Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Low back health and track cycling

Old 02-17-20, 07:15 PM
  #26  
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 15,809
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1312 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke View Post
Well, we'll see what happens, I guess. At the moment, I'm just doing gym work and pretty much no-load roller stuff as there's snow on the track here now. Feeling very good at the moment. I've adjusted my stretch routine as above, am doing the rehab mobility and core stability stuff as above, and have moved to sumo from conventional deadlift which is huge. I'm also squatting to a box to check depth. I am not going as deep as I used to, but I'm going gradually deeper as my hip flexibility improves.

it will be interesting to see how this changes with the bike work that will start in a month or so. My bike work is pretty minimal though- I do not do any road miles really, and all my track workouts are very focussed and low repetition. Maybe it will be ok.
Iím talking about off the bike 100%, not minimal bike work.

Riding rollers could be like ďpicking at the scabĒ keeping the wound from healing.
carleton is offline  
Old 02-17-20, 08:32 PM
  #27  
Baby Puke
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Kanazawa
Posts: 1,603

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
Iím talking about off the bike 100%, not minimal bike work.

Riding rollers could be like ďpicking at the scabĒ keeping the wound from healing.
Well Iím not really interested in doing that since basically Iím a bike rider who lifts weight to go faster.
Baby Puke is offline  
Old 02-17-20, 10:08 PM
  #28  
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 15,809
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1312 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke View Post
Well Iím not really interested in doing that since basically Iím a bike rider who lifts weight to go faster.
Yeah. I expected that answer. I just think thatís the only way to determine if itís cycling, in general, thatís contributing to or causing the pain.

In my case (n=1), cycling IS the problem. As much as I hate to say that. Iíve been riding bikes since my earliest memories. When I ride upright, Iím fine. When I bend over (even moderately), thatís when soreness starts.

It had even happened since I stopped riding/racing. After months of no cycling of any sort, Iíll hop on the spin bike for an easy 30-60 minutes for basic cardio work in the home, and BAM...sore back.
carleton is offline  
Old 02-17-20, 10:11 PM
  #29  
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 15,809
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1312 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 31 Posts
This time of year might be the best time for an experiment like this since you are only using rollers for form and maybe cardio. Maybe try swimming, jogging, walking, hiking, or some other form of cardio that's not cycling and see if the pain goes away.

I would suggest rowing, but that might be trading one problem for another when it comes to the back.
carleton is offline  
Old 02-18-20, 02:16 PM
  #30  
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 15,809
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1312 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 31 Posts
Baby Puke , I just rode my spin bike and noticed that I have my bars adjusted high as hell. Like damn near Beach Cruiser height. My back is in a very comfortable position and I'm still getting the cardio work that I'm looking for.

Maybe you can find a short/high stem and some shallow bars for your bike during this period when you are just on rollers.
carleton is offline  
Likes For carleton:
Old 02-19-20, 08:53 AM
  #31  
Baby Puke
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Kanazawa
Posts: 1,603

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
Baby Puke , I just rode my spin bike and noticed that I have my bars adjusted high as hell. Like damn near Beach Cruiser height. My back is in a very comfortable position and I'm still getting the cardio work that I'm looking for.

Maybe you can find a short/high stem and some shallow bars for your bike during this period when you are just on rollers.
Well, I've found a position that is faster, so I'm loath to give that up at the moment. I'm gonna forge ahead armed with new knowledge and some new movements and lifts and see how it works out. Thanks for your suggestions!
Baby Puke is offline  
Old 02-20-20, 02:57 AM
  #32  
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 15,809
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1312 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke View Post
Well, I've found a position that is faster, so I'm loath to give that up at the moment. I'm gonna forge ahead armed with new knowledge and some new movements and lifts and see how it works out. Thanks for your suggestions!
Why not raise the position now then lower it gradually when the season gets going? No need in suffering all year long.

When talking with Mr. Tiemeyer, he told me how many of his athletes would ride relatively high positions early in the season then gradually lower their bars as the season and their flexibility progressed.

With that in mind, I'm I'd imagine your road bike position is significantly higher than that of your track bike.
carleton is offline  
Old 02-20-20, 09:45 AM
  #33  
Baby Puke
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Kanazawa
Posts: 1,603

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
Why not raise the position now then lower it gradually when the season gets going? No need in suffering all year long.

When talking with Mr. Tiemeyer, he told me how many of his athletes would ride relatively high positions early in the season then gradually lower their bars as the season and their flexibility progressed.

With that in mind, I'm I'd imagine your road bike position is significantly higher than that of your track bike.
Hmm. At the moment I don't really see the need to do this. For just roller work, at least, I am not "suffering" from my current position. This could change when I start doing high loads on the bike, and in that case I would consider what you're suggesting here. However, if I can stay in this position year round it would seem preferable to me than adjusting and adapting multiple times a season. Again, I'll take it as it comes and adjust as necessary.

And yeah, my road bike position is a bit higher, but I don't do any training on the road bike. I use it for the very occasional coffee ride with non-racer friends (literally 2-3 times a year) and for transportation to and from work when the weather is reasonable. Anything "real" is done on the track bike either on the track or on the erg.
Baby Puke is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.