Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Selling a bike that's too good for me

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-23, 08:50 AM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 351 Posts

This LeJeune was my pandemic project. I bought the frame from BF member big chainring--being irresistably drawn to the lovely willow-leaf seatstay caps, among other things. I built it up in a more or less period-correct manner, as is my wont. It was my first venture into tubular tires since 1971. it's just my size, and a great ride.

The thing is, it's too good for me. It has what I regard as an absolutely perfect level of patina--a few chips on the decals, the odd minor scratch in the still-gleaming paint, not a trace of rust. I only rode it twice before it dawned on me that it would quickly get beaten up on the gravel roads around here, which would be make me very sad. I can't even stand to store it in the shed with my other bikes, so it's hanging up in my shop and and taking up too much valuable space. It's time to get it into the hands of someone who lives somewhere with better roads and more storage space.

I'm guessing that others around here have had the same experience, but I don't ever recall reading about it. When I get around to it, I'll post it in the "for sale" thread.

Mods, if it's uncool to mention a bike being for sale in a thread like this, feel free to move or delete this.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Likes For jonwvara:
Old 08-15-23, 08:55 AM
Chuck Naill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
I understand if you want to sell it, but the idea that an object is too good for a person doesn't resonate with me. Nice work, BTW.
Likes For Chuck Naill:
Old 08-15-23, 08:58 AM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
Yeah, it's an old bicycle. If you think it's "too good for you" then I think you have some more fundamental issues to spend time working on than old bikes! No one should ever look at an object and think "I don't deserve that." It's a lump of bits of metal stuck together.

Too expensive? Sure. I've sold some things that I couldn't justify keeping because I was in a financial situation that required me to prioritize. Not useful? Sure. I've built up bicycles that I realized I wouldn't ride much because local conditions were not favorable. Not enough space? Something has to go - but if you aren't in financial straits then it shouldn't have to be the "best" of what you've got - get rid of the worst first!

-Gregory
Likes For Kilroy1988:
Old 08-15-23, 09:06 AM
Eyes Roll

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 49 Posts
Price?
Old 08-15-23, 09:08 AM
AngryScientist 
Lost

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 45 Posts
Nope, that concept does not exist in my world.

I would rather look at one of my bikes filthy, dirty and beat after memorable miles than pristine with shiny paint hanging in my office. The beauty of bikes is in the miles they are ridden IMO.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just not the way I think.
Old 08-15-23, 09:33 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked 2,293 Times in 1,281 Posts
Very nice bike , and you did a great job building it up .Maybe "too good" is the wrong way to look at it. Perhaps it would be the wrong application , but not too good IMHO. Most of my bikes are well used and show their history but I have a couple that are very nice. They all get treated the same! I was out on my Colnago last year and was caught in one of our many rain storms that we have had this past winter. I don't like riding in the rain and usually don't have to even think about it in Southern California , but I got caught and I just continued on . This is a bike that I had sent out to Franklin Frame to be totally restored with the original orange color , it is my grail bike . After the ride , I cleaned it and waxed the paint , polished the shiny bits , and rewaxed the chain. It has been on dirt roads , a little bit of pebbly gravel and many miles of rural and city roads. It is a better bike than I deserve but it ain't too good for me! I'm gonna ride the heck out of it.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 08-15-23, 09:43 AM
Sedgemop 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 1,214 Times in 651 Posts
I remember this frame. It was seriously tempting me back then, but I had just bought a PX-10. Looking forward to you posting it in the Sales Forum.

When I buy a nice bike, I briefly have twinges of feeling unworthy of the bike. That passes pretty quickly after a few rides, getting the bike dirty and a few new scratches in the paint. It's my bike once all that happens.
Old 08-15-23, 09:50 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,052 Times in 545 Posts
jonwvara Sell it. If you are uncomfortable using it let it go to someone else.

