Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone here use Vuelta Corsa Lite wheels?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-13, 09:52 PM
dralways

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

https://www.nashbar.com/webapp/wcs/s...uctDisplayView

Or any Vuelta wheels? At under $250 shipped from some sources and under 1600g in weight with nothing but positive reviews even from 200lb riders on roadbikereview, I've got the itch considering I'm in the market though not in an emergency.

Anyone on this forum use this wheelset? Comments?
Old 04-30-13, 10:15 PM
buffalowings

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a set of Vuelta corsa lites, my odometer tells me I have about 800-900 miles on them so far, going to get them trued up soon because they have had a fair share of hard knocks so they are just slightly out of true right now. Still running very nicely, hubs spin much nicer compared to the wheelset that came with my bike. One issue is the aluminum cassette hub, it's soft so the cassette has dug into it making removal hard. Other than that, very nice wheels for $220-250. The stickers are tacky and start peeling really quickly, but they are also very easy to remove.
Old 04-30-13, 10:26 PM
dralways

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How much do you weigh? When you say hard knocks do you mean huge potholes or just crappy roads/somewhat large cracks in the road?
Old 04-30-13, 10:58 PM
buffalowings

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I weigh about 140lbs right now. I ran over some large potholes that I should not have run over..one of which i suffered a flat but the rims are fine. To be honest, I wouldn't be confident riding them if I was a much heavier rider or could generate a lot of power in sprints because there is some side to side flex when I move the wheels.
Old 04-30-13, 11:05 PM
jeepseahawk
[IMG]https://i4.photobucke

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the superlites, they weighed in at 1490, nothing but praise. Going on a year worth of use and 4000+ miles, never trued and I weigh 225-235 depending on time of year.
Old 05-01-13, 06:34 PM
dralways

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Day crew?
Old 05-01-13, 09:54 PM
99Klein 

Bikes: 99 Klein Quantum, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10 5, Specialized Tarmac Comp, Foundry Thresher, Fuji Sportif

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They will be my next wheels (need to loose some weight) I run the hd's now. No problems with decals. Front was not true out of box, rear was perfect. Just about to 2000 miles and haven't had to touch a spoke since I put them on. Still true and tight. Heavy as hell but so an I at 242lbs. Rough roads here and some gravel and crushed rock use.

Love the wheels, and the price!
Old 05-01-13, 10:19 PM
dralways

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm pretty sure I'll be going for these wheels next paycheck. I was also thinking about Forte Titans or used Mavic Aksium take offs but I'd really like to have a brand new set that I can baby and keep in good shape for years. I would consider the super lites but don't want to go too light so that I can still clear 30+mph on flats with ease.

Considering I weighed in today and saw a loss of 6 lbs in the last month (on a diet of gourmet bacon cheeseburgers, rich desserts like chocolate chip pie w/ ice cream, loaded up thick pan pizza and football-sized burritos till I burst lmao.. I ride a lot) I wont worry about the low spoke count with these wheels as I continue to ride nonstop and shed the lbs.

Jeepseahawk, do you ride more on beat up roads or silky smooth pavement?
Old 05-02-13, 02:42 PM
dralways

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 05-02-13, 03:37 PM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dralways
I'm pretty sure I'll be going for these wheels next paycheck. I was also thinking about Forte Titans or used Mavic Aksium take offs but I'd really like to have a brand new set that I can baby and keep in good shape for years. I would consider the super lites but don't want to go too light so that I can still clear 30+mph on flats with ease.

Considering I weighed in today and saw a loss of 6 lbs in the last month (on a diet of gourmet bacon cheeseburgers, rich desserts like chocolate chip pie w/ ice cream, loaded up thick pan pizza and football-sized burritos till I burst lmao.. I ride a lot) I wont worry about the low spoke count with these wheels as I continue to ride nonstop and shed the lbs.

Ehhh...what?
Old 05-02-13, 05:36 PM
jeepseahawk
[IMG]https://i4.photobucke

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I ride anywhere, never pick a ride because of condition of road. I was worried at first because of spoke count and my weight but not after the mechanic (250+) at shop showed me a video of him riding dirt trails with his cyclocross bike.
Old 05-02-13, 05:57 PM
8086bruce

Bikes: Felt FC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They look like a heck of deal for that light of wheel.
Old 05-02-13, 07:44 PM
Surfer3287

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Allez Sprint

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by buffalowings
I use a set of Vuelta corsa lites, my odometer tells me I have about 800-900 miles on them so far, going to get them trued up soon because they have had a fair share of hard knocks so they are just slightly out of true right now. Still running very nicely, hubs spin much nicer compared to the wheelset that came with my bike. One issue is the aluminum cassette hub, it's soft so the cassette has dug into it making removal hard. Other than that, very nice wheels for $220-250. The stickers are tacky and start peeling really quickly, but they are also very easy to remove.
Agreed. Peel the color strip half of the sticker off and leave the text portion, and it'll double the cost looks-wise. I bought mine off the 'bay and they served me well for the first year and a half. I would still be riding them but I got a a great package deal on some Mavic Ksyrium Elite S's while I was having my SRM installed and started eyeing the wheel wall. FWIW, I'm 140 +/-5, and since I live in FL I only ride on smooth, pancake-flat roads.
Old 05-02-13, 07:59 PM
Beneficial Ear
Car Free

