Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Campy rims…..too many holes?!?!?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-22, 08:32 AM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 665 Posts

Stopped by a fav bike shop this week and if I enter a shop, I’m going to at least buy something; sew ups, Phil wood grease, a park tool.

While buying some Vittoria sew ups, I was asked if I could use some rims.

before I could answer, he left to the back room, I heard rustling and swear words, followed by a clang or two as rims fell and bounced about.

he returned with a new pair of Campy record crono. Some of the lightest and rarest rims ever.

now I know they are really Ambrosia rims and from the late 80s, a lil later than my bikes. But he said, “$20 and they are yours. I’ve moved them twice to two different storefronts. You are the only one I know who would use them.”

I paid him, and gifted him with a bottle of Leonetti I had in my trunk since I caught the wrong ferry and couldn’t share Walla Wala’s finest with fellow C&V-ers.

unwrapping them, I could see one had more spoke holes than the other so I assumed 36 and 32.

Once home, I actually counted them.
40 holes and 36 holes.

huh???!

I counted again. Using the stem hole as the starting point to make sure I wasn’t mistaken.

40 holes.

can’t be right. I used blue tape and marked off every 10.

40 holes.

so many questions. Example, if you’re going to make one of the lightest rims in the world, why would you weigh it down with so many spokes. And where the heck am I supposed to find a 40 spoke hole hub?
Likes For Robvolz:
Old 10-25-22, 08:49 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
@Robvolz - My tandem uses 48 hole rims. 40/36 would work well for a racing tandem.
Old 10-25-22, 09:09 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,754 Times in 966 Posts
Leonetti, one of the best. Where did you get that? are you on the club member? That's not easy to get. I gave up the spirts a number of years but still have much respect for the WW Appalachia.

On the 40, I have a few of those, one Campy track large flange rear that would be a good match for the rim.
Old 10-25-22, 09:23 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
Forty hole rims are very common for grand touring bicycle rear wheels but tourists rarely use tubulars, preferring the more durable wired-on tyres. Campagnolo did offer tandem hubs in 32, 36, 40 & 48 hole versions for a few years in the early 1990s so, as previously mention by SJX426, a racing tandem would be one possibility. Another discipline that would use a lightweight tubular rim with extra spoke holes would be cyclo-cross. Also some track sprint cyclists.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 10-25-22, 09:27 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,916 Times in 656 Posts
When I was on the roundabout way home from teaching in Japan in 1971, I stopped in Hong Kong and found a bike shop on the Island. I paid $17 for a pair of Campy Record high flange hubs. Being a former British colony they were 32º front and 40º rear. As I understand it, that was a not an uncommon configuration for the Brits. Who I will remind you loved time trails because somewhere back in their past, they discouraged road racing because clogging up the roads with a pack of cyclists might turn attitudes against cycling. It was popular to have light rims for time trialing. Having so many holes on the rear makes it easier to keep a light rim in true and better to withstand pedaling forces. And the spokes aren't so necessary in the front so there are fewer of them there.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 10-25-22, 09:49 AM
styggno1
Steel is real

Bikes: 40 - accumulated over 40 years

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 1,089 Times in 305 Posts
1986 Bible. 40 was a standard drilling on Record - but note * - "other drilling upon request" on Victory series.

Old 10-25-22, 09:51 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 248 Posts
Yes, it is for Brits. I would never put something as recent as a Record Crono on my '50 Bates. In fact have a 40 hole 50s Fiamme to match the front ready to go should I ever need a rim. But Brits are very casual about these things. It's a service part and there are still a lot of bikes in use that take rims like this. Campy has always been there when service parts are needed.
Old 10-25-22, 10:52 AM
Robvolz 

Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
When I was on the roundabout way home from teaching in Japan in 1971, I stopped in Hong Kong and found a bike shop on the Island. I paid $17 for a pair of Campy Record high flange hubs. Being a former British colony they were 32º front and 40º rear. As I understand it, that was a not an uncommon configuration for the Brits. Who I will remind you loved time trails because somewhere back in their past, they discouraged road racing because clogging up the roads with a pack of cyclists might turn attitudes against cycling. It was popular to have light rims for time trialing. Having so many holes on the rear makes it easier to keep a light rim in true and better to withstand pedaling forces. And the spokes aren't so necessary in the front so there are fewer of them there.
Wow, interesting story. So different from Portland's cycling attitude which is "mine, mine, mine, the whole road is mine because the law says so."

I can't even imagine living in a place where people are so thoughtful.

Anyway, you kind of prove my "head shaking" point. why make a rim so light and flimsy, that you need extra spokes (weight) to keep it true.

I have a drawer of 32 and 36 hubs. This rim is no longer the deal I thought it was.

Its kind of like, "here, I want you to have this $1,000 saddle." Great, now I have to buy a horse. OK, not the best analogy, because when you heard saddle you thought bike saddle.

I'll work on it.
Old 10-25-22, 10:55 AM
Robvolz 

Originally Posted by Mr. 66
Leonetti, one of the best. Where did you get that? are you on the club member? That's not easy to get. I gave up the spirts a number of years but still have much respect for the WW Appalachia.

On the 40, I have a few of those, one Campy track large flange rear that would be a good match for the rim.
I looked at the photos. They aren't drilled like the normal large flange. And, I'd have to buy two because having a small up front and large in back would look unbalanced.

Message me if you want some Leonetti. I have full verticals going back. I'm friends with Chris.
Old 10-25-22, 11:00 AM
Robvolz 

sigh. Found some hubs. The rears are too wide. I'm not going to risk cracking vintage drop-outs. I'll post them in the trade or sale section.
Old 10-25-22, 12:20 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by Robvolz
where the heck am I supposed to find a 40 spoke hole hub?
Plenty to choose from here:

Hubs
Brand Drill Front or Rear Sealed Bearings QR Width (mm) Cost
Phil Wood 36°, 40°, 48° Front Yes Yes 100 Call
Phil Wood Freewheel 40° Rear Yes Yes 140, 145, 160 Call
White Ind. 36°, 40°, 48° Front Yes Yes 100 $175
Shimano XT 40°, 48° Front Yes Yes 100 $155
Ride 2 (silver) 40° Front Yes Yes 100 $125
Hadley 40°, 48° Front Yes Yes 100 $175
Ride 2 Disc (black) 40° Front Yes Yes 100 $155

https://tandemseast.com/hubs-cassettes/
Old 10-25-22, 01:55 PM
Robvolz 

I really appreciate you googling all that for me.

My bike is all vintage Italian. I wasn't looking for a new project or way to spend my money when I have a drawer full of campy hubs.

I'm also not a weight weenie. I would rather bomb through a pot hole or off a curb without worrying if these 280 grams of rotating aluminum stay true.

The responsible thing to do would be to sell these or trade them on something more practical. Like pantograghed parts.
Likes For Robvolz:
Old 10-25-22, 02:44 PM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,053 Times in 545 Posts
Originally Posted by Robvolz
I looked at the photos. They aren't drilled like the normal large flange. And, I'd have to buy two because having a small up front and large in back would look unbalanced.

Message me if you want some Leonetti. I have full verticals going back. I'm friends with Chris.
Trade Leonetti for Champagne? PM me. I’m in Beaverton. 🙂
Old 10-26-22, 01:44 PM
Macguyver909

Bikes: '56 Raleigh sports, 70's Raleigh International

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 21 Posts
You could always build it up on a Sturmey Archer AW 3 speed hub. 40 hole are common as chips. In fact I had a hard time finding a modern rim with 40 holes to lace into my '56 AW hub but Velocity Atlas rims are available with 40 holes.