Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Advice on Replacing Sun Tour Accushift AP II, 12-30, 7 speed cassette

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-20, 03:01 PM
MrHubyUK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have a 1992 Trek 750 Multi-Track that I would love to keep going, but teeth on the smallest gear have worn off to result in a slipping chain. I'm interested in sticking with all other shifters and ders and continue with 7 speeds in the back wheel.

Any advice on replacement (or repair)?
Old 04-07-20, 03:29 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6190 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
Is this the freewheel that actually had splined sprockets that could be easily replaced? Don't know myself, but might be some interesting history if anyone here knows about it and responds.

Still, I think it's a freewheel that probably can be replaced with any freewheel with 7 speeds and the tooth counts you want. But if it's functioning still and is the type freewheel that the cogs can easily be replaced, then you might want to wait till you can get to an LBS that has been around forever. They might still have some cogs for it laying in a bin.
Old 04-07-20, 04:02 PM
MrHubyUK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I understand that this is a "Freehub"...I have pictures that I can post once I get to 10 (newbie). Since I have two of these bikes, there is a chance I can use one to save the other. The cassette in better condition but started to come loose (and then ball bearings came out when I removed it - i still have them ;-)

In the meantime, I can't find a new 12-30T 7 speed freewheel for replacement. Must be rare. Do I need to worry about Hub and wheel compatibility?
Old 04-07-20, 04:37 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
You can still find Suntour cassettes on eBay, but many are very expensive. You can start by searching eBay for "Suntour cassette 12" to find cassettes for sale with 12-tooth cogs. Unfortunately, the Suntour cassette system is not compatible with Shimano, SRAM, Campy, or Sunrace (which is based on Shimano specs) cassettes, so you cannot use any of those to rebuild a Suntour.

You said the "smallest gear," which I assume means the smallest cog, the 12. If so, then you would need to replace that cog it to keep it going, since it is threaded, and it cannot be reversed. If you mean the lowest, or the 30-tooth, then I have read that you can reverse the cog to keep using it. When you have 10 posts on the forums, you can post pictures, which would be helpful.

I looked at a vintage Trek catalog online, and the 1992 750 definitely has the Suntour APII cassette, not a freewheel.

Looking forward, if you eventually build a wheel with a different hub, I have read that a Shimano 7-speed cassette should work with Suntour 7-speed shifters, but I cannot vouch for that myself, as I've never done it.

Last edited by noobinsf; 04-07-20 at 04:41 PM.
Old 04-07-20, 04:46 PM
MrHubyUK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by noobinsf
You said the "smallest gear," which I assume means the smallest cog, the 12. If so, then you would need to replace that cog it to keep it going, since it is threaded, and it cannot be reversed. If you mean the lowest, or the 30-tooth, then I have read that you can reverse the cog to keep using it. When you have 10 posts on the forums, you can post pictures, which would be helpful.
It's indeed the smallest cog (newbie speak)...so that means I can probably remove it. For which I think I'd need a chain wrench?

Since I have two bikes, I might be able to rebuild....

(waiting for post 10)
Old 04-07-20, 04:48 PM
MrHubyUK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by noobinsf
I looked at a vintage Trek catalog online, and the 1992 750 definitely has the Suntour APII cassette, not a freewheel.
I've read that it might be referred to as a "Freehub"...But no YouTube videos I can find with this experience.
Old 04-07-20, 04:55 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Originally Posted by MrHubyUK
I've read that it might be referred to as a "Freehub"...But no YouTube videos I can find with this experience.
Yes, the freehub is the splined section of the hub where the cassette cogs are mounted.

I recently did a deep clean on a Suntour cassette, so I have been reading about them lately, too.

https://www.bikeforums.net/21358216-post23.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/21358223-post24.html
Old 04-07-20, 04:58 PM
noobinsf 

It's indeed the smallest cog (newbie speak)...so that means I can probably remove it. For which I think I'd need a chain wrench?

Since I have two bikes, I might be able to rebuild....

(waiting for post 10)
Yes, to disassemble a Suntour cassette, you need two chain whips. Or, rather, you need to immobilize the larger 6 cogs and be able to rotate the smallest cog in the opposite direction to unscrew, and using two chain whips is the easiest way.
Old 04-07-20, 05:29 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 873 Posts
IF you have a 7 speed Shimano type rear wheel you can borrow, give it a try.
That might be your simplest option.
I think the hub dimensions are similar enough to Shimano, that you could do a "hub swap", keeping the existing spokes & rim.
Old 04-07-20, 09:37 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 703 Times in 376 Posts
I have a 1992 Trek 750 Multi-Track that I would love to keep going, but teeth on the smallest gear have worn off to result in a slipping chain. I'm interested in sticking with all other shifters and ders and continue with 7 speeds in the back wheel.

Any advice on replacement (or repair)?
If you were in the US I would point you at Yellow Jersey in Wisconsin. Sadly it appears they are sold out of their cache of SunTour cassettes: Suntour Cassettes at Yellow Jersey Suntour Accushift and PowerFlow Cassettes at Yellow Jersey

As others said: your only choice is to install a Shimano or Shimano-compatible cassette hub and cassette. This might or might not work... it's not something I've tried personally.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 04-07-20, 09:46 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
We've done some 1990s SunTour replacements over the years. I ask the customer if they need to retain the shifters. If so then I am the bearing of bad news. As mentioned above ST used a different cog to cog spacing and thus the compatibility with current Shimano (and their clones) stuff isn't what we will suggest as it's not meant to work. If the customer can handle a different shifter (as in friction, thumb being the most common) then a shift lever and cog set replacement works. If the customer wants to retain indexing then a complete system swap to current stuff is needed. Then the cost is quoted and most fall back to the friction thumb lever option. Andy
Old 04-07-20, 09:48 PM
MrHubyUK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks Jeff for the link. I am in the US (Maryland) and will update my profile. I will post pics here soon - when I can get to 10....

