Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

frequent sidewalk biking effect on bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-17, 11:04 PM
MikeinFL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Anyone ride on sidewalks a lot? Does it deteriorate a bike a lot faster because of constant small bumps? Or it's nothing to worry about?

When I'm riding around my neighborhood areas, which is almost daily, there are no bike paths on the street and I have no choice but to ride on sidewalks, about 80% of the time. I ride for leisure and store trips on my new cheap bikesdirect hybrid, only a month old. it's riding great now. However sidewalks are a lot bumpier then the street, although mostly small bumps, and it rides fine on the sidewalk.

But I'm wondering if the constant bumps is something very bad, not too bad, or nothing to worry about? Just make sure screws stay tight? Or am I wearing this bike down much faster?
Old 01-05-17, 11:10 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Your bike will last a long, long time. Yes, always keep on eye on what needs tightening, what needs cleaning, and what needs lubrication. Then ride the thing.

Unless you are topping a couple hundred mph on those sidewalks, your bike will not mind the bumps at all.

If the ride is Extremely rough, you can look at slightly lowering the tire pressure.

The big issue with sidewalks are cars pulling out, and pedestrians. Bumps ... enjoy them or ignore them.

Watch a downhill mountain bike race sometime. Those guys go 40 mph down slopes that would you literally could not walk down unassisted, banging through piles of rocks and roots that seem unrideable.

I'd check the tire pressure. if it recommends, say, 90 psi, try riding at 75.
Old 01-06-17, 07:59 AM
digibud

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If the bumps/cracks are enough to feel a jarring bump and they happen frequently then the most common place they may affect would be the headset bearings. If you gently rotate your headset and can feel spots where it seems to bump bump bump it may be the bearing as they dent the cups. Since those bearings mostly just sit there they tend to wear a "spot" and that may need repair but it may take thousands of miles. As for keeping scews tight, that's always important and if you have racks or fenders, put a dab of blue loctite on the screws after cleaning them.
Old 01-06-17, 08:01 AM
MikeinFL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Your bike will last a long, long time. Yes, always keep on eye on what needs tightening, what needs cleaning, and what needs lubrication. Then ride the thing.

Unless you are topping a couple hundred mph on those sidewalks, your bike will not mind the bumps at all.

If the ride is Extremely rough, you can look at slightly lowering the tire pressure.

The big issue with sidewalks are cars pulling out, and pedestrians. Bumps ... enjoy them or ignore them.

Watch a downhill mountain bike race sometime. Those guys go 40 mph down slopes that would you literally could not walk down unassisted, banging through piles of rocks and roots that seem unrideable.

I'd check the tire pressure. if it recommends, say, 90 psi, try riding at 75.
thanks, I know mountain bikes can handle sidewalks easy, wasn't sure how a cheap china frame hybrid bike will.
Old 01-06-17, 08:06 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeinFL
thanks, I know mountain bikes can handle sidewalks easy, wasn't sure how a cheap china frame hybrid bike will.

Not sure if troll or not, but I will throw a hunk of flesh....

These "cheap China" frames you are talking about supply a larger portion of the industry than don't. Most manufacturers purchase from the exact same places in China/Taiwan and by many are considered the modern leaders in Al frame production, as well as CF for price/performance. My Spec Roubaix SL4 had a "Made in Taiwan" sticker on it. I don't think anyone can dispute what a good bike it's been in performance and popularity.
Old 01-06-17, 08:08 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts
Your bike will last a long time on bumps and frankly most bikes are made in China now. My sister has a bikes direct bike and its been great. You could do much worse.
Old 01-06-17, 08:27 AM
MikeinFL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by punkncat
Not sure if troll or not, but I will throw a hunk of flesh....

