Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Retro-mod road bike project - Mixing new and classic

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Retro-mod road bike project - Mixing new and classic

Old 09-22-18, 12:23 AM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Ready to ride

Old 09-22-18, 11:27 AM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Daylight photos.

Old 09-22-18, 10:58 PM
jlmonte

Bikes: Colnago Brain, Master Bi-Titanio, Vitus 979, Specialized Roubaix, Salsa Marrakesh, and a couple of Treks

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
@canyoneagle Well done, I like the white, white & the pair of Cuissi
Can you recap:
Stem and Headset, I assumed 1 inch threaded steering. I was expecting it came with the headset in the ebay listing picture, and you were going to use a quill stem.
Final gearing.
I asked because I stop riding my steel Colnago w/ 9 speed Chorus because of gearing (52/36 and 13-26 (I think)), and position (short stack height).
Is that a pump peg under the top tube?
Old 09-23-18, 05:22 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by jlmonte
@canyoneagle
It's for a frame mounted race number, like this:

Old 09-23-18, 05:35 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 258 Posts
That's a gorgeous build. Finally someone with the sense to match white bar tape with a white saddle! Great job.
Old 09-23-18, 09:08 AM
canyoneagle

@canyoneagle Well done, I like the white, white & the pair of Cuissi
Can you recap:
Stem and Headset, I assumed 1 inch threaded steering. I was expecting it came with the headset in the ebay listing picture, and you were going to use a quill stem.
Final gearing.
I asked because I stop riding my steel Colnago w/ 9 speed Chorus because of gearing (52/36 and 13-26 (I think)), and position (short stack height).
You are correct - I did change the headset - good eye!!!!!! I was originally planning to do a quill stem, but BF member joejack951 has invented a clever conversion headset - inni cycle is his brand. The top bearing cup threads on as any other would, but instead of a second lockring, this one has a 1-1/8 threadless extension with a quill that locks the top race and provides the threadless mounting. Brilliant thing.

The crank that I ordered with the build kit was a 52/36, but the one I ended up installing (I far prefer the open web style cranks on a steel frame) is a 52/39. Rear gearing is 12-27.
I'd never ridden 50/34 until I bought the used Fuji this Spring, and found that I didn't like it (with the 11-28 that was out back). I did use the low 1st gear a few times (we have some 20+% grades around here, but short), but generally found that I felt out of step with the gearing on that bike.

I was hesitant to go with a 39, but with a 180mm crank and options for a 32 out back I think I'll be OK with it.
Old 09-23-18, 11:32 AM
jlmonte

Bikes: Colnago Brain, Master Bi-Titanio, Vitus 979, Specialized Roubaix, Salsa Marrakesh, and a couple of Treks

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by canyoneagle
The top bearing cup threads on as any other would, but instead of a second lockring, this one has a 1-1/8 threadless extension with a quill that locks the top race and provides the threadless mounting. it.
Well, the plot keeps thickening, as I originally was intrigued by the Tensiometer. Thanks BTW for the Wheel Fanatyk referral, and now the INNI headset. I found the @ joejack951 ; thread, Your impressions would be appreciated. Especially, the craftsmanship, and performance.

I must add, I’m 6’2”, been using 175 cranks after many early years being stuck with 170. I held a naïveté belief that 180 was reserved for the likes of Miguel Inderain.

Going back to the wheels, I could not decipher the rims and glad to see (as nature intended) non-black spokes. And the video, truly, a must in this digital era. Music appropriate, as for production quality, let’s say the ending is not in par with your mechanical skills.

Your original theme of Retro-mod is holding true.
Old 09-23-18, 01:22 PM
canyoneagle

Well, the plot keeps thickening, as I originally was intrigued by the Tensiometer. Thanks BTW for the Wheel Fanatyk referral, and now the INNI headset. I found the @ joejack951 ; thread, Your impressions would be appreciated. Especially, the craftsmanship, and performance.

I must add, I’m 6’2”, been using 175 cranks after many early years being stuck with 170. I held a naïveté belief that 180 was reserved for the likes of Miguel Inderain.

Going back to the wheels, I could not decipher the rims and glad to see (as nature intended) non-black spokes. And the video, truly, a must in this digital era. Music appropriate, as for production quality, let’s say the ending is not in par with your mechanical skills.

Your original theme of Retro-mod is holding true.
haha, yeah. I blame the IPA.

the innicycle headset is a winner in my book. Very nicely made, and noticeably stiffer than any quill stem I’ve used

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...n-headset.html

Last edited by canyoneagle; 09-24-18 at 07:59 AM.
Old 09-23-18, 01:47 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,501 Times in 3,346 Posts
It looks very nice!!!

Hopefully those cranks work out well for you.
Old 09-23-18, 08:22 PM
PDLandis
"steel is real"

Bikes: Jamis Renegade Exploit, Specialized Rockhopper Expert, Custom USA Cannondale 1x8 Frankenbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aright - call me weird, but I have recently resumed playing the didgeridoo (ancient Australian Aboriginal Instrument) after having not played consistently, I've been really loving it.

