Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

How do you guys start on a fixie?

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 07-19-16, 06:07 AM
FatBottomedGirl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How do you guys start on a fixed gear bike? really how do you get it moving while getting on it??
When I do it, I feel like I must have the crank very high, almost vertical, so I have time to:
  • push on it
  • hop on the saddle
  • put my other foot on the other pedal in time to be there for the second stroke before the first gets to the low part and reminds me painfully it is a fixed gear...
Old 07-19-16, 06:36 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by FatBottomedGirl
How do you guys start on a fixed gear bike?
The same drill for any flavor of drivetrain:

From the NDS rotate Strong side (my right) pedal parallel to ground.
Straddle the bike and lock the front brake
Clip-in strong side foot
Look where you want the bike to go, not at the pedals
Release front brake, push down strong side pedal & lever onto saddle in one motion
Clip in weak side pedal as it comes around w/o looking
Proceed

-Bandera
Old 07-19-16, 07:30 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
  • put my other foot on the other pedal in time to be there for the second stroke before the first gets to the low part and reminds me painfully it is a fixed gear...
That's about right. Put your weight on the saddle right away.

Once your weight is on the saddle then you will have time to clip in.
Old 07-19-16, 07:59 AM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Put leg over top tube. Put foot in pedal. Lift rear wheel. Rotate crank to proper position. Pedal. Put other foot in pedal.

With SPD pedals, getting your foot clipped in is super easy no matter where you are in the rotation. Clips and straps get a bit trickier.

Old 07-19-16, 08:49 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
I do this sort of weird push off when I get started. Strong leg (right) is almost parallel to the ground already clipped in, and I sort of just stand up on it while pushing off with my left leg as I go. Ass on the saddle and by then my left leg is clipped in and I am going. Never ridden fixed with anything other than SPD's so I haven't had the experience with flipping the straps and dealing with that.
Old 07-19-16, 12:20 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
I'm generally out of the saddle for a few crank rotations while I get up to speed. Like a standing start, but without the benefit of someone holding my bike, so I need to attach my other foot to the pedal within that first rotation.

Once my fixed-gear got me into this habit, it became my process for the derailleur bikes, too.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-19-16, 02:42 PM
Scotti G

Bikes: DeRosa EL Fixed Gear '93, DeRosa EL Road '95, Ibis Bowtie MTB

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
Straddle the bike and lock the front brake
-Bandera
What brake?

But yes, it's the second time around for my right foot ... too often the third time around, especially late in my ride on my way home after I'm tired!

If it's not obvious, NEVER start on a serious up or downhill. But I guess the downhill would be OK IF I had a brake.
Old 07-19-16, 03:00 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
How do you guys start on a fixed gear bike? really how do you get it moving while getting on it??
When I do it, I feel like I must have the crank very high, almost vertical, so I have time to:
  • push on it
  • hop on the saddle
This, pretty much. I'll put one pedal in the 1 or 2 o'clock position, stand on it, and in one (hopefully smooth motion) sit down and put the other foot on the pedal coming up.
Old 07-19-16, 03:14 PM
Co1Ev

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like so, just a little less elegantly:

Old 07-19-16, 03:40 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by Co1Ev
Like so, just a little less elegantly:

CX mount is the only cool way to get on the bike.
Old 07-19-16, 04:12 PM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
Never really thought about it, but when I come to a stop light I straddle the top tube both feet on the ground. When I take off I first insert the foot that has the pedal forward or closest to the top and push off as I seat my self in the saddle and as the other pedal comes around I slip the other foot in and off I go full speed ahead.

Last edited by REDMASTA; 07-19-16 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-19-16, 04:27 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by REDMASTA
when I come to a stop light I straddle the top tube both feet on the ground.
If you never un-clip your strong side until you get to your destination, stop with one foot down at traffic controls you are instantly able to launch in the same well practiced routine when the light changes.

Not being caught flat footed in traffic (or when the gun goes off at a mass start) keeps traffic off your back with a strong in-charge start and a predictable solid stop/dis-mount.

If you look in the Masters Racing sub-forum @Hermes describes how practicing his start was key to winnng his District/Age class in 500M track event. A bad start on the track in a sure loss, a bad start in road traffic can be much more consequential.
Old 07-19-16, 04:35 PM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Bikes: FTP

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nobody is going with the one-foot track stand?
Old 07-19-16, 04:37 PM
seau grateau

If you never un-clip your strong side until you get to your destination, stop with one foot down at traffic controls you are instantly able to launch in the same well practiced routine when the light changes.
+1 to this, I never unclip my right foot unless I'm getting off the bike.
Old 07-19-16, 04:39 PM
andr0id

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
  • push on it
  • hop on the saddle
A) Don't ride a gear so huge you can't start with a little effort from a stop.
B) Start with left crank a little bit ahead of TDC, foot clipped into left pedal, right foot on ground. Butt on saddle or straddling, doesn't really matter, just sit as your starting left pedal stroke.
C) Push down on left pedal, as right pedal reaches top, clip in right foot. If you need a bit more momentum, catch the right foot on the next stroke.
D) Ride away

* swap left and right as you see fit. I keep my left foot clipped in because if my grounded foot ever slips, hopefully I'll fall out of traffic.
Old 07-19-16, 05:05 PM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts

Not being caught flat footed in traffic (or when the gun goes off at a mass start) keeps traffic off your back with a strong in-charge start and a predictable solid stop/dis-mount.

