Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Faceted French Fender Radius Reduction?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-23, 06:30 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts

I have a couple sets of stainless faceted French fenders. They came off 27" bikes and are 40 and 45mm respectively. I have a Manufrance frame that looks to be built for 650bx38 tires and a maximum of 55mm fenders. The 45mm fenders have extra shaping to integrate with racks that may or not end up working with the frame. The 40mm fenders are on a Gitane and are very nice but I suspect too narrow to start with. So while I may not have the fenders that will work for this particular bike, yet... they both have a faceted profile, like the Velo Orange Zeppelin fenders.

Which brings me to my actual question: Does a faceted profile on a fender effect attempts to change the radius of a fender, verses a smooth or dimpled fender?

Last edited by bark_eater; 09-17-23 at 06:36 AM.
Old 09-17-23, 06:41 AM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 757 Posts
I haven't gone to the extreme of re-radius'ing fenders from one wheel size to another, but I'm a bit OCD about getting a nice fender line. I've massaged both faceted and dimpled/hammered styles and I didn't notice a significant difference in difficulty (none of them have been fun on the carbo-metacarpal joint!
Old 09-19-23, 08:17 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
I would think the bigger issue is that they are stainless, which ime tends to resist cold working.