Anyway, here's a little hipster movie or whatever they're called these days. Had a nice backbeat, and I filled in and riffed on it.
Layer that with some raw handheld stuff featuring my current build.
I'm no Magnus Walker or Singer (as in Porsche), that's for sure. Just some in the moment fun.

For me, it represents a transformative blend of old and new, hence the (stand in) era-appropriate Nucleon front wheel, with the new Record/Arhectype rear wheel mounted to represent the transformation.

Of course, this is intentionally staged to capture a snopshot in its development, and staging it with older stuff mixed in to represent the marriage.

Anyway, something like that.

In true hipster style, the next video will incule cigarrettes. I think we could market a handlebar mounted ashtray. But, I digress......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yieWHy5bfQM
Enjoyed that. Thanks. Nice work on the bike.
Old 09-24-18, 08:02 AM
canyoneagle

Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
That's a gorgeous build. Finally someone with the sense to match white bar tape with a white saddle! Great job.
Thanks!
It was hard to visualize in my head, but I found an image online that was a pretty close match, with white saddle/tape, and I went with it.
I think it turned out great.

The bike rides very well. The EL-OS tubing keeps it stiff enough, and the ride quality is fabulous - super smooth, great handling bike.
Old 09-24-18, 08:27 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 4,821 Times in 2,226 Posts
Exceptionally nice build on a great frame.

Pray tell - not up on modern Campy -
Does the Athena group have the ability to trim FD?
And multiple cogs up and down with RD shifts?
Old 09-24-18, 10:12 AM
canyoneagle

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Exceptionally nice build on a great frame.

Pray tell - not up on modern Campy -
Does the Athena group have the ability to trim FD?
And multiple cogs up and down with RD shifts?
Thanks!
I'm not sure about Athena - mine is 2018 Chorus.
IIRC Athena production ended in 2014/15, and I do not think it had Ultrashift for the rear. I'd imagine the FD is trimmable, though.
From what I understand, the easy way to see if a lever has the (Mechanical) Ultrashift functionality, the thumb button will stick out more horizontally, whereas the non-US levers are sloped downwards (only 1 cog at a time)

Athena groupsets can still be found with some searching (mainly Ebay), but mainly in the black finish. I found pricing of the Athena to be higher than original (in general) because of its diminished availability. There are still NOS parts out there, though.
Old 09-24-18, 11:15 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Thanks!
I'm not sure about Athena - mine is 2018 Chorus.
IIRC Athena production ended in 2014/15, and I do not think it had Ultrashift for the rear. I'd imagine the FD is trimmable, though.
From what I understand, the easy way to see if a lever has the (Mechanical) Ultrashift functionality, the thumb button will stick out more horizontally, whereas the non-US levers are sloped downwards (only 1 cog at a time)

Athena groupsets can still be found with some searching (mainly Ebay), but mainly in the black finish. I found pricing of the Athena to be higher than original (in general) because of its diminished availability. There are still NOS parts out there, though.
Thanks. How about new mechanical Chorus? Trimmable FD? Multiple cog RD shifts?
Old 09-24-18, 11:31 AM
canyoneagle

Yes and yes

In my brief time on the bike thus far, I am loving the Chorus. Brakes are stunningly good, shifting is crisp. I've been a Campy guy most of my life, but the last Campy I'd ridden with any regularity was 10 speed Ergo in 2000-ish.

Compared to the Ultegra (6700 with R8000 brakes) on my previous bike, this is easily another level. The Ultegra felt a bit more vague in the shifting department (I think this is just the Shimano vs Campy "feel") - shifts were fine, but lever feel was not as positive. The R8000 brakes were excellent, but the Chorus brakes are next level.
I decided on Chorus based on some research, where I found a consensus of opinion that the only thing Chorus gives up to the Record/SR groups is a little weight and some pizzaz.

I bought mine from Chain Reaction in the UK, which had the best price for the groupset at the time (I paid $1100 with free shipping).

Last edited by canyoneagle; 09-24-18 at 11:47 AM.
Old 09-24-18, 03:01 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

………. the last Campy I'd ridden with any regularity was 10 speed Ergo in 2000-ish.
I have 3 with Campy 10 from 2003/04. I should look for two more as future replacements.
Old 09-24-18, 03:05 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Chorus FD is trimmable only for the inner ring (one click). The outer ring doesn't have trimming capability and doesn't need it in my experience. I use the full cassette without any chain rub, and I'm not even using it on an approved frame (135mm rear dropout spacing disc frame). RD shifts 5 up/3 down at a time. Makes living with a compact crank easy (lots of clicking with Shimano to deal with the big jump between rings).
Old 09-25-18, 08:51 AM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 486 Posts
Meanwhile, the wheels are coming together......
I'm still waiting for my tensionometer to come back from a refurb/calibration before I can get these 100% done
No need to wait. If you have an iPhone, buy the rather inexpensive Tensioner app.
Old 09-25-18, 10:12 AM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
Great build. Thanks for taking the time to share it.
Old 10-02-18, 10:17 AM
canyoneagle

Update
Now that I've been able to get out and ride, I thought I'd share some impressions.

