Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I made the mistake of riding it...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-14, 04:12 PM
NOS88

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

This weekend I rebuilt a 1980's Specialized Sirrus road bike. It got new bearings in wheels, crank, and headset. I swapped out the old 105 shifters for Ultegra brifters. Of course this then meant a nine speed Ultegra setup for cassette, rear derailleur, and new chain. New cables and housing all around were next. Wheels were thrown in the truing stand and gone over, new handlebar tape applied, and slightly used 28's replaced the old tires. Oh, yeah, I almost forgot; while the crank was pulled to do the bearings, I decided to put in a Ritchey compact. All of this was done so I could pass the bike along to my youngest son. He's never really been that much into riding, but since he's been living in downtown Philadelphia, he bikes everywhere on an old mountain bike way too small for him. I've been impressed with the turn around. I figured it was time to thin the herd; I had all the parts, and the Sirrus hasn't seen any miles for almost 15 years. So, I asked last week if he was interested in a swap - the rebuilt bike for help cleaning out the gutters this fall. I enjoy the wrenching and hate climbing ladders. I figured it would be a good trade. But then I made the mistake of riding the rebuilt Sirrus to make sure everything was OK. The thing's a freaking rocket. How I ever stopped riding this is beyond me. I'm sitting here wondering if I really want to give it up, and if the gutters really need to be cleaned this year. What to do? What to do?
Old 11-04-14, 05:23 PM
Jinkster

Bikes: 2013 Specialized CrossTrail Disc,2004 Giant OCR3,1999 Trek Mountain Track Sport 800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 26 Posts
Well?...at the risk of sounding brash?....(which I hope I don't)....

1. It's..."A Bike"

2. That's...."Your Son"

3. And you gave him..."Your Word"

So I hoping that if there ever was any question that it's completely rhetorical in nature and you just wanted to let us know your son is getting a heck of a bike!
Old 11-04-14, 05:30 PM
CrankyFranky
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
That's the main problem with bikemania, I think. You get used to riding a few of the others, develop a favorite, and then the rest of the herd gets put out to pasture. Until you try to thin the herd.
Old 11-04-14, 05:45 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 138 Posts
I sort of have the same issue going.

Now that I have a new mtn bike, I'm fixing up my old 95 Tange DB framed Trek 850 Antelope to give to my daughter. It used to be my ride it hard and put it away wet bike. I always did enough to keep it running well, but never enough to keep it pretty, so it was looking like a bike that never got a bath.

As I've been restoring it, and it keeps looking better, I keep thinking "maybe she won't like it" and I can do a drop bar conversion on now that it's looking like it should have all along.
Old 11-05-14, 02:46 AM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Buy your daughter a flashy Walmart bike, keep the Trek yourself.

You know it makes sense.
Old 11-05-14, 03:40 AM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
I hope your son appreciates and uses his great old classic. Go riding with him and see whose bike gets the compliments of the two of you. That way maybe he'll realize what he's got.
Old 11-05-14, 06:57 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Build a Cannondale Criterium Series. Those too, are "freaking rockets". Do the swap/barter, too many nice bikes out there and you know what to do. N+1.
Old 11-05-14, 11:15 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 837 Posts
I gave my elder son my Peugeot PKN-10 of that vintage because he stands 3" taller than I do and it fits him well. At least this bike, one of the nicest and most versatile riders I have ever owned, went to a good home, and I get to see it now and then.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 11-05-14, 01:39 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Clean them out, I have to get the flashing replaced on the edge of the roof so the water goes into the gutters in the 1st place rather than down the window..

only a 20 foot section.. one estimate-bid $400. seeking a lesser cost.
Old 11-06-14, 04:08 AM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Jinkster
So I hoping that if there ever was any question that it's completely rhetorical in nature and you just wanted to let us know your son is getting a heck of a bike!
+1. I hope your son enjoys the rocket.
Old 11-06-14, 06:26 AM
a77impala
a77impala

Bikes: 04=LeMond Arravee, 08 LeMond Versailles, 92 Trek 970

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I have a habit of giving family members bikes I don't really want to sell. That way they are still around and can be admired.
Old 11-06-14, 11:22 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 837 Posts
Originally Posted by a77impala
I have a habit of giving family members bikes I don't really want to sell. That way they are still around and can be admired.
I keep wishing my wife's younger sister would do that with the ca. 1970 light blue over chrome full 531/Campag. Carlton she hasn't ridden in years.
Of course, since she just retired and got on a fitness kick, she might rediscover it.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 11-06-14, 12:22 PM
RatMudd
All Terrain UFO

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Build a Cannondale Criterium Series. Those too, are "freaking rockets". Do the swap/barter, too many nice bikes out there and you know what to do. N+1.

Agreed. I had an early 90's SR600 with the criterium frame in high school. That thing would accelerate like no other bike I've ever had. It would just explode underneath me in a city block's length. Quite the teeth and bone rattler with the 700 x 20c's I had on it but I loved it. Was quite fun. I would love to buy another old one someday for an errand-runner.

Or he could get a new Sirrus I had to look it up. I'm digging the paint scheme big time:
Specialized Bicycle Components

But, yeah, a word is a word. Can't be an Indian Giver

That old Sirrus sounds like a very well thought out build. I'm sure he'll love it for a city rocket, assuming the fit is good.

