Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Feeling Old vs Being Old

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Feeling Old vs Being Old

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-14, 12:55 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Feeling Old vs Being Old

This seems a good topic for this group!

Makes a difference to uh . . . mortality. But I think we all know that, really.

JAMA Network | JAMA Internal Medicine | Feeling Old vs Being Old: *Associations Between Self-perceived Age and Mortality

Too bad we can't see the whole article for free, but the first page pretty much tells the story. I subscribe, so I've read the whole thing.

How old do you feel compared to your calendar age?
Old 12-20-14, 01:27 PM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
About 35. I have been telling people for years and recently I went in for the whole medical workup and everything is just as it was 35 years ago. I have about 6% more bodyfat than I would like, but it is well below average for a 62 year old and acceptable for a 30 year old. Just a dirty old man trapped in a 30 year old's body. Tomorrow will be some moderate weather, I'll go out and do a metric for a kick.

Marc
Old 12-20-14, 01:42 PM
Ursa Minor

Bikes: rivendell romulus terratrike rover

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm only 15 years old! Of course that's in base 59.

Charlie
Old 12-20-14, 01:45 PM
Captlink

Bikes: Univega/custom,Evil Brut Fatbike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today I feel about 80 though in my fifties.I still think like I'm nineteen though and am trying to live up to my own self image.This I think is healthy as long as I don't drink,stay up late,eat spicy food or do heroic acts of strength. I also try to keep a good sense of humor.
Old 12-20-14, 01:59 PM
Zapdaba

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Expert 2012, Specialized Stump jumper HT comp carbon, Swobo Sanchez custom build single speed freewheel.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live by this factor. I have always had an energetic perception of the world and used my body to vigorously pursue many of the engaging activities this life offers. I'm not a fitness freak, but I've always tracked to the upper percentages of activity relative to my age. And I suppose most of the folks on this forum are this way too. The other day I was thinking about how healthy I am and then I laughed because I am: 66, Type 1 diabetic (since age 57, go figure), arthritis in hands that flares up periodically, lose of cartilage in wrists making shooting a ******* stronger than a .22 painful, Wear two hearing aids (lifelong nerve deafness that just progressed as I got older), wear trifocals, missing as many teeth as I have left...but none of that matters. I work as the senior copywriter in a young company and I'm always coming up with fresh and original ideas. I can easily ride 50 miles on my road bike, or climb the hills around the city on my 44 x16 single speed and commute to work daily. I climb mountains on a mountain bike and love the steep approaches, because you elevate your view faster. And I do all this, not to get into shape or "be healthy" but because I am passionate about investing my spirit into this life. I would only add that working the "creative" muscle is well advised in senior years, but don't wait that long to start. All material things pass, but art last longer.
Old 12-20-14, 02:26 PM
NVanHiker

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Interesting concept. I'm 67, feel 30's. And that's only because I was in better shape in my 30's than my 20's.
Old 12-20-14, 02:27 PM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 111 Posts
I'm 60 and have the body of a Greek god. But he wants it back...

SP
OC, OR
Old 12-20-14, 02:29 PM
Grillparzer
Grillparzer

Bikes: Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Zapdaba
Wow you can't say the word that means the thing you hold in your hand that shoots lead. Amazing.
At my age that could be a number of things.

The word your thinking about was banned due to some contention on the subject.
Old 12-20-14, 03:07 PM
Zapdaba

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Expert 2012, Specialized Stump jumper HT comp carbon, Swobo Sanchez custom build single speed freewheel.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Stick it to the man.

I love slinging lead at 3600fps with my .257wby mag.
Hopefully from the shoulder and while not on a bike!
Old 12-20-14, 03:20 PM
Rich Gibson 

Bikes: Fuji Rubaix 1.0

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been riding 16 months now and got my start seeking encouragement here. On my second bike, a Fuji and have had two fittings. The second was with a highly regarded pro rather than the duty store fitter and it made a world of difference. With no knee problems I'm just under 6000 miles and loving it. I'm 72 and, cardiovascularly, better than I've ever been in my life, including four year at the Naval Academy. Cycling has changed my life.

Rich
Old 12-20-14, 03:28 PM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I look old. Older than I want to feel, older than I act. Now I look like the creepy old guy because I don't act as old as I look. Pretty old story. Sorry.
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.
Old 12-20-14, 03:32 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I took one of those on-line survey things on this subject and it calculated that I was 47. Since I was 64 when I completed that survey I was pretty happy with 47. The other side of the coin, of course, is that those surveys are pretty worthless!

Big picture, I don't worry about it. I don't have any major physical problems and the minor ones (asthma, very near-sighted, some lower back pain) aren't too tough to deal with. Hope to keep on riding for quite a few more years!

Rick / OCRR
Old 12-20-14, 03:34 PM
KLiNCK
Optically Corrected

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus , 2012 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 30 Posts
Get off my lawn!!!
Old 12-21-14, 07:48 AM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
I'm 67 and recently took one of those surveys, and it told me my health/fitness age was 45.

What a load of rubbish! 21 years ago I was a hell of a lot fitter/healthier than I am now. I have more aches and pains, more visits to the doc, am slower and less strong, take longer to heal after falls, but am not on any regular medicines other than an asthma inhaler.

I am older and often, but not always, feel older, and I am still more likely than not to pop my clogs in the next 20 years but the good thing is I still enjoy life, and worrying about ageing is just going to bring forward that day.