I’ll skip my philosophical treatise on this topic since it boils down to letting go.
Old 08-15-23, 10:09 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,630 Times in 934 Posts
I say keep it.
A while back I had a fancy race bike. After a long hiatus riding other bikes, I came back to it. I hated it. Debated selling it. Himmed & hawed for a while. It sat unused except for Zwift for a few years. Eventually, after all that time on the trainer, adjusting the fit, bit by bit, I got it back on the road. Swift, effortless, fast. Everything I had bought it for. "Sparks joy" is the phrase that pays. Had I sold it, I would have deprived myself the opportunity of many happy miles. Now that this rim braked & quick release bike is almost 8 years old, the brand worshipping paparazzi that caused me to feel self-conscious & obligated has mostly subsided. The added pressure of what others think & judge has been removed. Now I just ride it, knowing the bike is special, to me. I'm glad I kept it.

I have another custom bike that, to me is irreplaceable. I don't ride it that much. (Read: ever.) It's price was about 6 months pay at the time I got it. It still sparks joy every time I do ride it. It lives on a hook as a prize possession. It's as much a work of art as it is anything. It's a great bike. It's more than a bike & I treat it as such.

Just because you don't actively use a thing doesn't necessarily mean it will be better suited to someone elses hands. They may not understand what it means to you. What it's worthy of. What it's worth. That's all the more reason to safeguard it. IMO.

Last edited by base2; 08-15-23 at 05:50 PM.
Likes For base2:
Old 08-15-23, 10:11 AM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,128 Times in 427 Posts
I had a beautiful chrome Paramount that I just had to buy. After having it for awhile I realized that I didn’t like riding it because of the beautiful condition. And I just don’t have room for bikes I don’t ride. So I absolutely understand where your coming from.
Old 08-15-23, 10:25 AM
abdon 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 471 Times in 249 Posts
The good news is that there is a fix for that. It is called therapy because all that is most certainly in your head.

Think about it; does this mean that you would never be able to ride a brand new bike? It would be in a whole lot better shape than this one, it would cost you the same if not more, and you would have to subject it to the horrors of the road just the same.

Tell you what; for a solution cheaper than therapy box your bike and send it to me here in Alaska. I'll put a few hundred miles on it down gravel roads until it has so much gravel marks that you won't have to worry about another one. If this is what it takes for you to start enjoying your bike it will be worth it.
Old 08-15-23, 10:30 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by jonwvara

This LeJeune was my pandemic project. I bought the frame from BF member big chainring--being irresistably drawn to the lovely willow-leaf seatstay caps, among other things. I built it up in a more or less period-correct manner, as is my wont. It was my first venture into tubular tires since 1971. it's just my size, and a great ride.

The thing is, it's too good for me. It has what I regard as an absolutely perfect level of patina--a few chips on the decals, the odd minor scratch in the still-gleaming paint, not a trace of rust. I only rode it twice before it dawned on me that it would quickly get beaten up on the gravel roads around here, which would be make me very sad. I can't even stand to store it in the shed with my other bikes, so it's hanging up in my shop and and taking up too much valuable space. It's time to get it into the hands of someone who lives somewhere with better roads and more storage space.

I'm guessing that others around here have had the same experience, but I don't ever recall reading about it. When I get around to it, I'll post it in the "for sale" thread.

Mods, if it's uncool to mention a bike being for sale in a thread like this, feel free to move or delete this.
If it's perfect and you like riding it except for the dings and scrapes of use, may I suggest Heli Tape (AKA polyurethane film tape)?

Rumor is that this or a similar product is applied to the leading edge of helicopter rotor blades to shield them from wear. Apply it to the downtube, bottom bracket, and drive side chainstay, and anywhere else you want to protect the frame, maybe the outside edges of the fork blades, the other chain stay, and the outside of the seat stays (those are more for scuffs and scrapes from leaning the bike, transport, etc). There are various thicknesses, but most come as a 3 mil thickness to provide cushioning for impacts. If you are flying through flinty scree, you might want a heavier tape.