These "cheap China" frames you are talking about supply a larger portion of the industry than don't. Most manufacturers purchase from the exact same places in China/Taiwan and by many are considered the modern leaders in Al frame production, as well as CF for price/performance. My Spec Roubaix SL4 had a "Made in Taiwan" sticker on it. I don't think anyone can dispute what a good bike it's been in performance and popularity.
I meant "cheap" as in low cost. The frame on my bike looks very solid and dependable. How was it I was able to purchase a very decent new hybrid with very decent components for under $310? Do I have something sub standard on my bike?:

Frame
HandCrafted 6061 Aluminum with replaceable derailleur hanger and H2O bosses

Fork
SunTour SF11-M3010AL, ALLOY SILVER CROWN,ALLOY BRACE SUSPENSION FORK, Aluminum Alloy CROWN

Stem/Headset
Kalloy Aluminum ADJUSTABLE ANGLE QUILL:180mm long, EXT:16"ML*90mm, 18"ML/ 20"M/ 22"M*110mm, / Ball Bearing STEEL,Chrome Polished, ID25.4

Derailleurs
FRONT, SHIMANO FD-TZ31 31.8MM DOWN PULL/ REAR, SHIMANO ACERA RDM360SGSL SILVER

Shifters/ Cassette
SHIMANO ST-EF51 SILVER 21-SP. / SHIMANO MF-TZ31 14-34T-7 INDEX

Brakes/ Levers
C.STAR ALLOY SILVER V-BRAKE LINEAR PULL / Shimano

Hubs
ALLOY QR, 21-Speed

Rims
700c wheels KENDA 700x38C BLACK A/V K-184

Crank/Bottom Bracket
SR SUNTOUR 28/38/48T,SILVER CRANK, W/BLACK C.G,W/CAPLESS BOLT, ALL SIZES-170L / SEALED BALL BEARING

Saddle/Grips
Special Spring-Web with Comfort Channel / Comfort Kraton

Seatpost/ Handlebar
HL SP-91 350MM ALLOY SILVER Comfort-SUSPENSION / Medium Rise 640x80x6D, 25.4mm

Pedals/Chain
9/16" BORON AXLE, KRATON Inserts / KMC Z-72 1/2"*3/32"

Tires
700c wheels KENDA 700x38C BLACK A/V K-184
Old 01-06-17, 08:34 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Or you could simply ride in the street.
Old 01-06-17, 09:56 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
The thing to watch for in that bike is the rear wheel. 7-speed freewheels have a longer part of the axle protruding outside the wheel bearing, making them more prone to axles bending/breaking than a cassette hub with the same speeds.
Old 01-06-17, 10:22 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Any time you ride on bumpy terrain it will shake things loose faster than riding on smooth pavement. Just keep checking once in a while to make sure everything is tightened the way it should be.

Rode a lot of gravel on Sunday and at a stop I noticed that one of my taillights was about to fall off. Just needed a couple of screws tightened so the mount would hold it again. I'm not saying all the vibration from the gravel roads shook it loose that day, but I'm sure it helped.
Old 01-06-17, 10:40 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
When I taught the safety section of Cycling Merit Badge to Scouts I would always tell kids that if they are going to ride on sidewalks they should consider themselves invisible and ride accordingly. We have enough problems with distracted drivers who barely see you on the road. You are traveling faster than a pedestrian and drivers may not see you approaching a driveway or street as you ride the sidewalk. It may not just be the bike that gets destroyed over time. I consider myself a pretty careful driver and do watch for cyclists but I nearly hit an adult on a bike who crossed in front of me. I was checking in both directions but he came upon me so fast that I didn't see him until I started out because the last check was to the left.
Old 01-06-17, 11:52 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
When I taught the safety section of Cycling Merit Badge to Scouts I would always tell kids that if they are going to ride on sidewalks they should consider themselves invisible and ride accordingly.
Moreover, at intersections car drivers are looking for pedestrians, who travel at pedestrian speeds. If you're traveling at even 10 mph, that's 3x walking speed so you can suddenly appear in front of them from way beyond the distance they've scanned for possible conflicts. There's also the complication that, while pedestrians may have the right-of-way in a crosswalk, cyclists are not pedestrians. Your state may give you special rights; but for most of us, bikes are treated as vehicles and are expected to be in the road. Bottom line is, if you're not extra-careful, you could be put in the hospital, your bike totaled, and get a ticket and be liable for damages because it was your fault.
Old 01-06-17, 12:05 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Some one pulling out of their driveway and hitting you, on your Bike , on the sidewalks,
Moving faster than walking speed, is where the damage can happen.

There is a Stretch of 4 lane Highway 1/2 block down hill from my house ,
I ride a few blocks on the sidewalk along side that Highway (against the traffic flow) ,
as It is Flat and I dont have to cross 4 lanes of traffic when I get to my street.
the next street , goes up hill ..

riding slowly and giving way to pedestrians is expected.

