Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Recommend a beginner bike for my wife.

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-13-15, 01:43 AM
murrellington

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here's the deal, I ride fixed gear and my wife wants to ride bikes with me for fun and for fitness. Her birthday was today and she was given $400 from here parents for a bike. That is kind of our budget. I have no idea what that could get so bear with me. Can't decide between new and second hand. I think I'd rather get new because I wouldn't know what to look for second hand.

Any help would be great. And be honest. She isn't pro so she doesn't need an expensive bike, but let me know if we would be better off with a higher budget.
Old 07-13-15, 02:59 AM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
$400 gets her a kilo TT so she can ride fixed with you. It won't get anything decent in a new road bike but could get a used and/or vintage for that price
Old 07-13-15, 08:00 AM
seymour1910

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by murrellington
Here's the deal, I ride fixed gear and my wife wants to ride bikes with me for fun and for fitness. Her birthday was today and she was given $400 from here parents for a bike. That is kind of our budget. I have no idea what that could get so bear with me. Can't decide between new and second hand. I think I'd rather get new because I wouldn't know what to look for second hand.

Any help would be great. And be honest. She isn't pro so she doesn't need an expensive bike, but let me know if we would be better off with a higher budget.
Do you want to just get her a fixed gear and/or single speed, or a road bike? How tall is your wife? I can look at the used market in your area and make suggestions.
Old 07-13-15, 08:17 AM
Inpd

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seymour1910
Do you want to just get her a fixed gear and/or single speed, or a road bike? How tall is your wife? I can look at the used market in your area and make suggestions.
That a good list and I'll add: Dropbars or Flatbar? My SO couldn't handle dropbars at all so I went the flatbar route.

A benefit of the FlatBar route is that there are more offerings under $400.
Old 07-13-15, 08:59 AM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Inpd
That a good list and I'll add: Dropbars or Flatbar? My SO couldn't handle dropbars at all so I went the flatbar route.

A benefit of the FlatBar route is that there are more offerings under $400.
Well, he is correct. Flat bar components generally cost less so you can get a slightly better quality new bike in the flat bar/hybrid category than a drop bar road bike. I bought a cheap BD road bike for my wife to try to get her riding with me but her hands are so small that she could never get confident braking from hoods or drops with drop bar bike so I ended up having to convert the bike to flat bar. Should have bought flat bar bike to begin with as it would have saved money in the long run
Old 07-13-15, 10:23 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
This is all nice but what does your wife want? Let her figure that out and then make it happen.
Old 07-13-15, 10:33 AM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
This is all nice but what does your wife want? Let her figure that out and then make it happen.
Also this. that is if she knows what she wants. but if you buy her a bike she doesn't like, she won't be riding with you
Old 07-13-15, 11:17 AM
murrellington

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We live in San Diego. She is 5'2". She does not want drop bars so we'd go with a flat bar bike. She does not know what to get so she just told me to get her one. She would never want a single speed or fixed gear, so road bike would be our choice.
Old 07-13-15, 11:33 AM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Diamondback Clarity 1 Women's Flat Bar Road Bike - 2015

Fuji Silhouette 1.9 Disc Women's Flat Bar Road Bike - 2015
Old 07-13-15, 11:35 AM
Fldaves

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just bought my wife a Bianchi Milano Dama and she loves it. MSRP was $529 purchase price was $450
Old 07-13-15, 11:37 AM
seymour1910

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Good suggestions. The DB is sold out online but your local Performance may have it. The Fuju looks solid. Also

Fuji Absolute 3.0 LE Flat Bar Road Bike - 2015 Performance Exclusive

Fuji Absolute 3.0 LE Women's Flat Bar Road Bike - 2015 Performance Exclusive
Old 07-13-15, 12:26 PM
NukiWaza

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife just got the Clarity 1 and loves it. She is 5, 4 so not much taller than your wife.
Old 07-13-15, 12:34 PM
IcySmooth52

