Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How long does it take to recover?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-13, 07:00 AM
squatchy
squatchy

Bikes: S-works Roubaix, S-works Tarmac, Gary Fisher Promethius, Tommasini Competion, Eddy Merckx Corsa 01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So the weather here in Colorado has been snowy and cold for quite a while now and my training is way behind for a tour I'm riding in 5 weeks. I have been riding lots (for me anyway) on the weekends.

My legs are shot all the time and it takes me a long time to recover, and then not totally. I'm a new rider (first year) and I'm 53 years old. Fat and out of shape.

Here's what I did the last end of last week.

Thursday I rode 24 miles with 2400 ft climbing. Friday I rode 18 miles with 1000 ft climing (hard and fast). Saturday I rode 84 miles First 60 in three hours (fast for me) and then slower with GF the last 24,,,same 24 as on Thursday. Sunday I rode 65 miles,,,long and slow with GF with lots of climbing.

It's now Thursday morninig and I'm still pretty tired.

How long would it take you guys to recover? To make it a little easier lets do this>>>>

How long would it take to ride a century and how long would it take you to recover?

I think I am way slow at recovering!!
Old 05-02-13, 07:08 AM
Gjc985

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
id say go out for a short spin to loosen up the legs. I would think they're just tight based on the load you put on them over three days
Old 05-02-13, 07:11 AM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Try resting for a day or two.
Old 05-02-13, 07:13 AM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Everybody will be a bit different on this, especially when starting out. Even for experienced cyclists some training plans recommend at least 36 hours between any hard efforts and some purposely put 2 in a row. You just have to experiment a bit and find what works for you.

I recommend something like no more than 2 hard days in a row followed by at least one easy day and one rest day and then repeat. Say big rides on Sat & Sun, recovery ride Monday, off Tuesday, hard ride Wednesday, mid-tempo Thursday, off Friday and then start it over. Try that pattern for a couple weeks and then adjust as needed.
Old 05-02-13, 07:32 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
The answer is ... it depends.

When I've been riding regularly over the past few years, a century or 200K or 300K isn't too difficult, and I generally recover about 2-3 days later. So if I ride it on a Saturday, I'm feeling all right by Tuesday. When I was younger and in the best shape of my life, I felt fine on the Monday, or sometimes the Sunday ... I have done back-to-back centuries and longer rides just fine.

However, if I haven't been exercising much and I kind of throw myself into it (like I have been doing lately), it's tough. I'm finding it's taking me to the middle of the week to recover.
Old 05-02-13, 07:37 AM
squatchy
squatchy

Bikes: S-works Roubaix, S-works Tarmac, Gary Fisher Promethius, Tommasini Competion, Eddy Merckx Corsa 01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One reason I'm riding three big days in a row is because I'm doing a 3 day tour in five weeks with a boat load of miles/climbing so I'm kinda wanting to replicate the Death Ride in riding in the first weekend of June. I'm really feeling like I'm WAY behind on where my training should be for this tour. This will be by far my toughest ride.
Old 05-02-13, 07:44 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
i'm slow. a century would take me 6 to 7 hours total time. That does include the relaxing lunch and beer, followed by a snooze while the food digests.

recovery is a couple of days. I can do another decent ride.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 05-02-13, 07:45 AM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
That being the case you should map out a plan that builds you to that point, with an easy taper the final week. I would try one more week of higher volume but mostly low and medium intensity rides. Then do a 3 week block with increasing intensity and finish with a recovery week. Make sure to schedule a rest day and some easy days during your build weeks, too, because it's on these days that your body actually adapts and gets stronger.
Old 05-02-13, 07:48 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
overthinking. just go out and ride. enjoy.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 05-02-13, 07:49 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Having a base of miles makes it easier. I'm your age, and after the 4 days you list, i'd take a day off, or a day for a recovery ride, then be back at it. How much training you can handle depends on what your already trained to handle.

Assuming you have the time to ride, I don't think you're advancing your training by taking 3 days off. I'd try to ride more days.

You also can improve your fitness and endurance, by adding some shorter intensity work.

You could try a schedule like this. Saturday, and Sunday 3-4 hours endurance paced each day. Monday off. Tuesday and Thursday, 90 minutes with intervals. Wednesday moderate paced 1 hour. Friday very easy spin for 30 minutes.

On the interval days, longer "steady state" intervals are going to serve your purpose best. Do 2 intervals just about as fast as you can maintain. Start at 10 minutes each, with 5 minutes in between, and work up to 20 minutes each.

Every 4th week, take a rest week where you skip the intervals, substituting reovery rides for the two interval days, and cut your weekend time to 2 hours each day.

If the schedule I've outlined is too aggressive, I'd decrease the volume (i.e. shorten one or both weekend days) before I skipped more days.

I think 4 days hard, followed by 3 or more days rest, is part of your problem, i.e. weekend warrior syndrome.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 05-02-13, 07:49 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Don't think there is a rote answer OP but after yesterday's hard ride this early in the season, I need a day off the bike.
If you feel tired which I do today...a good tired tho....rest is important.
What makes you stronger? When you break your body down, it grows stronger provided you allow it to aka rest.
Old 05-02-13, 01:22 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
The whole training and recovery process is very technical these days and the more you know about it the more successful you will be. Try this book to begin learning. https://www.humankinetics.com/product...ycling-past-50
Old 05-02-13, 01:36 PM
CrankAndYank
Banned.