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-06-17 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-06-17, 01:19 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Or you could simply ride in the street.
Bingo!
Old 01-06-17, 01:38 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Regularly riding on the sidewalk subjects your bike to a much greater likelihood of a catastrophic event: Destruction by a collision with a car pulling into or out of a driveway.
Old 01-06-17, 01:43 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Anyone ride on sidewalks a lot? Does it deteriorate a bike a lot faster because of constant small bumps? Or it's nothing to worry about?
It won't harm your bike, but now you have to worry about all the people on the sidewalk. You're not allowed to run into them, but they're allowed to be oblivious, to step right in front of you (and it's your fault if you hit them or crash as a result), etc. And there's something much more dangerous you have to worry about: every driveway that crosses the sidewalk. Suddenly those are uncontrolled intersections when you ride on the sidewalk. Drivers aren't looking for you there.
Old 01-06-17, 03:29 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Most of our paved foot/bike trails are just sidewalks. Built the same way. Same seams every few feet. Same ridiculously narrow configuration. Same competition with other users for the same narrow space.

Regarding the jarring, no big deal. Still not as bad as chip seal roads.
Old 01-06-17, 03:36 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1294 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 487 Posts
You have a suspension fork and a suspension seatpost, so you have nothing to worry about. Just remember to always ride extremely slowly on sidewalks (1-2mph) and never when there are pedestrians present.
Your bike sounds like it is decent. If you can not afford a "professional" mechanic right now, take an allen wrench if you can find the right size and go around wherever you see an allen bolt and see if it is tight. They should stay a long time if tight.
Old 01-06-17, 04:26 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts

When I'm riding around my neighborhood areas, which is almost daily, there are no bike paths on the street and I have no choice but to ride on sidewalks, about 80% of the time. I ride for leisure and store trips on my new cheap bikesdirect hybrid, only a month old. it's riding great now. However sidewalks are a lot bumpier then the street, although mostly small bumps, and it rides fine on the sidewalk.

But I'm wondering if the constant bumps is something very bad, not too bad, or nothing to worry about? Just make sure screws stay tight? Or am I wearing this bike down much faster?
No, I try to stay away from sidewalks. Not because of my bike but because it is extremely dangerous, and in some towns and cities, illegal. Street, bike lane, or MUP for me.
Old 01-06-17, 09:13 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
It bends wheels and frames when you get hit by cars at driveways and intersections where their drivers aren't looking for some one moving faster than walking speed, especially when you're going opposite their direction of travel.

When I'm riding around my neighborhood areas, which is almost daily, there are no bike paths on the street and I have no choice but to ride on sidewalks, about 80% of the time.
If there are any driveways or intersections on the sidewalk it's safer to use the road even if it doesn't have shoulders which is rarely the case - there's only one road like that near me with no room for shoulders because they ran light rail tracks between two car lanes in each direction.
Old 01-06-17, 09:27 PM
MikeinFL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
here's a typical road near me with no bike lane:

This is one of the busiest roads in the area, this google pic is a rare slow time.

I understand and mostly agree what others say about sidewalk risks from cars not expecting bikes on the sidewalk, but on this road, and others like it, I feel a lot more in danger on the road. In fact, I've never seen a biker on this road, not once. Only on the sidewalk.

Last edited by MikeinFL; 01-06-17 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-06-17, 10:15 PM
GravelMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I find that my bike gets very depressed after prolonged sidewalk riding.
Old 01-06-17, 11:58 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
I have been thinking about this and watching the sidewalk riders I see. I have come to the conclusion that some folks feel safer and actually might be safer on the sidewalks. It takes significant confidence and experience to be safe in traffic, and until a rider feels s/he is ready, the stress might actually make everybody less safe.

Ride where you feel safest. You can get hammered by an idiot in your living room ... no place is Truly safe. Ride where you feel most comfortable, and be aware of the specific dangers each scenario presents.
Old 01-07-17, 01:17 AM
Ty0604
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have severe hatred for anyone over the age of 16 who rides on a sidewalk

Last edited by Ty0604; 01-07-17 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-07-17, 06:42 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts

You are not hurting your bike in any way riding over the bumpy pavement. Regular pre or post ride checks will keep your bike in ride-able condition, I prefer post ride as it will be ready next time I am.

Ride where ever you are most comfortable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.