Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

2019 racing stories!

Old 01-02-19, 07:23 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
2019 racing stories!

Someone has to start the thread..

8.8 mile time trial yesterday on the towpath along the river. This was the warmest one yet at 37 degrees and no snow on the ground. Years past has been fresh snow and temps 0-20 degrees..

It hurt about as much as I expected considering I havent really been riding much lately. Strava gives me a time of 34:46, didnt bother to check my official time but I do know that I wasnt last place.

Definitely need to get back in a training groove..
Old 01-06-19, 07:42 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Jan 2019 Piru 20K ITT, W 3/4, 3rd of 6

Nice turnout today for the women at the Piru 20K ITT. In this pic you can see some serious racing chops: a current hour record holder, an ironwoman, state crit champ and at least 3 state TT champs. Sweet, so awesome to race with these women.

We had slow conditions today- light winds but it was cold (in the 40s) and had rained over night, we had wet pavement and some debris washed on the road. Nothing terrible. I had a strong day. Power dropout for the first 30 sec so I don't know my exact power but it was a little over target and I felt on top of my game. Paced it well, kept it pretty smooth with a VI of 1.0. Only real glitch was sitting up twice when I probably didn't have to- high speed downhill curves on wet pavement and I sat up to cover my brakes. Never braked though so I might as well have stayed in the aerobars. I was out of 2nd place by 21 seconds and being too conservative in those two curves was at least 21 seconds. Better than crashing I guess.

Somehow I wound up 4 min faster than the hour record holder. Maybe its the age difference (she's 15 years older than me) or maybe its just that she's not raced road TTs and she will very quickly figure that out and crush me next month.

Thanks to @Cleave for our held starts today.

Next up, in two weeks: Fiesta Island 20K TT.
Old 01-07-19, 12:46 PM
Cleave
Old & Getting Older Racer

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric, 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
And I didn't drop a single racer.
Visit my blog at https://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: https://www.lightningvelo.org/
Learn about our Green Dream Home at https://www.lawville.org/
Old 01-07-19, 01:11 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 2,438 Times in 1,425 Posts
@heathpack. Great way to start the season.
Old 01-20-19, 06:05 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Jan 2019 Fiesta Island 20K ITT, Women's Open, 1st of 3, muddy conditions

Fiesta Island TT this morning. We had four days of rain this week but its been dry for 2 days, so I was surprised to see a wet/sandy/muddy road surface on the island today. Cool (50F) with light winds, maybe 4-5 mph from the ESE. I.e. slow conditions.

I was the last of 3 starts. Passed my 30 second woman halfway through the first lap, passed my 60 sec woman on the finishing stretch.

Rode it reasonably well. This is 3 laps of a completely flat circuit. When you look at it lap by lap, my splits were pretty even which is ok for this course and day (temp only warmed by 2 degrees during the race). But the front side of each lap was a tailwind segment, and the back side was a head wind. My intent was to ride the headwind sections of each lap at slightly higher power than the tailwind sections and I executed that well: lap 1 and 2 headwind power 1.5% greater than tailwind power, lap 3 headwind power was 3% greater than tailwind power. Seems about right, it wasn't much wind. We'll see what @Racer Ex thinks of it, maybe I should have shot for a bigger delta between head and tailwind sections of the course.

Otherwise raced conservatively. I knew the competition today and suspected the other women I was racing against would be more conservative than me. Same power as my Oct race on this course, 40 sec slower. I'm in better shape now, and my HR was around 4 bpm below what I can peg in a 20K TT. So definitely a sub-ferocious effort but it got the job done. Happy with it.

Last edited by Heathpack; 01-20-19 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-21-19, 06:00 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2503 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,569 Posts
nice ride @Heathpack
Old 01-23-19, 11:44 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 2,438 Times in 1,425 Posts
@Heathpack Great result on a not so great course.

I thought the conditions would be suspect due to the rain and four wheel drive vehicles driving off the road in the mud and then back on the road. Yesterday, the road is still in poor shape. although dry, with sections of the road near the finish area covered in caked dry dirt. Much of the road is narrow due to dirt and sand on the edge with deep ruts on the side due to vehicle tires. It will be interesting to see how long it takes to get ride of the caked dirt on the road. I did want to go very fast in the aerobars on caked dirt.
Old 01-23-19, 12:57 PM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 33 Posts
Last night I raced the Midweek Criterium Race (B). I had only ridden my bike for about 30 minutes in the past 7 days, so I was definitely low on my TSS. A race would be an interesting way to get back on the bike. It was a 14 lap crit, 26 miles. 46 starters. My goal was to just stay in the group and go for the final sprint. Hopefully there would be no breakaways. The course had a couple of very short 4% climbs, and I would typically fall back a little bit on those. But catch back on with the downhill. First 12 minutes or so was averaging 300 watts. No breakaways got away. On the final lap, I concentrated on not falling back on the short climbs. Put out more power. By now, we only had about 20 riders in the lead group. I planned to punch it about what was 30 seconds from the finish line at our average lap speed. However one person took an early flyer. I was late to respond. But I chased. But I was not in his slipstream at all. No man's land. Well before my planned sprint point. But I kept going. Soon he ran out of gas and I passed him. Continued as hard as I could, held off the pack. Finished first. Zwift races are fun. And a good workout.
Old 01-23-19, 06:28 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

