Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

8 speed chain and 8 speed chainrings on 9 speed triple cranks?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-20, 06:29 AM
jambon

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi ,

I am hoping to put some 8 speed rings on a shimano deore xt fcm760 triple crank which is a 9 speed crank I believe.

Will the chainrings be too close together ? as the spacing for 9 is narrower I believe

I plan to use an 8 speed chain.

I do have in my parts box however a 9 speed chain and 9 speed chainrings if the above will really not work .But the cassette out back is an 8 speed.

Thanks for reading ,

J
Old 03-03-20, 07:52 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by jambon
Hi ,

I am hoping to put some 8 speed rings on a shimano deore xt fcm760 triple crank which is a 9 speed crank I believe.

Will the chainrings be too close together ? as the spacing for 9 is narrower I believe

I do have in my parts box however a 9 speed chain and 9 speed chainrings if the above will really not work .But the cassette out back is an 8 speed.

Thanks for reading ,

J
I used a bike with a 10sp triple crankset with an 8 speed chain/cassette for 5 years and it worked well. It was slightly noisier, but I'm not sure if it happened because of the mismatch or because the whole drivetrain was built from the cheapest parts available.
Old 03-03-20, 10:35 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4207 Post(s)
Liked 3,872 Times in 2,314 Posts
There's usually a fair amount of overlap between 8 and 9 speed rings and chains. perhaps the more important match is with the ft der and lever (then the rear end). If you were staying completely within the Shimano family I suspect the small tolerances and dimensional differences will work out better then if subbing other brand rings. My first choice would be to use the 9 speed rings assuming the ft der and lever are 9 speed family. If they are 8 speed then the 8 speed rings might be a better choice. Either way some ring spacing dimension changes can be had with adding shims behind a ring or two. This is where a relationship with a service focused shop can be a real aid as this can be a bit of trial and discovery and redo type of project (where spacers might go and how many/thick). Andy
Old 03-03-20, 04:10 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
There's usually a fair amount of overlap between 8 and 9 speed rings and chains. perhaps the more important match is with the ft der and lever (then the rear end). If you were staying completely within the Shimano family I suspect the small tolerances and dimensional differences will work out better then if subbing other brand rings. My first choice would be to use the 9 speed rings assuming the ft der and lever are 9 speed family. If they are 8 speed then the 8 speed rings might be a better choice. Either way some ring spacing dimension changes can be had with adding shims behind a ring or two. This is where a relationship with a service focused shop can be a real aid as this can be a bit of trial and discovery and redo type of project (where spacers might go and how many/thick). Andy
Mr Ham, I have twice changed out inner rings to smaller ones on two diff bikes that happened to have the same FSA triple 9 spd crank. In both cases, the shape of the stock FSA 30t was such that when I put the 26t flat rings on, I had to shim them out a bit or else some rubbing was happening. My local lbs at the time only had some very very thin shims, so I first tried some thin , but thicker, washers I had in a washer kit I had. They worked out perfectly, even almost perfectly matching the circle diameter, and shimming them out just right.
Not a 8 spd to 9 spd story, but more of an shim example using regular old thin washers from a kit with multiple diff washer sizes and thicknesses, most likely bought at any hardware store that we had in the house.
Old 03-03-20, 04:16 PM
djb

hey Andy, did you ever find that book about the crazy Brits and that Africa trip?
Old 03-03-20, 04:50 PM
jambon

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So the 9 speed crank will put the chainrings closer together so that the 8 speed chain will end up rubbing on the rings on more extreme chainlines

ill need to shim or use a 9 speed chain ?
Old 03-03-20, 05:07 PM
djb

in my case, everything was 9 spd, but the shape of the diff smaller inner chainrings had a slightly diff shape to them, so they were physically closer to the crank, so yes at certain positions of the chain on the cassette, there was rubbing going on.
Basically I could see that I needed to shim the chainring out a bit, and who knows if you will have this, the only way is to try.
I just wanted to say that shimming may work, although I realize that my example only involved the inner ring.

perhaps the more experienced mechanics here will know right away about your specific question of "So the 9 speed crank will put the chainrings closer together so that the 8 speed chain will end up rubbing on the rings on more extreme chainlines"

and you do realize if you go the 9spd route, chain cassette, you'll have to change your shifters to 9 spd.
good luck
Old 03-03-20, 08:09 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4207 Post(s)
Liked 3,872 Times in 2,314 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
hey Andy, did you ever find that book about the crazy Brits and that Africa trip?
Yes. "Three men on a Bike" https://www.amazon.com/Three-Men-Bik.../dp/086241542X Andy
Old 03-03-20, 08:17 PM
djb

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Great, enjoy
Old 03-04-20, 04:30 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by jambon
Hi ,

Thanks for reading ,
You might need to shim out the big and small rings to limit chain rub with an 8 speed chain. My FSA "9 and 10 speed compatible" crank had unacceptable rub in the last few cogs until I did that leaving no overlapping gears between big and small rings.

Wheels Manufacturing, LeTour, and Origin 8 all make 0.5mm spacers for speed conversions.