Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Paramount???

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Paramount???

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-13, 04:49 PM
EhGiOeS

Bikes: C 93 Colnago Early 70's Colnago Sport Mid 80's I think East German National Team Bike "77" Gios Super Record Early "90's" Contini GOIDESIGN Early 90's Contini Reynolds 501 oval tube tourer 70's J van Staeyen Flemish Club bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Paramount???

Early Paramount on English EBay? I don't know anything about Paramonts. Had one in the early "70's" didn't like it. Ed

https://www.ebay.com/itm/380733804066...84.m1438.l2649
Old 10-02-13, 05:32 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
It's not a Schwinn Paramount. Schwinn never used lugs like that and used the same head badge on all Paramounts from the first 1938 Wastyn built bike until the early 1980s.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.

Last edited by Scooper; 10-02-13 at 05:36 PM.
Old 10-02-13, 05:43 PM
Schlug
Jockey Full Of Bourbon

Bikes: Merckx Mourenx '69 with full Dura Ace, 1996 Merckx MX-Leader Campy Record 10 speed, Merckx EMX-5 ex-Etixx team bike with Campag Record 11 speed. Pinarello F4:13 with Campag Record 10 speed, New Merckx Liege 75 unbuilt, '86 Merckx Corsa Extra unbuilt.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A nice vintage handmade Paramount is a very nice ride, I find.
Old 10-02-13, 05:48 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by Scooper
It's not a Schwinn Paramount. Schwinn never used lugs like that and used the same head badge on all Paramounts from the first 1938 Wastyn built bike until the early eighties.
Correct, but still looks pretty good for the current price. The owner was liberal with the oil which is not a bad thing. Te downtube PARAMOUNT graphics do not appear original.
Old 10-02-13, 05:55 PM
EhGiOeS

Bikes: C 93 Colnago Early 70's Colnago Sport Mid 80's I think East German National Team Bike "77" Gios Super Record Early "90's" Contini GOIDESIGN Early 90's Contini Reynolds 501 oval tube tourer 70's J van Staeyen Flemish Club bike

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Schlug
A nice vintage handmade Paramount is a very nice ride, I find.
My view at the time was Schwinn built indestructible bikes for kids. The Paramount seemed to follow the same build stiff heavy and unresponsive. The story
at the time was Schwinn was using a special heavy gauge Reynolds 531. Who knows? Ed
Old 10-02-13, 07:29 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

The ebay listing says the frame number is 949, which according to Tam Phan's Paramount registry is a 1959 serial number. It's possible Schwinn was experimenting with different lugs at that time, so I can't say the lugs automatically disqualify the ebay bike, but the head tube decal instead of the iconic metal Paramount head badge is very suspicious. Schwinn offered a choice of double-butted Reynolds 531 or double-butted Accles & Pollock Kromo tubing for Paramounts in the late fifties.

I've also heard the story about Schwinn using heavier gauge 531 in the Paramounts, but the only place I've seen that in writing is in the 1979 book The Custom Bicycle by Kolin and de la Rosa where the authors quote Schwinn's Frank Brilando as saying Schwinn used Reynolds 531DB on all its Paramount frames (track, road racer, road tourist) except frames over 26" which used a straight gauge chromoly down tube and tandems, but the tube gauges were heavier than the standard-packaged Reynolds 531DB sets because of Schwinn's belief that the slightly heavier tubing provided a stiffer frame. In the late fifties/early sixties, though, I believe they were using standard 531 gauges. My 1940 23" Paramount track bike double-butted chromoly frame (27.0 seatpost) weighs 5 pounds and the fork is 1.8 pounds. The complete bike weighs 20 pounds.

my bikes

Old 10-03-13, 11:04 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
it's clearly not a Schwinn paramount, and I don't think it's even trying to fake it, nobody is going to think with those graphics that it came out of Chicago.
It is an interesting bike with what looks like nice Prugnat lugs and a nice forkcrown. (edit: or those could be Oscar Egg lugs, but in either case I think they've been customized)
Based on the crown I'd say it either uses Reynolds "Continental" style blades or it's not British at all...but the rest of the kit sure looks "Brit", enough.

Last edited by unworthy1; 10-03-13 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-03-13, 06:17 PM
EhGiOeS

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Scooper
The ebay listing says the frame number is 949, which according to Tam Phan's Paramount registry is a 1959 serial number. It's possible Schwinn was experimenting with different lugs at that time, so I can't say the lugs automatically disqualify the ebay bike, but the head tube decal instead of the iconic metal Paramount head badge is very suspicious. Schwinn offered a choice of double-butted Reynolds 531 or double-butted Accles & Pollock Kromo tubing for Paramounts in the late fifties.

I've also heard the story about Schwinn using heavier gauge 531 in the Paramounts, but the only place I've seen that in writing is in the 1979 book The Custom Bicycle by Kolin and de la Rosa where the authors quote Schwinn's Frank Brilando as saying Schwinn used Reynolds 531DB on all its Paramount frames (track, road racer, road tourist) except frames over 26" which used a straight gauge chromoly down tube and tandems, but the tube gauges were heavier than the standard-packaged Reynolds 531DB sets because of Schwinn's belief that the slightly heavier tubing provided a stiffer frame. In the late fifties/early sixties, though, I believe they were using standard 531 gauges. My 1940 23" Paramount track bike double-butted chromoly frame (27.0 seatpost) weighs 5 pounds and the fork is 1.8 pounds. The complete bike weighs 20 pounds.
With that fork rake I would have thought more "40's". Ed
Old 10-03-13, 09:56 PM
kc0yef 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
French or English for sure with those lugs however the fork rake is interesting it is clearly a well made frame and good components but NOT a paramount
Old 10-04-13, 04:40 AM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
it has incorrect headset bearings (the bike in post 2)

Is the ebay bike a Schwinn? Maybe its a Paramount just not a 'Schwinn' Paramount.

Last edited by miamijim; 10-04-13 at 04:44 AM.
Old 10-04-13, 05:02 AM
RubberLegs

Bikes: 87 Bridgestone 550 (Shocking Electric Metallic Pink)

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
It says right on the DT Sticker "A.C.S. Paramount", which would make it A.C.S. Cycles of Front St. Arnold, Nottingham, so...ENGLISH bike, NOT a Schwinn.
Old 10-04-13, 08:18 AM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Originally Posted by RubberLegs
It says right on the DT Sticker "A.C.S. Paramount", which would make it A.C.S. Cycles of Front St. Arnold, Nottingham, so...ENGLISH bike, NOT a Schwinn.
Thank you! Mystery solved!

https://www.flickr.com/groups/689006@...7610694667951/

Originally Posted by stechambers34
I have an ACS Paramount track/path not sure of age but it looks 50's with Nervex lugs it also has a deraillieur mount on rear dropout, I believe it was updated in the 80's as other items have been added at the same time.
I will try and post photo's asap.
p.s I have been informed by a very knowledgable local rider of some repute that Paramount ACS stands for Alan-Cyril-Sport-Cycles
Originally Posted by sooty555
I too worked at ACS For two years with Pongo.He was a great character and f rame builder.He learnt his trade at Carlton Cycles before coming to ACS.(Arthur and Cyril Sports)I worked in the shop building up the frames untill Pongo was called up for Nat,Service then I carried on his work down at the workshop on Priory Road,Mansfield Woodhouse.Thanks for the memories.Don.Corbett

my bikes

Old 10-04-13, 10:53 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
Did a little more searching for Alan "Pongo" Braithwaite and his brother but there's not much info...they built Aende frames in Nottingham or perhaps it was "Pongo" solo by then. Seems he was known for a really short wheelbase and close clearances (specializing it TT frames), so this ACS Paramount would not be typical of his (later) work.
Looks like a nice frame, and I'm more certain that those are Oscar Egg lugs, now.
Old 10-07-13, 04:10 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Originally Posted by miamijim
it has incorrect headset bearings (the bike in post 2)

Is the ebay bike a Schwinn? Maybe its a Paramount just not a 'Schwinn' Paramount.
Right on both counts, Jim. The bearings that came in the headset from the ebay seller that sold me the frameset are 5/32" and I assumed they were correct. The 1940 Schwinn parts catalog says they should be 1/8", though. I guess it's a good thing I haven't ridden it much. 1/8" bearings are on the way.

my bikes