If you look in the Masters Racing sub-forum @Hermes describes how practicing his start was key to winnng his District/Age class in 500M track event. A bad start on the track in a sure loss, a bad start in road traffic can be much more consequential.
I don't ride clipless and I ride in the bike lane or shoulder so cars will always pass me anyway. I try my best to time lights, when I approach a red light I begin to slow down and try to time it so that it turns green before I stop moving. If I get stuck at a light that will take a long time to turn I will put both feet on the ground because it's more comfortable. When I see that it is coming time for the light to change I'll put my foot back in the pedal strap and get ready to take off.

My car is a stick and I hate traffic lights and do the exact same thing, I'll roll along at 10mph to avoid having to stop at the light. I also don't sit with the my foot on the clutch and the pedal in gear if I'm going to be there a while. I just watch the lights and I'm off the line before anyone else...
Old 07-19-16, 07:46 PM
Owlex

Bikes: Not As Many As I'd Like

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Am I weird for feeling much more comfortable clipping in left first? I'm right handed, right eyed, right footed. Have just always put in the non-drive-side foot first.
Old 07-19-16, 07:54 PM
street_sweeper

Bikes: ones with two wheels

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i clip in my right leg then push off and sit on the saddle and clip in the left as im going, if i have time to get my right leg parallel to the ground i will by lifting up the rear of the bike and spinning the wheel.
Old 07-19-16, 08:35 PM
Huffandstuff

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
CX mount is the only cool way to get on the bike.
Correct.

I cross mount getting on and if I'm at a light, it's usually right foot clipped in, sitting on top tube looking casually cool, then a pedal stroke to sit on the seat while clipping left foot in, this is all reversed if I stop with my left foot forward though.
Old 07-19-16, 08:51 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5756 Post(s)
Liked 2,524 Times in 1,395 Posts
I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT'S SO COMPLICATED ABOUT IT.

You start and ride it exactly the same as any other bike, except that you can't coast, though who coasts when starting anyway. BITD when we used to clips and straps there was the slight complication that you had to reach down to tighten the straps while pedaling.. These days clipless pedals eliminate even that small inconvenience.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-19-16, 09:25 PM
applesoggy

Bikes: Bianchi Pista Via Condotti, IRO Angus. Blue Turbo

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I still use clips and straps,and if you're using the right straps you don't have to reach down to adjust.
Old 07-19-16, 10:30 PM
seau grateau

Originally Posted by applesoggy
I still use clips and straps,and if you're using the right straps you don't have to reach down to adjust.
Back in the days when people used them as legit foot retention with slotted cleats, they did.
Old 07-19-16, 10:46 PM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Now I am all gonna be paying attention to how I start off at a light tomorrow. I would really like to learn the cross foot or whatever when I first get on the bike. Standing on the drive side, right foot in and you start rolling and then swing your left leg over all while getting onto the saddle. I have not tried this yet for fear of wrecking like a total noob.
Old 07-19-16, 11:20 PM
applesoggy

Bikes: Bianchi Pista Via Condotti, IRO Angus. Blue Turbo

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back in the days when people used them as legit foot retention with slotted cleats, they did.
Oh yeah that's right I had Diadora (or something like that too late to Google) in the 80s
Old 07-19-16, 11:44 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4782 Post(s)
Liked 3,900 Times in 2,537 Posts
Originally Posted by applesoggy
I still use slotted cleats and pull my straps tight. Accidentally un-clipping clipless pedals at 200 RPM scares the **** out of me. That is a very real injury that I'm not forgetting for weeks or months. (And that's before I hit the road.) Riding a pedal/cleat system where I can un-clip and have my foot completely free down a fast hill fixed is, for me, completely not fun. But good cleats (ie aluminum with slots in good shape) and good leather straps in good shape and having a good spin makes fast descents FUN! Un-clipping is still possible, but my foot is still on the pedal. Grab the brakes, bleed about 5 mph of speed and all is good.

If you ride a 42-17 and do a 40 mph descent, you're pedaling 200 RPM. That's not a un-achievable pipe dream. Cars have clocked me at that speed many times.

Oh, and to the OP's question: I make my fix gear pedals easy to pick up by adding a huge (and strong) steel tab bolted to the rear rattrap. (I make them from 1/2" x 1/8" flat bar. At any Home Depot.) and the tab I hit with my shoe is more than an inch long. I then add enough washers to the toeclip bolts that the pedals hang toeclip down, tab up to make flipping them back easy. I know it sounds like the weight would really hurt you going uphill. But if you do say a century with hills and you just once have to stop and start on a steep hill, you will realize that was weight very well spent!

Ben

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.