Bikes: caad8, Trek 1000

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had them for a few months... ~2000 miles on em and over the extremely pothole laden roads here in Chicago I've lost one spoke in the rear. I'm 170 on a ~25lb steel bike and routinely carry a backpack that weighs in around 18lbs... AKA, my riding weight is often over 200lbs. The one broken spoke happened when I tried jumping this cavern of a pothole and the rear wheel landed right on the sharp edge... replaced the spoke and been fine since.

The freewheel sound gets more "buzzing bee" with time and then levels out... not nearly as loud as some (most) of the folks with the $$$$ wheels I typically ride with, for whatever this matters.

The bearings are excellent, the aero spokes are tough to find @ this pricepoint, the rims are strong and "aero", and the durability is definitely there.

Excellent wheels, I debated for a while and very very happy I went with these!

btw, I took the stickers off on day 2 to keep the thieves at bay... the wheels look very generic without the stickers which in my case is a bonus. I could see, though, the stickers peeling over time as they were very easy to remove.
Old 05-02-13, 08:06 PM
dralways

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I'm about sold on these all except for the price tag, and yes I know 250ish is nothing for a nice wheel set.. I just don't have much to spend.

I read in some reviews where this set was bought for about $210 shipped, anyone know anything about this?
Old 05-02-13, 08:17 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
I run the HD's.

Fine wheels for me.

Old 05-02-13, 10:20 PM
escarpment

Bikes: cannondale crit 3.0, specialized allez, old giant mtb/hybrid

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had a set for about a month, my bike was subsequently stolen.

They are a fine set of wheels for the price, although not as light as advertised, the overall sheen. anodization looks a bit cheap. The hubs were mediocre to good, Ive ridden better, but MUCH worse.

But probably the best wheelset you can get for 200-250 new.
Old 05-02-13, 10:43 PM
buffalowings

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I'm about sold on these all except for the price tag, and yes I know 250ish is nothing for a nice wheel set.. I just don't have much to spend.

I read in some reviews where this set was bought for about $210 shipped, anyone know anything about this?
Nashbar has 20% off regularly, you can catch it for a bit less then.
Old 05-03-13, 07:50 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
I've had a pair for about a year now (~6,000 miles). No problems whatsoever (other than breaking a spoke in a race wreck that was easily repaired), I'm 175 lbs and I ride some rough roads and had a long day on gravel without having them go out of true one bit. I got them for my old bike with campy and when my fiancée gave me a Madone as a gift, I bought a shimano free hub body and swapped them on to my new ride. I've been racing on them all season, they probably aren't the stiffest wheels and definitely not über light, but in my limited experience they've been flawless especially for the price.
Old 05-03-13, 09:02 AM
lesdunham
Michigan Rider

Bikes: Pinarello, Motobecane Immortal Force, Diamondback, Fischer (German)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a set that have about 6k miles on them. No problems ever. They are on a bike on the trainer now. I also use Soul S 3.0's on my main road bike. Just a reliable but weight is a little less. Both would serve anyone under 200lbs well.
Old 05-03-13, 09:05 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
I run the HD's.

Fine wheels for me.

+100 The Vuelta Corsa HDs spin forever and are built to take a beating. An underrated wheel and a great deal. Sealed bearings even. I also used the Vuelta MTB wheels you see at Nashbar and they are also solid.
Old 05-03-13, 12:37 PM
Bathwater

Location: In my car with my Garmin, stealing all your Strava KOMs
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My poor ass has been eyeing those Corsa Lites, too. The next time a 20% coupon comes around I'm going to have a hard time not grabbing a pair.
Old 02-16-14, 08:07 PM
BikeAnon

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do the Corsa Lites have spokes that are easily replaced by LBSs?
Old 02-16-14, 08:12 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
https://www.nashbar.com/webapp/wcs/s...uctDisplayView

Or any Vuelta wheels? At under $250 shipped from some sources and under 1600g in weight with nothing but positive reviews even from 200lb riders on roadbikereview, I've got the itch considering I'm in the market though not in an emergency.

Anyone on this forum use this wheelset? Comments?
i haven't used those wheels, but sounds like a hell of a deal to me. campy or shimano and lots of red, black and white too.

i build my own wheels that are about 100gms lighter, but i can't beat that price!
Old 02-16-14, 08:39 PM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeAnon
Do the Corsa Lites have spokes that are easily replaced by LBSs?
They use a flat Pillar spoke, exact match is doubtful. But they are a J bend with a 2mm threaded end so any decent shop should at least be able to get you rolling.

Or you could pre-buy a couple of each length direct from Vuelta so you are ready just in case: https://www.vueltausa.com/vuelta-bicy...l-parts-1.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.