@TMonk. thanks. I really can't mention this enough: SDBC does a great job with these Fiesta Island TTs. The race director is awesome, as is the announcer and all the volunteers. For me, this race is a 3am wake up call and 5 hours of driving RT. I come because it is so well done. You have such a great club.
@Hermes, yeah the road was trashed. Imagine that road surface wet, and having to pass people and take whatever line you needed to in order to pass and finishing on the slick mud surface. It was so much fun. I'm surprised my time was ok, actually. Only broke aero three times, to deal with a combo of road surface and traffic.
@Radish_legs, congrats on your win.
Old 01-25-19, 02:16 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Radish_legs
Last night I raced the Midweek Criterium Race (B). I had only ridden my bike for about 30 minutes in the past 7 days, so I was definitely low on my TSS. A race would be an interesting way to get back on the bike. It was a 14 lap crit, 26 miles. 46 starters. My goal was to just stay in the group and go for the final sprint. Hopefully there would be no breakaways. The course had a couple of very short 4% climbs, and I would typically fall back a little bit on those. But catch back on with the downhill. First 12 minutes or so was averaging 300 watts. No breakaways got away. On the final lap, I concentrated on not falling back on the short climbs. Put out more power. By now, we only had about 20 riders in the lead group. I planned to punch it about what was 30 seconds from the finish line at our average lap speed. However one person took an early flyer. I was late to respond. But I chased. But I was not in his slipstream at all. No man's land. Well before my planned sprint point. But I kept going. Soon he ran out of gas and I passed him. Continued as hard as I could, held off the pack. Finished first. Zwift races are fun. And a good workout.
Congrats!

Was this in real racing or Zwift?

my race videos
Old 01-25-19, 02:46 PM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
Congrats!

Was this in real racing or Zwift?
This was zwift. So the report while true was somewhat tongue in cheek. But then when I think about it, I wonder, which is more prestigious. Winning an international e-crit at the B level against 44+ racers, or winning my local weekday "real" B crit with 30 racers?
Old 01-25-19, 05:36 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2503 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,569 Posts
real
Old 01-25-19, 09:59 PM
mattm
**** that

Originally Posted by Radish_legs
This was zwift. So the report while true was somewhat tongue in cheek. But then when I think about it, I wonder, which is more prestigious. Winning an international e-crit at the B level against 44+ racers, or winning my local weekday "real" B crit with 30 racers?
Win both, then you get to decide.

my race videos

Last edited by mattm; 01-26-19 at 11:09 PM.
Old 01-26-19, 06:39 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
real
+1

Bike racing vs a computer game... Ahhhhh.

While fitness is fitness, winning a bike race generally requires a significant amount of skill/tactics along with fitness. And the fitness needed to race on Zwift is quite dissimilar to an actual race, in my experience.

Last edited by rubiksoval; 01-26-19 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-28-19, 09:41 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
IMO, when you win anything its a big deal, they don't come around very often and its important to take it in.

Because of the digital nature and honor system of Zwift there are anomalies but beating 30 people at anything a huge accomplishment.
Old 01-28-19, 12:33 PM
mattm
**** that

Raced IRL on Saturday with @Ygduf, the Cal Aggie pro/1/2/3 crit in Sacramento.

Always a fun race because it's the first one of the Norcal season, everyone seems to come out because they forgot how hard real racing is and haven't been jaded by losing yet.

60 riders in the field, 5 teammates. Our plan was to be in all the breaks, and go for the sprint if it came down to that. We executed well, got in all the breaks, but none of them stuck.

With ~20 mins to go in the 70 minute race it was clear that a field sprint was gonna happen, so we settled in to get ready for it. The "leadout" was just me, since everyone else was too tired from getting in said breaks.

After some bumping & corner-diving (that will be documented on YouTube soon) I was able to get in a good spot, jump and lead our sprinter through the last turn with ~300m to go. The winner jumped early and came flying by us, our sprinter chased and almost caught him at the line but not quite, lost by 1/2 a wheel. We just need one more leadout guy..

But overall it was a great start to the season!

my race videos
Old 01-28-19, 12:50 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
I think you need to be the sprinter!
Old 01-28-19, 12:51 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Matt, I thought you were the sprinter?

But great job, regardless.
Old 01-28-19, 02:36 PM
mattm
**** that

Originally Posted by furiousferret
I think you need to be the sprinter!
It's been known to happen - but he's a more pure sprinter, and has a chance in a drag race against the local hotshots - I don't. I have to jump some else's leadout early to surprise those pure sprinters, but our team plan was to lead out our guy so that's what I did. Fwiw I came up with this plan.

He gave me a leadout last year (after I lapped the field in a break and he didn't) and I got 2nd.. which was mostly my fault for working too hard in the break.

my race videos
Old 01-28-19, 05:07 PM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Nice job Matt!

Tangent: Can we all assume a race is IRL unless stated otherwise.
Old 01-28-19, 06:02 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by cmh
Nice job Matt!

Tangent: Can we all assume a race is IRL unless stated otherwise.
Maybe non-real races should be in their own thread?
Old 01-29-19, 05:27 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Same course as Matt. Raced the 35+123 and P123.

Did part of the local race ride before the race to warmup.

35+ went well. We had good team numbers and got the right guys in the break with the rest of us covering failed bridges. Team took 1st and 3rd.

P123 went as expected, fitness is marginal right now. Have enough fitness to sit in or use a match, but not enough to really ‘race’ a second race. So, I sat near the back and accrued fitness.
Old 02-01-19, 02:35 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Maybe non-real races should be in their own thread?
or forum.
Old 02-01-19, 02:36 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hack

P123 went as expected, fitness is marginal right now. Have enough fitness to sit in or use a match, but not enough to really ‘race’ a second race. So, I sat near the back and accrued fitness.
at least you weren't publicly shamed on youtube for sucking at those corners!
Old 02-01-19, 03:53 PM
mattm
**** that

Originally Posted by Ygduf
or forum.
this

my race videos

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.