First of all, I am finding the 52/39 with 12-27 to be a great combination. I was a little concerned that the 39 x 27 would be a bit too much on steeper hills, since I am still getting back into shape. I have found this not to be an issue. I do have to get out of the saddle for sections steeper than about 12-15%, but I can climb seated for everything else. Even in my current state of fitness (as in getting back into shape), I can hold 39-25 or 39-27 seated pretty steadily on 8%-10% grades. Granted, the biggest climb around these parts is only a mile long (4%) and the steeper hills are only a quarter mile or so.

I never felt quite comfortable with the compact setup on my previous bike, and am happy I went with the 52/39.

As expected, the bike rides exceptionally well. Not a surprise for a pro-level frame. The EL-OS tubing provides plenty of stiffness, and there is no noticeable flex in the BB shell, even when I'm out of the saddle on those 180mm cranks. Pretty damn cool. Handling is phenomenal - stable yet agile. This bike reminds me of my beloved (but gone) Tommasini Tecno.

The Chorus group is excellent. Super crisp shifting, stunning braking.

There is something sublime about the hum of the road that resonates through nice handbuilt wheels and a steel frame that I have not experienced on non-steel framed bikes. The only way to make it better would be to put lightweight tubulars on the bike.

I have found, however, that I need another saddle. Since my riding position is a little more forward leaning than the Fuji, the rounded profile of the saddle that I have (Fabric Line Shallow) puts more pressure on my perineum due to the curved shape (and the narrow relief channel). I've ordered a Selle SMP Forma, which should arrive Friday.

All in all, I am elated with the build. Can you tell?

Last edited by canyoneagle; 10-02-18 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-06-18, 02:50 PM
canyoneagle

I've been in contact with Tiziano Zullo since this frame came on my radar (Ebay purchase from a seller in Poland). So nice to establish a connection to the man who made the frame. This is an aspect I love about this bike of mine. The frame has a soul - there is something visceral and hard to quantify with that, as I see it.
It reminds me of the central question in Pirsig's book around what is "quality", and how do we know it?
We're now friends on facebook, and are sharing images of how his work still lives. Pretty cool.
Old 10-06-18, 03:05 PM
canyoneagle

Current iteration.
Just replaced the saddle, and very happy with the decision thus far.

I ordered a set of Veloflex masters that I will be mounting to the spare set of Nucleons. This will be my choice for good rural roads without typical urban puncture risks.

Old 10-09-18, 06:59 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Now that is some retro porn there!
I use the same tensionometer. Great tool. Mine is now on its way back from Ric at WheelFanatyk after a refresh, with new springs and re-calibration.
I've been using that same tension meter for 15 years and a couple thousand wheels, Still on it's original spring, still gives reliable, repeatable readings and I can calibrate it on my home built calibration fixture.
Beautiful bike by the way.

Last edited by Dan Burkhart; 10-09-18 at 07:02 AM.
Old 10-17-18, 10:32 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Nice looking bike. Anyone can strip a fully functional bike, but putting them back together properly to suit your needs is more fun. I recently acquired a '78 Peugeot PR10 with a Stronglight TS 52/42 crank. The TS has a stripped pedal thread, and I didn't feel like messing with French threads, though I know they could be re-tapped 9/16. I had a spare Sugino GT 52/34 laying around, so I threw it on, and it works perfect with a 28-13t 6 speed freewheel. The 34 has worked for any hill so far, and with the 52-13, it pulls like a locomotive on the flats. Have fun with yours.

I haven't played with the chain length yet. It runs fine big big, small small not so much.
Old 11-01-18, 08:53 PM
canyoneagle

Originally Posted by Slightspeed
Nice looking bike. Anyone can strip a fully functional bike, but putting them back together properly to suit your needs is more fun. I recently acquired a '78 Peugeot PR10 with a Stronglight TS 52/42 crank. The TS has a stripped pedal thread, and I didn't feel like messing with French threads, though I know they could be re-tapped 9/16. I had a spare Sugino GT 52/34 laying around, so I threw it on, and it works perfect with a 28-13t 6 speed freewheel. The 34 has worked for any hill so far, and with the 52-13, it pulls like a locomotive on the flats. Have fun with yours.

I haven't played with the chain length yet. It runs fine big big, small small not so much.
Nice work!!!
There is something liberating about working on one's own bicycle. Steel frames are practical, but there is also something...... special about them. Especially the lugged frames.

I've ridden nice carbon, but for me steel is where I'm at.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.