Last edited by RatMudd; 11-06-14 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-06-14, 02:37 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by RatMudd
Agreed. I had an early 90's SR600 with the criterium frame in high school. That thing would accelerate like no other bike I've ever had. It would just explode underneath me in a city block's length. Quite the teeth and bone rattler with the 700 x 20c's I had on it but I loved it. Was quite fun. I would love to buy another old one someday for an errand-runner.

Or he could get a new Sirrus I had to look it up. I'm digging the paint scheme big time:
Specialized Bicycle Components

But, yeah, a word is a word. Can't be an Indian Giver

That old Sirrus sounds like a very well thought out build. I'm sure he'll love it for a city rocket, assuming the fit is good.
I'm sure this will have a good ending.

Ride fast, everything in life has a nice blur.

Here is mine, an '88 Criterium Series I built last winter:

Old 11-06-14, 03:08 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
There are lots of nice bikes out there, even lots of nice freakin' rockets. But out of all of them, you offered your son that one. I'm sure it won't be too hard to find another one for yourself.

Or maybe you'll get lucky and he won't want to help you with the gutters.
Old 11-09-14, 01:11 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
Keep the bike, you saved it 15 years knowing it could be good. He's a hard working, urban, young man who likely appreciates making his own purchasing decisions. Let him learn independence, the gutters can wait til next year.
Old 11-09-14, 03:24 PM
NOS88

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Well I delivered the bike to him this afternoon. He was extremely grateful, and I believe he will be quite appreciative of what he's now riding. Here's what was delivered.

BTW, my wife just now caught me browsing online for the n+1 to replace it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Sirrus.jpg (49.1 KB, 263 views)

Last edited by NOS88; 11-09-14 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-09-14, 06:14 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Busted!

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 11-10-14, 05:17 AM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Nos, is it me or are those handlebars tilted a bit down?
Old 11-10-14, 06:31 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Downtown Phili may be too nice an environ for a Specialized Road Bike to be left unattended. Unless your son never intends to leave it unattended, that may be your mutual rationalization to reconsider.
Old 11-10-14, 08:10 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Jinkster
Well?...at the risk of sounding brash?....(which I hope I don't)....

1. It's..."A Bike"

2. That's...."Your Son"

3. And you gave him..."Your Word"

And what could be more satisfying that watching one's son take up the same sport that you like so much?

My daughter has my wife's old road bike circa 1980. I rebuilt it for university riding. It's got a set of old hand built Mavic MA-40 wheels on Campy hubs. Really a nice bike and just classic. She rides it everywhere. Somehow, I think the bike is happy too.

J.
Old 11-10-14, 09:12 AM
NOS88

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey

Nos, is it me or are those handlebars tilted a bit down?
Yes, the bars are titled down a bit. It's an old school habit of aiming the ends of the bar toward the rear dropout. Several of my bikes are setup this way. When my son has ridden my bikes, he's noted that he likes them with "the hoods a bit lower." I think this may be a comfort thing because of two broken wrists he suffered in a skateboarding accident. (I am SO GLAD he's past that stage.)

Originally Posted by oddjob2
Downtown Phili may be too nice an environ for a Specialized Road Bike to be left unattended. Unless your son never intends to leave it unattended, that may be your mutual rationalization to reconsider.
He does tech work in several theatres in Philly and takes the bike into the building with him. He's also very good about using a u-lock and cable lock in tandem. So, hopefully he'll be able to hang on to it. I think he'll be even more protective of this bike. One of the things he said when I gave it to him was, "Gee, the wheels on this alone are worth more than my bike." Of course, I couldn't resist by responding, "This is your bike." He grinned.

Originally Posted by JohnJ80
And what could be more satisfying that watching one's son take up the same sport that you like so much?J.
Yes, sir. It is a nice feeling. Both sons are now riding. The older one was always interested and I think he had as much or more influence in getting the younger one interested.
Old 11-10-14, 09:17 AM
NOS88

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Busted!
Yeah, Bill; I am busted. Although I may get away with it. Last week I shipped a rebuilt cross bike to my oldest son in your sunshine state. He's commuting along US 1 between Lake Worth & West Palm Beach. His main road bike is taking a beating and I had the cross frame that was too small for me. In any event, I might be successful with the argument that I've cleared out two; so, adding one isn't really all that bad. And then again, maybe not.
Old 11-11-14, 10:30 AM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88

He does tech work in several theatres in Philly and takes the bike into the building with him. He's also very good about using a u-lock and cable lock in tandem. So, hopefully he'll be able to hang on to it. I think he'll be even more protective of this bike. One of the things he said when I gave it to him was, "Gee, the wheels on this alone are worth more than my bike." Of course, I couldn't resist by responding, "This is your bike." He grinned.

Yes, sir. It is a nice feeling. Both sons are now riding. The older one was always interested and I think he had as much or more influence in getting the younger one interested.
^^ The bond between father and son is priceless. I'd give any or all of my bikes for this.
Old 12-03-14, 09:10 PM
altondavis2

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I know luv when I see it

Heck, keep it, you know u luv it more than he ever will.
Fork up $150 and get him a decent buy from a used bike shop.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.