Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

I Was Hit By A Car!!!!!!!!!!!

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

I Was Hit By A Car!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-06, 02:15 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're assuming stuff in example 2 that we know not to be true. In particular, the OP wrote that the driver had no reason to slow down. Therefore, there was no stop sign.
Old 07-13-06, 02:35 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And regardless of how fast the car was actually moving or the OP's ability to accurately estimate that speed, on a road where the posted speed limit is 55 (which we have established) it is only reasonable to assume motor traffic is moving 60+ or even 70 unless we have specific reason to assume otherwise.

Plus, note the (sadly typical for many cyclists) ignorance conveyed in the current revision of the OP:

Originally Posted by arreyonskyy
WHY DID I MOVE TO THE MIDDLE ON THE ROAD. THE LAST TIME I CHECKED IT WAS THE ONLY WAY TO MOVE LEFT FROM RIGHT.
The implication is that cyclists are supposed to stay to the right, unless they have a reason to move left (like to make a left turn), in which case they have the right to move left, regardless of how it affects others, and without having to negotiate for the right-of-way to do so. The implied reasoning apparently is: "why should I have to negotiate for a right that is already mine? After all... THE LAST TIME I CHECKED IT WAS THE ONLY WAY TO MOVE LEFT FROM RIGHT."

Actually, is that ignorance, arrogance, or both? Either way, this attitude seems to be far too typical among cyclists...
Old 07-13-06, 03:03 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13659 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by nova
Fact is genec yours and other replies served no purpose at all other than to devert atention from the original intent of the post. You dont like the way he posted dont reply simple as that. All you did was turn a crash post in to a grammer bash post.. This was what you wanted to do and you did it so congrats you showed your better than every one else or did you hmm lets see "spelling checker" nope guess you did not prove it now did you"
No nova, I had no intention of doing that... I wanted the OP to make the post more readable so that it would not be read by only the select few that tried to decipher the message. I wanted the message readable by a wider audiance... but apparently the OP did not care, so the responses will be limited to those that either saw the original message and decided to wade through it, or by those that continue this as a spell checker police thing.

Sorry if you feel I was trying to divert attention... that was not my intention at all. And in light of your and other's feelings about the post, and since it can't be read anyway... I'm out of here... but I will gladly respond to the OP if they chose to post in a more readable manner.
Old 07-13-06, 03:19 PM
nova
hill hater

Location: norton ohio 5.5 miles from center road tow path trail head

Bikes: cannondale t400 1987 model and a raleigh gran prix from 1973

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Helmet Head
You're assuming stuff in example 2 that we know not to be true. In particular, the OP wrote that the driver had no reason to slow down. Therefore, there was no stop sign.

I dont remember seeing that in his original post. He got tired of the bashing and insults and changed it and im asuming left these forums.
Old 07-13-06, 03:50 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dont remember seeing that in his original post.
What I recall was something about him turning left and the driver continuing to go straight, and therefore not having the same need to slow down, which implied the lack of a stop sign.
Old 07-13-06, 03:54 PM
nova
hill hater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What I recall was something about him turning left and the driver continuing to go straight, and therefore not having the same need to slow down, which implied the lack of a stop sign.

Ahh ok Well with out him replying its kind of hard to kow for sure. But you still havent answered my question about example 2
Come on now whos at fault in example b
Old 07-13-06, 03:55 PM
nova
hill hater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ahh ok Well with out him replying its kind of hard to kow for sure. But you still havent answered my question about example 2
Come to think of it how bout you and i put our heads togather and come up with some common and maybe not so common accident types and post them and potential ways o avoid them? Been a while sence this forum has had a new sticky
Old 07-13-06, 04:52 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why reinvent the wheel? See bicyclesafe.com
Old 07-13-06, 05:05 PM
nova
hill hater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why reinvent the wheel? See bicyclesafe.com
Not bad but i see some that are missing. It doesnt cover merging in to trafic lanes for example. Or doign every thing right lights etc and having some putz take a corner to tightly ending up smack in the middle of your lane. I had some clown do that to me last night i got him rely good to.

For a example look at wrong way smack but put the cyclist on the correct side motorist startign on the right side have the car make a left turn on to the road and hit you. In my case i sort of had a right hook wrong way smack combo but i was in the right lane center of lane.

And when i say got him good i mean seen him swurved to avoid while unclipping left foot and getting ready to brace for impact wich i did.