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd go with that Fuji Silhouette 1.9 Disc. Good all-rounder that covers many bases (your wife probably doesn't know what kind of riding she'll be doing if she's just starting!)
I also think it has a bit nicer of a build than the Diamondback.
Old 07-13-15, 04:42 PM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by murrellington
We live in San Diego. She is 5'2". She does not want drop bars so we'd go with a flat bar bike. She does not know what to get so she just told me to get her one. She would never want a single speed or fixed gear, so road bike would be our choice.
That's a bad idea. You need to take her with you and let her ride the bikes. See which one(s) she seems to either like or get excited about riding. Different bikes (and brands) fit different people differently. She needs to be involved in the buying decision. Now, you can do some legwork and shorten the list of bikes for her to try, but she needs to ride a few before you buy one.

GH
Old 07-13-15, 04:53 PM
RoadGuy

Bikes: 89 Schwinn 754, 90 Trek 1100, 93 Trek 2300, 94 Trek 1400 (under construction), 94 Trek 930, 97 Trek 1400

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Take your wife to the Performance store to try riding all of the recommended bikes. See which bike talks to her. If she doesn't like any of them, at least use the opportunity to figure out what size bike she needs. Hold off buying if none of them sings to her. The last thing you want to do is buy a bike that she won't ride. If you know what size she needs, you can shop on Craigslist. Lots of basically unused Hybrids that people bought and didn't ride for sale on there for between $100-$250.

If you get a chance, stop in at the Performance Store on a Tuesday between 12-2pm, and you get an extra 10% off. Then take your wife to lunch.
Old 07-13-15, 06:56 PM
murrellington

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys, yeah when she said she wants me to get her a bike, I kind of meant I would do all the research and then let her choose. Seems like I'll just be taking her to performance bike.

Also, is that 10% discount at every store?
Old 07-13-15, 07:03 PM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I'm not sure 10% discount happy hour counts toward bikes.
Old 07-13-15, 10:08 PM
GravelMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Bikes Direct has the Motobecane Gran Premio S for $449 delivered to your door. It comes boxed requiring some final assembly and adjustment but if you have been doing your own bike maintenance it should be no problem. I have the higher grade Gran Premio with the 105 drivetrain and find the bike very comfortable, reliable, and plenty agile for recreational/fitness riding. I've done lots of B group rides, organized centuries, and thousands of solo miles with no complaints. I've upgraded the wheelset and saddle. No problem with the original wheels, I still have them as spares. Same with the saddle, just a personal preference issue. The Gran Premio S is definitely entry level, but pretty good bang for the buck.

Save Up To 60% Off Magic Riding Steel Road Bikes | Commuting | Commuter Bikes | Motobecane Gran Premio SL

If you want to stay under $400, the Motobecane Mirage or Dawes Lightning DLX come in at $399.95 delivered and wouldn't be bad choices for a new, budget-minded, entry level road bike. As long as you are realistic in your expectations, you should be happy with any of the above. If you can afford another $300 - $400 you can take a significant step up in component quality.

Last edited by GravelMN; 07-13-15 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-13-15, 10:33 PM
CoachManny

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Secteur Sport and 2016 Specialized Pitch 650b

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would recommend a hybrid. Still offers speed and lightweight. A road bike may be uncomfortable.

Manny
Old 07-14-15, 12:10 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
You can usually find some used vintage 10-speeds and Mixte bikes, in varying conditions. Many are a bit heavy and more of cruisers than high speed road bikes.

Here is a Peugeot, a bit high on the budget. Others may be cheaper.
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/bik/5119232481.html

Zipbee bikes has several women's road bikes on Craigslist, mostly drop bar bikes. Varying prices.
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/sear...adies|ladys%29

This one is listed as a Specialized Hybrid in your price range. It might be worth considering.
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/bik/5120171115.html
Old 07-14-15, 12:02 PM
murrellington

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You guys have been more than helpful. I'll keep this thread open and refer to these resources. Thanks again, i have taken every response into consideration.