Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Yet Another Request for Tire Suggestions

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-08, 04:53 PM
bert37

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've searched the archives, and read a few too many posts on the subject, to the point where I'm possibly worse off than when I began this search. ; )

I'm looking to replace the WTB All Terrainasaurus, 700x32C tires that came with a 2006 Bianchi Volpe I've recently purchased (tire weight: 615g).
The bike will be used 95% of the time for commuting / errands / transportation -- mostly on roads, some of them in bad shape. I don't have to commute much in wet weather. I'm not ultra-concerned with flats -- don't like em, but I'd rather deal with the occasional flat than suffer relatively poor ride quality from Gatorskins / Armadillos (what I hear). I like the plush ride of the existing 32c tires on the bike -- I just want something a bit more efficient -- slicker and ideally lighter.
I'm thinking 700x28-32c relatively slick tires would be ideal. I'm willing to spend good $, but don't feel the need to buy top of the line if a $30 tire will do just as well. Oh, reflective sidewalls would be nice, but not a must.
From what I have gathered, people speak the most positively, overall, about Continental and Schwalbe (Marathon) tires. I've also read good things about Specialized Nimbus tires.

Anyone care to help me make this decision? It'd be much appreciated..
Old 12-17-08, 05:01 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I really, really, really like the Marathon Supremes, but mine are 700X40.
Old 12-17-08, 05:08 PM
bert37

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wanderer - thanks for the suggestion. I would probably go for the x32 if I decide on the Marathon Supreme -- still pretty light, it seems (430g).

Not to threadjack my own thread, but.. folding vs. wire bead? I had wire beads on my previous commuter -- no real complaints, but I see my size isn't offered w/ wire bead. x40 is offered w/ both options... which one are you using?

thanks again..
Old 12-17-08, 05:19 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

I'm using the folders.

My main reason for getting these was that I USE to get a LOT of flats, and found out they also feel very easy to spin up.

The reflex sidewall is awesome.

I've had ZERO problems with these tires, and would buy another set in a heartbeat.
Old 12-17-08, 05:21 PM
huhenio
Barbieri Telefonico

Bikes: Crappy but operational secondhand Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Panaracer Crosstown.

Good grip in the snow and ice, virtually punctureproof.
Old 12-17-08, 05:29 PM
bert37

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by huhenio
Panaracer Crosstown.

Thank you for the additional suggestion. I should've also mentioned though, that I don't have to ride much in snow/icy conditions.
Old 12-17-08, 06:57 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Vittoria Randonneur. Great all-around tread for city commuting, gravelly curb lanes, and even dirt roads.
Old 12-17-08, 07:09 PM
pwdeegan
smitten by саша

Bikes: Salsa La Cruz with Rohloff; mutt parts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
pricey, but i'm riding continental 4-seasons 700x28 when there's no snow; they're as fast as any cheap-o semi-slick that i used to ride (cheap 700x19-23s), but they grip A LOT better in those rainy conditions (better by far than the bontragers and vittorias i used to ride). you might be able to find comparable tyres for less (check with people in your area, since they know your particular conditions best); i chose them because i've learned the hard way that tyres are the only thing that keep the bicycle (or any vehicle) on the road, so it doesn't really pay to cut corners here (especially since there are only two tyres, and not a lazy four!).
Old 12-17-08, 07:22 PM
modernjess
ride for a change

Bikes: Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Gatorskins poor ride? Not on my bike. My first set lasted over 3500m, They're fast, long lasting, great grip in all conditions (not ice or snow) great flat protection. What more is there? Cushy? No they aren't cushy. Thank god. Cushy = slow.
Old 12-17-08, 07:42 PM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm running Continental Touring Plus's, meet all your qualifications except for weight (mine are 800g in 35mm) I think the Top Contacts are lighter and equivalent without the heavier built in flat protection. Available in 28mm and 32mm : https://www.conti-online.com/generato...opcont_en.html

I love mine, but I only have several days on them and the honeymoon isn't over yet. Far cry better than the 700c x 38 WTB Interwolfs that came on the bike
Old 12-17-08, 08:06 PM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Gatorskins ride quite nice. I have no idea where that piece of info came from in the OP.
So:
1) Gatorskins
2) Vittoria Randonneur
Old 12-17-08, 08:07 PM
huhenio
Barbieri Telefonico

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bert37
Thank you for the additional suggestion. I should've also mentioned though, that I don't have to ride much in snow/icy conditions.
It happens sometimes.