Bikes: 2 x 2012 GT Series 1, 2012 P2C

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Depends on your DNA. Build a time machine and select your parents more carefully this time.
Old 05-02-13, 01:46 PM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Having a base of miles makes it easier. I'm your age, and after the 4 days you list, i'd take a day off, or a day for a recovery ride, then be back at it. How much training you can handle depends on what your already trained to handle.

Assuming you have the time to ride, I don't think you're advancing your training by taking 3 days off. I'd try to ride more days.

You also can improve your fitness and endurance, by adding some shorter intensity work.

You could try a schedule like this. Saturday, and Sunday 3-4 hours endurance paced each day. Monday off. Tuesday and Thursday, 90 minutes with intervals. Wednesday moderate paced 1 hour. Friday very easy spin for 30 minutes.

On the interval days, longer "steady state" intervals are going to serve your purpose best. Do 2 intervals just about as fast as you can maintain. Start at 10 minutes each, with 5 minutes in between, and work up to 20 minutes each.

Every 4th week, take a rest week where you skip the intervals, substituting reovery rides for the two interval days, and cut your weekend time to 2 hours each day.

If the schedule I've outlined is too aggressive, I'd decrease the volume (i.e. shorten one or both weekend days) before I skipped more days.

I think 4 days hard, followed by 3 or more days rest, is part of your problem, i.e. weekend warrior syndrome.
Nice post!
Old 05-02-13, 01:52 PM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I normally need 2 days to recover (no riding or zone 1/2 ride only) after a century or a hard ride.
Old 05-02-13, 02:13 PM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm usually fine the day after a long ride but you aren't me and vice versa.
If it is a particularly difficult race where I went all in for a fair amount of time that may take a day or two.
I have been riding for a while and have spent an extensive amount of time working on recovery methods.
Old 05-02-13, 02:22 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
First You need to get in Shape for Long Rides.

Take shorter rides till you get in better shape.

I have done 5 centurys in five days. 71 y/o here.

Old 05-02-13, 03:01 PM
ricohman

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I'm a 1000 years old.
It takes me at least 2 days to recover from an intense effort or race. But I just ride easy on those days.
And those are the days when idiots doddle around me while I ride like a granny. Go figure.
Old 05-02-13, 03:18 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
First You need to get in Shape for Long Rides.

Take shorter rides till you get in better shape.

I have done 5 centurys in five days. 71 y/o here.
Very very impressive.
Old 05-02-13, 03:28 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I sometimes ride the trainer with recovery in mind on the morning with subsequent hard rides in the afternoon / evening.
Old 05-02-13, 03:28 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh

+1
Words to train by OP.
Old 05-02-13, 03:51 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
To recover you're really asking your body to rebuild stuff that broke down during those hard rides. As pointed out before you don't get stronger by riding more, you get stronger when you recover. You don't do bench presses 24x7 and get stronger and stronger - in fact you'll get weaker and weaker. However if you do a bunch of bench presses, rest (and recover), then you should be able to bench press a bit more next time.

To recover you need to give your body the material it needs to recover. That's rest and nutrients. "Nutrients" doesn't necessarily mean a strict diet, it means you need to give your body the proteins, the minerals, the carbohydrates it needs to refuel and replenish.

In the days before I ride I'll make sure I'm eating a bit more carb rich. Just before, and I mean like 15 minutes before, if I haven't had time to eat properly then I'll have simple sugars (i.e. a Coke and a bar/gel etc). If I'm not eating carbs in the day or so before I ride then I'm going to feel weak when I do ride, regardless of any Cokes etc. If I don't eat enough protein I'm going to feel sore/tired for longer than necessary. If I don't eat enough calories I feel weak/fatigued in general.

Actual dieticians/nutritionists feel free to pipe up.
Old 05-02-13, 04:16 PM
Will Goes Boing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Listen to your body. I recently had my 2nd experience in true over training and I can tell you that once your body has had enough, no amount of mental fortitude can push you through. You hear that word being thrown around a lot, but the truth is that it takes a lot to reach the point of over training.

Last week I did 5 hard rides with 1 intense leg workout at the gym thrown in there. When I went for a ride on the weekend I felt like my legs had nothing left in them. I was struggling to ride on the flats with almost zero wind. At that point I just turned around and went back home. Two days later and my legs still had this dull disconnected feeling in my muscles.

The key is to take as long as you need to recover, and to not try to do too much too soon. Also drinking plenty of water and eating a healthy diet with enough protein will help with recovery.
Old 05-02-13, 07:50 PM
Beneficial Ear
Car Free

Bikes: caad8, Trek 1000

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've done a handful of 100+ mile rides over the past few weeks and gone right back out the next day for another long ride and typically none of these are "easy" rides. How is very simple - stretch after the ride, stretch again later... keep well fed/hydrated during the ride and eat smart directly after the ride (and in general). No stretching = soreness... a really bad bonk the day before = tired/drained... not eating smart = lack of general endurance/tired/drained... this is personal observations but ya can't go wrong with stretching/eating right/drinking plenty of water.
Old 05-02-13, 08:20 PM
stilltooslow

Bikes: Guru Evolo R, Colnago Pista, Look AL 464P SS, various frankenbikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The older you are, the longer it takes to recover. Believe me, as a 57 y/o life long roadie, my body tells the hard truth.

I try to take a rest day after no more than 5 days on and very rarely 6, and I'll always have an easy day somewhere near the middle. And as others mentioned, you'll find that you can go longer and rest less once your conditioning improves. Just try to get a nice mileage base for now and everything will progress in time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.