Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

FB Marketplace: This sure looks like a scam

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-23, 10:06 AM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts

I've listed items on Facebook Marketplace on and off for awhile. This latest scam only appeared in the last week or so. Goes like this.

I'll list an item, and very soon after listing (<15 min.), I'll get a msg: "Hi, can I pickup today? Text me at (xxx)xxx-xxxx. Thanks!

First time I got this, texted and asked when they wanted to pick up. They responded, "First, I have to make sure it's you. Can I send you a code?"

My response: "I don't do codes. Thanks for your interest."

I'm guessing they send you a code laced with malware in a phishing attempt.

Since that first msg, I've gotten many in the same vein, just after listing. The difference is now, I only respond to those with a local area code. Out-of-state area codes get blocked, and I move on.

Heads up. I really hate that it comes to this, but if you're in the marketplace, you have to adapt.
Likes For bargainguy:
Old 09-30-23, 10:09 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
I do all communication through FB messenger only. no way I'm giving them phone or email
Likes For dedhed:
Old 09-30-23, 10:35 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 945 Posts
Yes, it’s a scam. There’s no reason to respond to it.

The “send a code” isn’t a “thing” anyway. It’s meant to have you think it’s like the “two factor” stuff you get when logging into your bank (which is a “thing”) so you think they are “serious”.

Don’t go off platform for messages or payments. Don’t let your interest in selling something encourage you to break this rule (this is what the scammers are trying to exploit).

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-30-23 at 10:44 AM.
Old 09-30-23, 11:51 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
It might well be a scammer. Might also just be someone's idea of fun for the boring life they lead. Seems that more and more I'm hearing the same type things going on with FB marketplace that has been going on with Craigslist for most all of this century if not prior also. Craigslist did provide a way to have conversations about the item for sale without having to disclose phone number or email. I hope FB marketplace does too.

Lately for things that are too big to go in the mail or package delivery, I'm happy just sending them to the scrapyard to be recycled if there are no friends that want it.
Old 09-30-23, 12:19 PM
ralphs

Bikes: 2001 Trek 7200, GT Avalanche, and more

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 65 Posts
I never share my phone number with FBM buyers. When they reply within minutes of my posting, it's usually someone that joined in 2023, and they ask for number, ultimately to text a code back or something like that. It's a known scam, somehow they can take control of your profile. Don't know how they do it.
I don't even have people pick up at my house anymore (even for free items); after some unstable person wanted their money back- they changed their mind about a $40 professionally-framed photograph (after taking it home). Said I was a scammer, threatened to call police. "Dude, sorry you changed your mind, I'm not scamming people $40 at a time. Here's your $40, get off my property."
Old 09-30-23, 06:09 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
It sounds like a scam to me. I wouldn't give my number out to anyone unless I knew them.
Old 09-30-23, 06:24 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
After dozen of scam messages. And then people being flakes. I finally sold my bike.

I did start screwing with the scammers.

They have canned responses.

The ad clearly said medium.

They start with saying they are 6'1" what size is bike? It's a medium. They say perfect, then go into the they will send money. Blah blah.

So the next scammer ask, what condition is the bike in. I say it's beat up and abused. The canned response. "Perfect". 😆 lol hahaha
Old 09-30-23, 09:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
After dozen of scam messages. And then people being flakes.
California's got the most of them! Boy they got a host of them...
Old 09-30-23, 10:29 PM
twogears
Turtoise Wins By a Hare

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Classic. I don't know anything about this scheme, but it sounds like maybe this:

Perp says, they're sending you a code, but actually, they are attempting to login to your account, and the site is sending the code, notifying you of the unknown login attempt.

The only way the scammer gets in is, if he can convince you he is the one sending the code, and that you are reading it back to verify what he has sent. If you read back the code, he is then able to verify he is the owner of your account.
Old 09-30-23, 10:54 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
It is indeed a scam. I fell for it the first time I used FB Marketplace because it seemed reasonable .... luckily I have good protection at my various financial institutions and was not harmed.

The fake buyer sets up an account in your name for some fake service, using your email or phone number, and when you send the code you are confirming you want the service .... just as scammers used to try to get people to say "Yes" on the phone so they could record it and play it back to confirm purchases, or change the info on your bank account or whatever. I was signed up for some innocuous-sounding "web services" from some fake company which probably had success because a lot of people didn't notice the monthly withdrawal for a few months .... and have so many "web services" between streaming channels, shopping apps, social media apps .....

I caught on after the second person demanded I send a code or "verify" that I was a real account with a phone number ... even my wife's phone number, or a friend's .... Later I got a notice from my financial protection service and never lost a cent, but well .... snot ... i fell for it the first time.

I don't know why I thought Facebook would try to protect people using Marketplace, but i found about 80% of respondents were scammers. However, I have sold a tone of stuff to the legitimate 20%. Whenever I post something, I know to expect the first hour will be solid scams. As others have said ... we are already communicating via Facebook, no need for any further info exchange. I will meet to in a public place near to the item and I will (on occasion) snap a photo and email it to my wife---sort of "If I don't come home, this is the guy to thank."
Old 10-01-23, 07:08 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
It is indeed a scam. I fell for it the first time I used FB Marketplace because it seemed reasonable .... luckily I have good protection at my various financial institutions and was not harmed.

The fake buyer sets up an account in your name for some fake service, using your email or phone number, and when you send the code you are confirming you want the service .... just as scammers used to try to get people to say "Yes" on the phone so they could record it and play it back to confirm purchases, or change the info on your bank account or whatever. I was signed up for some innocuous-sounding "web services" from some fake company which probably had success because a lot of people didn't notice the monthly withdrawal for a few months .... and have so many "web services" between streaming channels, shopping apps, social media apps .....

I caught on after the second person demanded I send a code or "verify" that I was a real account with a phone number ... even my wife's phone number, or a friend's .... Later I got a notice from my financial protection service and never lost a cent, but well .... snot ... i fell for it the first time.

I don't know why I thought Facebook would try to protect people using Marketplace, but i found about 80% of respondents were scammers. However, I have sold a tone of stuff to the legitimate 20%. Whenever I post something, I know to expect the first hour will be solid scams. As others have said ... we are already communicating via Facebook, no need for any further info exchange. I will meet to in a public place near to the item and I will (on occasion) snap a photo and email it to my wife---sort of "If I don't come home, this is the guy to thank."
Thank you!

I never give my phone number out in any listing deal, but I always wondered why I get so many responses of the type, "I'll take it..send me your phone number..". They always seem more interested in my phone number than what I'm selling. When I respond that CL email will do..then I get no response back, which is what I expect. Actually, about 95% of the time, I just delete such initial responses without any reply.
Likes For fishboat: