Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

The art of dating.

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

The art of dating.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-15, 01:41 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
You don't need a car to get a driver's license. I have been car free since 1989 and still have liability insurance and an operator's license with a motorcycle endorsement. If I want to get far out of town in a hurry, I can rent a car. My VISA covers damage to a rental car up to complete loss. So I don't have to purchase any overpriced insurance from rental car companies. Sometimes I can get $19 a day.

OK...what's the point in telling you this? When attempting to date it really narrows the field of quality prospects if you look like a loser. There is a huge difference in perception between "I choose to not waste my money on cars" and "I can't drive". There is your first hurdle.

Next...by not owning cars and generally living a simple lifestyle well below my means I can save money. I have dated many professional women in my lifetime (got married for the first time at 53 years of age) as a car-free male in a place where only DUIs don't have driver's licenses or cars. I am pretty much a freak here. So how do I land these professional women? Easy. Even though they make tons of money, they blow most of it - house, car(s), clothes, makeup, hair, nails, gym memberships, probably some forced retirement investments (401K, mutual funds) etc. So I find one of these gals who loves to travel like I do and can get time to do so. She has time + I have disposable money. See where this is going? And I am a nice guy, not too hard to look at, trim (thanks to NOT owning a car), and I am not an addict, drunk, divorcee, no baggage, no kids, no smoking, and I don't need more than one woman at a time. No cheating.

It's easy! We use her car, I pay for EVERYTHING ELSE. Fuel, motels, food, whatever. Women generally prefer not driving on road trips. No Problemo. I have a license and my own liability insurance (which, by the way, is dirt cheap when you don't actually own a car).

After a long life of doing ^^this, I met a woman who was worth marrying - fun, fit, happy, and NOT CRAZY. I am now in the "Living Happily Ever After" phase. All because I ride a bike instead of p!$$!ng money away on cars AND I don't make myself look like a DUI case. I sell it (being car free) a whole other way.
Bravo! I too have a driver's license with a motorcycle endorsement, liability insurance and credit cards. And I've found that as I got older, women's values changed, being slim and in shape is much rarer and more valued. I also pay for meals, movies etc to show that I am not a penniless loser.

And it may help with employment. I had a distance interview at home via Skype yesterday. My interviewers approvingly noted my collection of bikes in the background.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 02-04-15, 07:54 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
... I had a distance interview at home via Skype yesterday. My interviewers approvingly noted my collection of bikes in the background.
HA! Never thought of doing that. If I did right now I would have a Surly Pugsley on the wall behind me. That bike is a serious conversation piece, (which is often an annoyance actually). So long as the interviewer were male or a kid I would get the job. Women on the other hand seem to be immune to the appreciation of giant tires.
Old 02-06-15, 12:29 PM
jdswitters

Bikes: Swobo Fillmore, Kona Ute, Salsa Timberjack, Salsa Fargo, New belgium brewery cruisers-2014 and 2009 and 2007

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
HA! Never thought of doing that. If I did right now I would have a Surly Pugsley on the wall behind me. That bike is a serious conversation piece, (which is often an annoyance actually).
There are finally enough around town that I have not been pulled over and asked where I got it in half a year.

[/QUOTE] Women on the other hand seem to be immune to the appreciation of giant tires.[/QUOTE]

Rode my fat tire during the 30 year class reunion, heard I was trying to compensate for something.
Old 02-06-15, 03:16 PM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
I also pay for meals, movies etc to show that I am not a penniless loser.
I looked up "loser" in the Urban Dictionary and found this definition:

loser
loser – n. A person who has fallen off the social ladder, climbed down the social ladder, jumped off the social ladder, or just never bothered to climb the social ladder in the first place. Upon arrival on the ground, losers begin to befriend fellow groundlings and realize how much fun a person can have when gravity isn’t an issue. It is perfectly acceptable to insult losers, because they have nowhere to fall to and it won’t hurt much. They will end up laughing about it later, anyways. Every now and then, a loser will glance at the top of the social ladder, but it is never long before they realize how pointless and stupid the top of the ladder is.

Urban Dictionary: loser

Old 02-06-15, 06:02 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ekdog

loser
loser – n. A person who has fallen off the social ladder, climbed down the social ladder, jumped off the social ladder, or just never bothered to climb the social ladder in the first place. Upon arrival on the ground, losers begin to befriend fellow groundlings and realize how much fun a person can have when gravity isn’t an issue. It is peerfectly acceptable to insult losers, because they have nowhere to fall to and it won’t hurt much. They will end up laughing about it later, anyways. Every now and then, a loser will glance at the top of the social ladder, but it is never long before they realize how pointless and stupid the top of the ladder is.

