Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

How are my numbers for someone that's about to have their first race?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-20, 06:05 PM
kevinabbot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Hey hey so I am going to start racing later this March. I am 18 (Will be 19 in early may so no point in racing juniors). I am on the Penn State cycling team, but because of Coronavirus we may have our race canceled am may have to look for a local race. I heard in the DMV (Near Washington DC) races are pretty fast. I am not a sprinter but more of a climber so I am looking for road races over crits, but as a cat 5 rider I am scare I may get dropped.

So my 20min test is 301 watts and my 30 second test is 617 watts. I am a smaller rider (I weigh 55kg (124lbs). How are these numbers and based on these should I be in good shape to race and like not get dropped off the back immediately.
Old 03-11-20, 11:04 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
Don't know anything about comparing watts since mine are only recorded on the trainer and not in the rear world.
But if you know your typical speed over similar terrain then compare it to previous years results which can often be found online. Bikereg has links to some of the past results and some clubs and organizers post them online. Also don't forget the race effort usually means a little more speed then typical; the group will push you if you can keep up to begin with and you'll push yourself hard either way.
Old 03-12-20, 03:31 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
My first crits were in the Washington DC area in the 1970s. It's mostly flat. Sounds like you have enough power. The main challenge to Cat 5 is avoiding collisions with riders who have sketchy bike handling skills. Once you get past that there's usually a huge improvement in the quality of other riders in Cat 4 and above.

It's actually easier to draft more experienced but faster riders because they aren't spastic. It's harder drafting slower rookies when you have no idea what they'll do. The whole key to doing well in crits is drafting, conserving energy, making alliances with folks who'll return favors, and saving energy for the final rush. The hard part is the ebb and flow, the accordion effect of attacks, closing gaps, and choosing which attacks to follow and which to let go.

Watch some YouTube videos by NorCal Cycling, Legion, SprinterDellaCasa, Lanterne Rouge and others. Lots of great insights into crit and road racing.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 03-12-20, 05:19 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by kevin****t
Hey hey so I am going to start racing later this March. I am 18 (Will be 19 in early may so no point in racing juniors). I am on the Penn State cycling team, but because of Coronavirus we may have our race canceled am may have to look for a local race. I heard in the DMV (Near Washington DC) races are pretty fast. I am not a sprinter but more of a climber so I am looking for road races over crits, but as a cat 5 rider I am scare I may get dropped.

So my 20min test is 301 watts and my 30 second test is 617 watts. I am a smaller rider (I weigh 55kg (124lbs). How are these numbers and based on these should I be in good shape to race and like not get dropped off the back immediately.
Sheesh man, you've been fretting about numbers on BikeForums for a year and a half now. The most important number for you at this point, is the one you pin to your jersey. Post that one next.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 03-12-20, 06:20 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
If you get dropped, it won't be because of watts.

Go race.
Old 03-13-20, 12:15 AM
colombo357

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
You have the numbers. Clearly your training has paid off.

Now it's time to learn how to race, which you'll only get by racing.
Likes For colombo357:
Old 03-13-20, 11:36 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Your numbers are good. Watts per kilogram very good.

I've only done a little bit of racing, and for fun not to seriously compete. After a few races I thought I was pretty good. I'm a natural sprinter. This guy dropped me one day by riding smarter, and that taught me a lesson.
Old 03-13-20, 11:44 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
I don't race, never have, don't know whether your numbers are good or not. Even if your numbers are better than every other rider, it wouldn't put you on the podium if you don't know strategy.
Old 03-14-20, 10:59 AM
colombo357

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I don't race, never have, don't know whether your numbers are good or not. Even if your numbers are better than every other rider, it wouldn't put you on the podium if you don't know strategy.
Yes, and that strategy should be so ingrained that it's practically like muscle memory.

Hanging onto a guy's wheel within 6-12" in a fast 22-24mph club ride is just not the same as doing the same thing at 26-28mph in a race full of accelerations and braking. That's why a lot of areas have practice crits, because you only get race experience by racing, and nobody's really racing until someone blows a whistle and draws a finish line.
Old 03-15-20, 06:54 PM
kevinabbot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Sheesh man, you've been fretting about numbers on BikeForums for a year and a half now. The most important number for you at this point, is the one you pin to your jersey. Post that one next.
There’s one more roadblock for me and racing.. There’s a pandemic that has cancelled every race