Regarding puncture resistance = I you know what goatheads are, you should know that sometimes i go over 20 or more count of those without flats.

That being said, I ride with Mr Tuffy strips and puncture resistant (3mm) inner tubes
Old 12-18-08, 01:01 AM
UprightJoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Folding 700x28: Panaracer Pasela with TourGuard... I got mine from Velo Orange. I can't wait to put them back on in the spring.
Old 12-18-08, 01:21 AM
thirdin77

Bikes: 09 Specialized Tricross Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I asked nearly the same question here.

I've tried the 700x35 Forte tire that I was looking at. It seemed to induce about as much rolling resistance as my slick-centered/knobby-sided 700x32 Specialized Boroughs but the Fortes' higher pressure range of 80-90psi doesn't allow as good of impact absorption. So I'm back to the Boroughs.

A slick 700x32 that can be run down to 60psi would be good. Like this one. Now if I can only find it at $30/each, with free shipping..
Old 12-18-08, 01:53 AM
sunburst

Bikes: Giant, Peugeots, Motobecanes, Kona, Specialized, Bike Friday, Ironhorse, Royal Scot, Schwinns

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 52 Posts
I didn't like the Gatorskins I put on my road bike. Bicycling suggested the 28s to soften up the ride, but they are hi-pressure and stiff, imo.

I went on a long ride today on my touring/commuting bike that I fitted with the standard marathons, 700x28. The more I ride them, the more I like them. I run them about 80psi and they are much more comfortable than the Gatorskins. I got mine at Niagra for on sale for about $25 ea, if I remember right.

I put Conti Contacts, 700x32, on another bike, and like them quite a bit too. Hard to say which I like better, the Conti's or Schwalbe's. The Contact is also a lower pressure tire, with similar thread as the marathon, which I really like. It gives me some confidence when I ride on hard pack. I got them on sale at Nashbar for about what the marathons cost.

Both these rugged tires are about 200g heavier than Gatorskins, but I don't care too much. I don't feel it when I'm rolling.
Old 12-18-08, 07:00 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I second the Panaracer Pasela TGs in 700 x 28. Get the folding (kevlar bead) ones as they are much lighter. Lickbike.com had them for $26 each last time I checked.

Continental GP 4000 Four-Season or Gatorskins also would be a good choice, but might be harder to find in 28s. Check probikekit.com as they have great prices and selection on Conti tires.
Old 12-18-08, 09:39 AM
JeffS
not a role model

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Continental Gatorskin (28c) - nice ride. They are relatively new to me (maybe 1000 miles) with no flats. I would definitely buy them again at this point. The cost is reasonable, but there's not much rubber on them, which likely raises the true cost. They seem a little slick in the rain. It's not been a problem, and I think I only noticed it because I had just come off the extreme stickiness of the Marathon Supreme.

Specialized Nimbus (non-gatorskin) (28c) - nice ride and relatively trouble-free. They had fewer flats per mile than either the gatorskin or schwalbe marathon supreme. I would consider these over the gatorskin because they have a little more rubber on them.