My left pedal got his rear quater down low my ceats got it up high above the wheel well towards the back. He looked at me I think i said bummer isnt it?
Old 07-13-06, 05:13 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, if you want it all... I refer you to the book, Effective Cycling....
Old 07-13-06, 05:17 PM
nova
hill hater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, if you want it all... I refer you to the book, Effective Cycling....
Id not midn having a copy to tell your the truth. But at moment i need to spend my limited money on other stuff. Simply put i need to keep my bike on the road. Dang thing is wantign to fall apart. I got a busted downtube shifter mount thats holding on by like 5 threads. Need to get new real handle bar wrap new seat new shoes and pedal system out right its a bloody nightmare.

Ahh well any more replies on this sub subject should go to pms i think.
Old 07-13-06, 05:56 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a moot question.

A basic tenet of defensive driving is that in almost all collisions (with very few extreme exceptions), the collision would have been avoided if either of the drivers involved had been operating defensively. Therefore, in any collision, both of those involved are at fault at least for not operating defensively. So, in virtually any bike-car collision, both the cyclist and the driver are at fault to some significant degree.

For me, in a cyclist forum, in terms of collisions, it only makes sense to focus on changing the behavior of the cyclist. After all, while changing either will avoid the collisions, we have no direct control over the behavior of the motorist, so we must take his behavior as a given. Therefore, it only makes sense to focus on the area where we do have direct control: the behavior of the cyclist.

Motorists are going to speed. They're going to be distracted. They're going to turn right without checking their blind spots. They're going to not see us from time and time and turn left in front of us. We should treat motorist bad driving like potholes: learn to expect it, and learn to avoid it.

From our point of view, blaming a motorist for a collision is like blaming a pothole for a crash: it's pointless.
Old 07-13-06, 06:53 PM
sgtsmile
Speed Demon *roll eyes*

Bikes: 1998 specialized s-works mtn bike / 2005 Kona Jake the Snake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a moot question.

A basic tenet of defensive driving is that in almost all collisions (with very few extreme exceptions), the collision would have been avoided if either of the drivers involved had been operating defensively. Therefore, in any collision, both of those involved are at fault at least for not operating defensively. So, in virtually any bike-car collision, both the cyclist and the driver are at fault to some significant degree.

For me, in a cyclist forum, in terms of collisions, it only makes sense to focus on changing the behavior of the cyclist. After all, while changing either will avoid the collisions, we have no direct control over the behavior of the motorist, so we must take his behavior as a given. Therefore, it only makes sense to focus on the area where we do have direct control: the behavior of the cyclist.

Motorists are going to speed. They're going to be distracted. They're going to turn right without checking their blind spots. They're going to not see us from time and time and turn left in front of us. We should treat motorist bad driving like potholes: learn to expect it, and learn to avoid it.

From our point of view, blaming a motorist for a collision is like blaming a pothole for a crash: it's pointless.
Exactly. This is the same philosophy that the company I taught driving for used. It works very very well.
Old 07-13-06, 11:52 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sgtsmile
Exactly. This is the same philosophy that the company I taught driving for used. It works very very well.
Thanks for confirming. I was just extrapolating from what a friend of mine told me who took a defensive driving class.
Old 07-14-06, 09:11 AM
WiseOwl

Bikes: Sun EZ-3 Recumbent Trike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pity this thread got hijacked by grammarians and the OP deleted his post out of frustration. I read it when he first posted it, but wanted to go back and recheck his statements. There may have been presentation issues, but after getting so fed up with the poor grammar I keep finding on the major media websites (New York Times, CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC, FoxNews, Washington Post, etc.), his original story still made sense.

Getting back on topic: If I was driving along at 55 mph, and a cyclist was riding the shoulder 500 feet ahead, he would automatically go in my constantly changing 'things to watch for' list, along with stray dogs, squirrels, and little kids running towards the street. At the same time, a variation of the phrase "mind the pedestrian" will go through my head.

You can also be darn sure that if that same cyclist signals a left and pulls out in front of me while I'm rapidly gaining on him, there's going to be at least one set of skid marks, with the first set left on the road.

James
Old 07-14-06, 10:22 AM
flipped4bikes
ROM 6:23

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Lemond Tourmalet, Bridgestone MB-5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, OK, so are you saying that they should never be held responsible for their actions?
Old 07-14-06, 10:39 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sgtsmile
Dont bother to respond, I am through with this waste of time.
+1 Just reading to this point in the thread has made me feel dirtier and dumber for the effort.