If you or others have links/pointers to Shimano for Suntour replacements, I could use a hand. I don't know where to look.
Old 04-07-20, 10:33 PM
MrHubyUK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
We've done some 1990s SunTour replacements over the years. I ask the customer if they need to retain the shifters. If so then I am the bearing of bad news. As mentioned above ST used a different cog to cog spacing and thus the compatibility with current Shimano (and their clones) stuff isn't what we will suggest as it's not meant to work. If the customer can handle a different shifter (as in friction, thumb being the most common) then a shift lever and cog set replacement works. If the customer wants to retain indexing then a complete system swap to current stuff is needed. Then the cost is quoted and most fall back to the friction thumb lever option. Andy
You wouldn't be surprised to hear that I replaced the stripped and broken grip shifters with at Shimano SL-RS45 3x7 Twist Shifter set. They worked great - only to help me discover cassette problems. Since I have 2 Trek 750s, my hope is to salvage parts from at least one. And then take the thumb shifter with a different cog spacing alternative.

Still waiting to get to 10 post to show pictures. Didn't expect to see bearings.
Old 04-08-20, 08:25 AM
MrHubyUK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Any other sources in the US for Suntour parts (besides eBay) based on experiences would be helpful.
Old 04-08-20, 08:34 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
If your area has a bike recycler, sometimes called a bike kitchen (which I dislike as a reference term), they might have some 20+ year old parts on their shelves. Our local non profit (R Community Bikes, mission is to get bikes into the hands of needy people) doesn't intend to sell just parts but if one befriends them (maybe volunteer, certainly donate) they have been known to help out some of us.

There's not really enough potential customers to pay for a retail based used bike shop in most communities. Craig's List, Facebook Marketplace are two more on line potentials. Andy
Old 04-08-20, 08:49 AM
MrHubyUK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
There are indeed some of these in the DC area and should be very helpful. Thanks Andy. Shame about the timing - meeting these folks for tips and parts will have to wait a few months.
Old 04-08-20, 08:52 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Be sure to post a photo of the AP II 12-30 cassette when you get to 10 posts. I'd personally like to see a photo of that worn small cog. Did you say part of one cog tooth broke off?

And while I agree with what others have said about having difficulty finding a replacement for this cassette, if you know precisely what you need and you keep checking eBay, you are more likely to find a suitable replacement at a reasonable cost.

The smallest (outer) cassette cog is threaded onto the freehub body. It requires a chain whip to loosen the cog, then the whole cassette will slide right off. There was a "Microdrive" variant that permitted the use of an 11 tooth cog. These have a stepped freehub body. For this particular iteration, the outer 2 cogs thread together in a subassembly, then thread onto the freehub body.

To me, these SunTour Accushift cassettes work well and should last a long time. The spacing is unique for this so to get it to index correctly with the SunTour Accushift 7 shifters, you need to stick with a SunTour cassette. I have bought them for less than 35$ new but that was in a 12-24 or 12-28 combo.

Not to confuse you further but any SunTour 7 speed freewheel with a 4 prong freewheel body such as the Winner, Winner Pro or AP (black cogs) in a 7 speed will share the same spacing. So with the SunTour freewheel you could sub in a different rear wheel that uses a more standard threaded freewheel. SunTour 7 speed freewheels that are NOS (new old stock) have also become expensive, unfortunately. But again, they are out there and clean used examples pop up on eBay pretty regularly.
Am looking forward to seeing that picture of the 12 tooth cog!
Old 04-08-20, 08:54 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Are you sure the chain isn't the culprit? Perhaps it's stretched and simply slipping on that cog. I've never worn out a cog.
Old 04-08-20, 09:22 AM
MrHubyUK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

This is Bike #1 , Cassette still in place and showing the teeth broken on the 12T cog.
Old 04-08-20, 09:30 AM
MrHubyUK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here are pictures from the cassette dis-assembled from Bike #2 . Hopefully I can clean this and reassemble with some reading and supplies assessment (my preference) or bring to an LBS (to potentially save the bike).

Bike #2 Cassette - In good shape but hub was loose.

Bike #2 Cassette - Wheel Side

Bike #2 - Freehub

Bike #2 - Wheel backside

Bike #2 - Pins and nuts
Old 04-08-20, 09:50 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Well yeah, I guess it's not the chain................... <grin>
Old 04-08-20, 10:07 AM
MrHubyUK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here are some better pictures of the cassette from Bike #1 showing 12T cog damage. They look (and feel) broken...so I would not be surprised if the chain was this issue. Poorly maintained in the past....

Old 04-09-20, 05:28 AM
Jean_TX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Here are some better pictures of the cassette from Bike #1 showing 12T cog damage. They look (and feel) broken...so I would not be surprised if the chain was this issue. Poorly maintained in the past....

In addition to the damage to the smallest cog, the next smallest cog appears to be badly (ie, fatally) worn.
Old 04-09-20, 05:40 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Here is a replacement cassette that will work. It has a 28 large cog, not a 32 though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233486475123

And, for a bit more money - here is a nice silver nickel plated one that does have the same 32 tooth biggest cog:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/383487367840

Last edited by masi61; 04-09-20 at 05:44 AM.
Old 04-09-20, 06:09 AM
MrHubyUK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks masi61. My biggest cog is 30 (I counted 3 times)...but it looks like I have options and could browse for a little to get lucky.

Will get a couple of chain whips, some supplies to clean and repack some bearings, more research, and some confidence. I will post a new thread if I get stuck....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.