If you've ever put a screen protector on a cell phone, you'd apply this the same way.
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 08-15-23, 10:31 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
I like Lejeune’s very much. I now have four. Angst over one? My notes would be to move to traditional looking tires, a silver seat post and Red bar tape as was original.
Old 08-15-23, 10:34 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Lejeune bikes are staggeringly underappreciated. Even BikesDirect apparently never made an offer for the rights to the name. Me, I'd spend half an hour reorganizing my bike storage and keep the Lejeune.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 08-15-23, 10:50 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
A set of fenders would help protect the paint. But just as it was your decision to buy the bike, it's up to you if you want to sell. Riding is supposed to be fun, and if you feel like you'd be worried about it, then it makes sense to sell.
Old 08-15-23, 10:59 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
I've got a bunch of project bikes that I'm intimidated by, because I don't have the time, money, focus and skills to do right by them.. And yet they keep sneaking in the garage......
Old 08-15-23, 11:01 AM
SurferRosa
seńor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 08-15-23, 11:22 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
I get it. I had an '87 Ironman in the Miami Vice colorway that I scored in as new condition. I rode it awhile and put a scratch in the top tube paint. I convinced myself to sell it before I dinged it up anymore.
Old 08-15-23, 11:23 AM
Headpost

Bikes: I've stopped at seven.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 185 Posts
If you are not already in sales, may I suggest a new career for you.

EDIT: Didn't really understand what you were saying when I wrote that; the bike is not "too good for you," it's too pristine and too easily damaged.

Hope you find your perfect ride. Really be sure you want to sell it, though, because you may miss it!

Last edited by Headpost; 08-15-23 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-15-23, 11:27 AM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
Originally Posted by jonwvara
I'm guessing that others around here have had the same experience, but I don't ever recall reading about it.
I can relate to this. I sold my Singer because it deserved to be in better hands than mine for the sake of its preservation.
It hurt a little to see it go but it went to a friend so I'm glad about that.
On loan to Scott for Cino by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Got one more bike in this same category that should go to a better home - one of these days I intend to sell it too. 1937 Hobbs of Barbican. I've just ridden it once in the past two years.
The Old Brit by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr
Old 08-15-23, 11:48 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked 2,293 Times in 1,281 Posts
Matt , I didn't know you sold that Singer. That is the bike you were riding when I met you in Paso Robles California ? I think it is . You looked so comfy on that bike when we went on that ride. 2016 , I think.
Old 08-15-23, 11:54 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
as always your bike, your feelings, your life, your choice

my approach is ride my "best" bike as much as I can. bikes are meant to be used and put smiles on your face. so i ride my Kirk for commuting and weekend rides as much as possible

so if you don't get smile on your face when you ride the Le Jeune, then maybe it should go, otherwise ride and enjoy (of course there are all the other conideratios, like space etc)

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 08-15-23, 12:53 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,714 Times in 2,613 Posts
And all of this time, I've been assuming I'm just too good for my bikes.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 08-15-23, 01:12 PM
Sedgemop 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 1,214 Times in 651 Posts
Originally Posted by northbend

Got one more bike in this same category that should go to a better home - one of these days I intend to sell it too. 1937 Hobbs of Barbican. I've just ridden it once in the past two years.
The Old Brit by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr
Man, this Hobbs is awesome. Unfortunately, it's too small (but not too good), for me.
Old 08-15-23, 03:07 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
I like Lejeune’s very much. I now have four. Angst over one? My notes would be to move to traditional looking tires, a silver seat post and Red bar tape as was original.
I knew I'd get busted for that seatpost! Hey, it was the first months of the pandemic, I didn't have a silver post the right size, and couldn't find one anywhere. And I had a roll of black tape, but no red. Also, I never managed to learn much about LeJeunes, or what the original specs of this model might have been, or what model it is, or the year of manufacture. Around 1973-4? In building it up, I relied on semi-educated guesswork, and what I had in my parts bin at the time.

I suppose I could have been clearer in my original post. It's not that the bike is too good for me, really--I consider myself to be a good person with a certain amount of patina--but that I have also been working on downsizing for several years. I've owned as many as eight or nine bikes at one time (which is nothing around here, I realize), but I set myself the goal of whipping the total down to three. I now have a modern touring bike (a ten-year-old Long Haul Trucker 26); a Univega Viva Sport with studded tires for winter use, and a paint-challenged Gitane TDF for the fun of it.

So the LeJeune spot is already filled by the Gitane, and I am happy with that because the Gitane and I have a history, and the LeJeune and I don't. Here's hoping it goes to someone who specifically wants it.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Likes For jonwvara:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.