Schwalbe Marathon Supreme (35c) - very comfortable, VERY high grip, fairly slow, overpriced (IMO). I would not buy these again for road use only. I would, however, consider them for something like a fast-rolling cyclocross tire

Specialized All-Condition Armadillo (23 and 25)
- These weren't terrible tires, but I won't buy any more. The 25's felt really dead. The 23's were ok. I got as many flats per mile on these as the Nimbus or Supreme. All of my flats come from metal - nails, etc. Nothing will help much there. I think they'd be better for someone getting most of their flats from glass or goat heads. Decent amount of rubber on them so they last a long time. I think the stiff sidewall helps protect against pinch flats.
Old 12-18-08, 10:25 AM
bcarter6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently switched to 23c Conti GP 4-seasons, ridden them for about 400 miles so far. Ridden them a number of times in the rain and have felt quite secure. Also, the roads I commute on are really bad, lots of little potholes and trash. I haven't had any flats yet, and I haven't had to pick any glass out of the tire yet. I have the foldable versions. They aren't cheap ($60 a piece) but they roll real easy and feel good on the road.

This was my first experience with 23c tires, previously I had been using 28c. The skinnier tire does add a little bit of speed to my ride, but I was worried that it would be a rather harsh feel. The ride is a bit rougher, but not at all bad. I really like these new tires, they were worth the price. Lets just hope I don't get many flats.
Old 12-18-08, 01:49 PM
david33610

Bikes: Trek 7100, Secialized Roubaix Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just pulled a nice size chunk of glass from my Bontrager race lite hardcase 700 x32 when I was looking over my bike here at work. but no flat
Old 12-18-08, 06:46 PM
bert37

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the looks/sounds of Panaracer Pasela and Vittoria Randonneur Hyper, for my purposes, the most.
The Hyper doesn't seem to be available anymore in anything thinner than 35, so I'll probably be giving the Paselas a try.

Thanks a lot for all of the responses..
Old 12-18-08, 07:23 PM
Jonahhobbes
Gutter Bunny

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
Vittoria Randonneur. Great all-around tread for city commuting, gravelly curb lanes, and even dirt roads.
Nice smooth ride and fine for nice surfaces. Yeah I liked them until they hit around 1000km then they started getting punctures around twice a week or so. I ditched them for Continental TopContacts and I'm over 1500km with just one puncture, which I'm not sure was even a puncture caused by road debris.
Old 12-18-08, 08:03 PM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Paselas work well, and they are cheap, so pay the extra for the tour-guard, and bring a tire boot with you for when your sidewall blows out.
Old 12-20-08, 09:21 AM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by huhenio
Panaracer Crosstown.

Those get re-badged as Forte Gothams but don't have the reflective strip. They are on sale at performance for $9.99 right now in the 700x35 size. Just threw a set on my bike and so fare I am VERY happy with them. A little heavy at 700g but from all the great review of how tough they are I'll take a few grams of weight over fixing flats any day.

Opps the really good sale is over. They are now back up to $11.99.
https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=5425
Old 12-20-08, 11:16 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Originally Posted by thirdin77
I asked nearly the same question here.

I've tried the 700x35 Forte tire that I was looking at. It seemed to induce about as much rolling resistance as my slick-centered/knobby-sided 700x32 Specialized Boroughs but the Fortes' higher pressure range of 80-90psi doesn't allow as good of impact absorption. So I'm back to the Boroughs.

A slick 700x32 that can be run down to 60psi would be good. Like this one. Now if I can only find it at $30/each, with free shipping..

I've had far too many flats with the Burrough. Schwalbe resolved that problem, and they ride and spin up every bit as nice. Plus, they glow in the dark (TIC)
Old 12-22-08, 10:29 AM
huhenio
Barbieri Telefonico

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Grim
Those get re-badged as Forte Gothams but don't have the reflective strip. They are on sale at performance for $9.99 right now in the 700x35 size. Just threw a set on my bike and so fare I am VERY happy with them. A little heavy at 700g but from all the great review of how tough they are I'll take a few grams of weight over fixing flats any day.

Opps the really good sale is over. They are now back up to $11.99.
https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=5425
My fastest commute on those tires is 16 mph door to door on 48x19 in commuter gear @ 40 farenheit.

They are slower, but I HATE flat tires.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.