Christmas greetings from Wales

Old 12-21-14, 08:38 AM
benetga

Bikes: Trek 1.1, Nashbar Carbon105 , Specialized Rockhopper-SS, Aventon Aventure

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Zapdaba
I live by this factor. I have always had an energetic perception of the world and used my body to vigorously pursue many of the engaging activities this life offers. I'm not a fitness freak, but I've always tracked to the upper percentages of activity relative to my age. And I suppose most of the folks on this forum are this way too. The other day I was thinking about how healthy I am and then I laughed because I am: 66, Type 1 diabetic (since age 57, go figure), arthritis in hands that flares up periodically, lose of cartilage in wrists making shooting a ******* stronger than a .22 painful, Wear two hearing aids (lifelong nerve deafness that just progressed as I got older), wear trifocals, missing as many teeth as I have left...but none of that matters. I work as the senior copywriter in a young company and I'm always coming up with fresh and original ideas. I can easily ride 50 miles on my road bike, or climb the hills around the city on my 44 x16 single speed and commute to work daily. I climb mountains on a mountain bike and love the steep approaches, because you elevate your view faster. And I do all this, not to get into shape or "be healthy" but because I am passionate about investing my spirit into this life. I would only add that working the "creative" muscle is well advised in senior years, but don't wait that long to start. All material things pass, but art last longer.
nicely written
Old 12-21-14, 08:57 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Granted some have physical problems that kind of render them old. But some of us, Im 76, are ticking right along. I have never been in a hospital or had an operation. With a some minor exceptions I dont feel much different than I did 25 years ago. I normally ride somewhere between 2 and 3 thousand miles a year, which does not include the 4 or so coldest months of the year. As I have stated in other threads on this forum, I contribute my good health to the fact I stay active, and mainly because I bike. I fully believe it is what keeps me young. I also believe if you set you rust.
Old 12-21-14, 09:00 AM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
An alternative view of the topic:

These kinds of studies are based on a premise that I believe is somewhat faulty and ageist in nature. There is a difference between functional ability, perceived health, and pain or discomfort related to illness/disease and getting old. To equate these with age or that of feeling healthy with youth is a faulty presupposition. Yet, many still persist in holding this as an acceptable truth. Too often these subtle beliefs manifest themselves in negative attitudes toward aging. I try to live by the thought that I am not who I was yesterday or who I will be tomorrow. On any given day I may have more or less of a given ability. I may feel more or less pain and discomfort. Age is not the way I choose to define this phenomenon.
Old 12-21-14, 10:23 AM
welshTerrier2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy

Too bad we can't see the whole article for free, but the first page pretty much tells the story. I subscribe, so I've read the whole thing.
WebMD has an article about the JAMA study: Feel Younger Than Your Age? It May Help You Live Longer ? WebMD

Here's an excerpt:

"Optimism in many ways is a self-fulfilling prophecy," he said. "If you feel your life and your health is largely under your control, and you believe you are capable of doing things like managing stress, eating right and exercising, then you are more likely to do those things."

It would seem that in many cases, happy, or at least optimistic, translates to healthy. Of course, no one gets a guarantee.

Last edited by welshTerrier2; 12-21-14 at 10:58 AM.
Old 12-21-14, 10:24 AM
Zapdaba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tractorlegs
Of course you can say it . You can't type it into the forums, however. But you can say it all you want.

Back to the OP - My wife says I'm 8. I look my age (61). Being an 8-year-old old person an ideal recipe for being a grandfather lol . . .
Well, I just want to ride with the big guns. This is what I am shooting for in 2015. Want to stay on target so that age doesn't recoil on me. I aim to keep the powder dry and reload as much as possible.
Old 12-21-14, 10:48 AM
ModeratedUser150120149

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Every once in a while someone does a "study" like this. Mainly, I think because their professional career is enhanced by publishing. Most of them, including this one, aren't very applicable to the real world. Yes indeed a positive attitude makes a difference. It is a lot easier to have a positive attitude if you have the right genes. As has been pointed out there is often a significant difference between Life and Healthy Life. At its' extreme there is a saying in EMS that with drugs and electricity a rock can be made to have a heartbeat and be "alive". A bit overstated but makes the point.

We all know people who are in those facilities that, by any name, are functionally warehouses for the dying. The contents of these facilities often seem happy. That is a testimony to the ability of the human mind to adapt and make the best of a situation. In many ways no different than the Black Humor of people in jobs where they have to deal with gross things.

Personally, I have always had a saying that is appropriate here: "Don't build a box around yourself and you won't have to learn to think outside it". In many ways people who "think young" are not thinking young as much as they are thinking outside the society imposed box.
Old 12-21-14, 10:53 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I hate to be a downer, but maybe the people don't feel as old as their chronological age because they have fewer ailments, and because of that they live longer? Cart before the horse in other words.
Old 12-21-14, 02:06 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I hate to be a downer, but maybe the people don't feel as old as their chronological age because they have fewer ailments, and because of that they live longer? Cart before the horse in other words.
"The effect held even after researchers accounted for things that might make a person feel older than they are [emphasis mine], such as chronic health problems, difficulty with mobility or mental health issues like depression, said senior study author Andrew Steptoe, director of the Institute of Epidemiology and Health Care at University College London."

-mr. bill
Old 12-21-14, 06:58 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
"The effect held even after researchers accounted for things that might make a person feel older than they are [emphasis mine], such as chronic health problems, difficulty with mobility or mental health issues like depression, said senior study author Andrew Steptoe, director of the Institute of Epidemiology and Health Care at University College London."

-mr. bill
OK but did they account for things that make a person feel younger than their years?
Old 12-21-14, 07:10 PM
vtdougie

Bikes: Felt Z-5 Cannondale Quick 5

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I turned 50 I wished I felt like I did when I was 40. When I turned 60 I was thinking I wished I felt like I did when I was 50. I realized I better start enjoying feeling like I do now because it's better than how I will feel later. The old adage, use it or lose it are words to live by.
Old 12-21-14, 07:36 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
This is a great thread, let's please keep the comments on topic: "Feeling Old vs. Being Old".

Thank you,

trac

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.