To the OP - glad you're OK, take more care going forward.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 07-14-06, 10:49 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
When a slow moving cyclist suddenly pulls out from a shoulder into the main travel lane without yielding to a vehicle 500 feet back traveling at 88 feet per second (60 mph), he is likely to get hit from the rear. Duh.
Really? I don't suppose it ever crossed your mind that some of these things that you jump to condemn after the fact are caused by some of the wacky crap you post in these forums while passing yourself off as some kind of expert. DHLP, or whatever your latest term for it, is a good example. Many interpet it to mean exactly the behavior you are now condemning. And you wonder why some of us feel the need to ensure that much of your dogma does not go unchallenged...because otherwise your words might get even more people hurt.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 07-14-06, 10:52 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
Really? I don't suppose it ever crossed your mind that some of these things that you jump to condemn after the fact are caused by some of the wacky crap you post in these forums while passing yourself off as some kind of expert. DHLP, or whatever your latest term for it, is a good example. Many interpet it to mean exactly the behavior you are now condemning. And you wonder why some of us feel the need to ensure that much of your dogma does not go unchallenged...because otherwise your words might get even more people hurt.
If people can't see the difference between a dynamic position on the roadway and pulling in front of a non-yielding car to make a left turn then maybe they shouldn't be riding a bike or reading anything for that matter.
Old 07-14-06, 12:19 PM
ch9862

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WiseOwl
Pity this thread got hijacked by grammarians and the OP deleted his post out of frustration.
+1. I hope the OP is fine - from pictures it looked like the car was going still reasonably fast when it happened.
Old 07-14-06, 01:53 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WiseOwl
Getting back on topic: If I was driving along at 55 mph, and a cyclist was riding the shoulder 500 feet ahead, he would automatically go in my constantly changing 'things to watch for' list, along with stray dogs, squirrels, and little kids running towards the street. At the same time, a variation of the phrase "mind the pedestrian" will go through my head.
Good for you. Now what about the large percentage (50%? 99%? 10%? does it matter?) of drivers who are likely to NOT notice a cyclist 500 feet up ahead in the shoulder?

How many incidents of cyclists riding in bike lanes and shoulders who are killed by drivers who did not notice the cyclist 500 feet up ahead in the shoulder and inadvertently drifted before you are convinced this is a real issue? How many?

Last edited by Helmet Head; 07-14-06 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-14-06, 01:58 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flipped4bikes
Yeah, OK, so are you saying that they should never be held responsible for their actions?
Absolutely not. I'm talking only in the context of what cyclists need to do to avoid being involved in crashes. Going after bad drivers, while important for other reasons, I don't believe is very effective in making cycling safer. And the effect is practically nil compared to the effect of how much altering cyclist behavior can have in making a given cyclist's cycling safer.
Old 07-14-06, 02:03 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
If someone reads what I have written, decides it means he can and/or should move in front of 60 mph traffic, and does so, that's not my responsibility. That's poor reading comprehension. And Darwinism.

Last edited by Helmet Head; 02-07-07 at 01:08 PM.
Old 02-07-07, 01:00 AM
Big_knob
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by arreyonskyy
I deleted my post because of the stupidity of several people. ThIs WaS NoT a PoSt On GrAMmEr, NOR ON WHEN OR WHEN NOT TO USE CAPS PER ThE BeDfOrD HaNdBoOk FoR WrItErS. When i ride, i do not carry what ever that device is that messures speed (but i am sure some KNOW IT ALL WILL SAY).
Neither do I have Super Measure Man abilities to judge distance with an aprx. number.
All i can say concerning her speed is what the Trooper *noted on the accident report* and what the driver *REPORTED TO HER INSURANCE COMPANY*
WHY WAS I NOT THROWN 100 FT BEHIND THE CAR

******* BY THE GRACE OF GOD*********
that was directed to the "crash consulant" or what ever he is

What did the witness say SHE WAS ON THE CELL PHONE GOING FROM SIDE TO SIDE ON THE ROAD. BY ALL MEANS SHE WAS RECKLESS. Her child was in the front seat (an infant child) with the car seat in the back seat. MAY I REPEAT RECKLESS

WHY DID I MOVE TO THE MIDDLE ON THE ROAD. THE LAST TIME I CHECKED IT WAS THE ONLY WAY TO MOVE LEFT FROM RIGHT.
so carry on
YOU MAY DEBATE ON WHETHER OR NOT MY GRAMMER or cApS hurt your eyes.
The last time i was smashed into real good from a car was several years ago . The guy was going in excess of 60 MPH in a 35 MPH zone & he smashed into me from behind. When he hit me i smashed into his windshield shattering it with my back , rolled down the hood to the ground on my back & my arms went instinctively up(i spose) to catch the bumper keeping myself from being sucked up under the car as it was skidding 70+ft(as police measured) i remember seeing skythen undercarriage then sky then under carriage ...
I was not even hurt other than a few scrapes & bruises. totally smashed everything on my Schwinn Homegrown as it was tossed up in the air ,up & over the car.
No, i wasn't wearing a helmet. Gloves did save my hands though from furtherly being ground chuck.
Old 02-07-07, 10:36 AM
CrosseyedCrickt
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Necromancer strikes again

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.