Next time somebody calls me a loser I guess I should take it as a compliment

Last edited by Walter S; 02-06-15 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-06-15, 06:54 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Ekdog

loser
loser – n. A person who has fallen off the social ladder, climbed down the social ladder, jumped off the social ladder, or just never bothered to climb the social ladder in the first place. Upon arrival on the ground, losers begin to befriend fellow groundlings and realize how much fun a person can have when gravity isn’t an issue. It is perfectly acceptable to insult losers, because they have nowhere to fall to and it won’t hurt much. They will end up laughing about it later, anyways. Every now and then, a loser will glance at the top of the social ladder, but it is never long before they realize how pointless and stupid the top of the ladder is.

Not only that, but it's also a person who:

- thinks that everybody out there owes them something
- has no desire to self-improve
- no goals in life besides daydreaming about vanity
- blames other people for their own problems
- never takes responsibility for anything
- lazy and no desire to work and be productive
- mooch of off other peoples kindness
- claims to "know everything" but yet their life speaks a different story
- claims to know how to make the world a better place and yet their own life is a mess.
Old 02-06-15, 08:06 PM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Coluber42
If you're happily able to be self-sufficient without a car, do you really want to waste your time dating people who can't respect your perfectly reasonable lifestyle choices and priorities?
Yes! This is the key question for me. I'd rather be alone with dignity than in a relationship that required me to sacrifice my self-respect. Anyone who would hint that I was a "loser" because I don't own a motor car or because my bankbook isn't big enough to suit them would be confronted with me laughing in their face.
Old 02-07-15, 03:50 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
if you're happily able to be self-sufficient without a car, do you really want to waste your time dating people who can't respect your perfectly reasonable lifestyle choices and priorities?
It depends on how horny or lonely I am. Respect for my lifestyle can at least wait a little while.
Old 02-07-15, 09:41 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Back to the original question though, if you're happily able to be self-sufficient without a car, do you really want to waste your time dating people who can't respect your perfectly reasonable lifestyle choices and priorities?
You are making several big assumptions; that the OP is happy with his current lifestyle, that he is self sufficient without a car, and that living without a car is by choice and/or a priority for him.

The possibility exists (rather high IMO) is that none of your assumptions are true for the OP, and that the only relatively safe assumption is that his current lifestyle is short on desired companionship from the opposite sex.
Old 02-07-15, 09:48 PM
AbsurdChalk
Dead Fly

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Bianchi Campione D'Italia, Bianchi Ibex

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started this article more for the part of hearing stories. Yalls input has been great!
Old 02-07-15, 09:49 PM
AbsurdChalk
Dead Fly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S
It depends on how horny or lonely I am. Respect for my lifestyle can at least wait a little while.
By social means, it is hard to just walk away.
Old 02-07-15, 09:51 PM
AbsurdChalk
Dead Fly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Not only that, but it's also a person who:

- thinks that everybody out there owes them something
- has no desire to self-improve
- no goals in life besides daydreaming about vanity
- blames other people for their own problems
- never takes responsibility for anything
- lazy and no desire to work and be productive
- mooch of off other peoples kindness
- claims to "know everything" but yet their life speaks a different story
- claims to know how to make the world a better place and yet their own life is a mess.
I love daydreaming about not having goals.
Old 02-07-15, 09:57 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by AbsurdChalk
I started this article more for the part of hearing stories. Yalls input has been great!
Why not provide your own story?
Old 02-07-15, 10:04 PM
AbsurdChalk
Dead Fly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Why not provide your own story?
Well, I dont really have a in-depth story. I was dating a girl that attended a college about 150 miles from where I lived, and I took the greyhound to see her. I dont think she had a problem with me not having a car. I think it is easier to date in college without a car than outside of college.

Ill be attending college for the next few years, so I am not too worried about racking up more stories.
Old 02-07-15, 10:13 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by AbsurdChalk
I think it is easier to date in college without a car than outside of college.

Ill be attending college for the next few years, so I am not too worried about racking up more stories.
I believe your thinking is correct; enjoy your college life, it usually doesn't last forever.
Old 02-13-15, 04:31 PM
cerewa
put our Heads Together

Bikes: a mountain bike with a cargo box on the back and aero bars on the front. an old well-worn dahon folding bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a not-really-exciting story but I'll share it anyway. (Part of the point, to me, is that it's not necessarily crazy/weird/interesting to date with no car).

A few years ago I met a lady who, like me, had never owned her own car. I'm someone who typically goes places that are convenient to non-car-owners and many of the people I see in those places are non-car-owners. This particular event was a big gathering of Quakers. The lady and I enjoyed each other's company so I invited her to a group that was meeting weekly in my neighborhood. We got to know each other, went on a few dates... moved in together when we'd known each other for a year and got married when we'd known each other for 3 years.

I've had a license since i was 16 but the first I ever owned a car was last September. She's never had a license.