Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Can I rebuild my ACS Paws Freewheel ? How long does it last?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-21, 09:58 PM
5 mph

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 50 Posts

Is an ACS Paws Freewheel rebuildable?
Sorry to start a new thread, but I ride my fixed gear 5 out of 7 days a week. My ACS Paws Freewheel started to have engagement problems yesterday. I ride my Geared Bike today and didn't enjoy it. .
I'm looking at my ACS Paws Freewheel and I'm thinking, maybe it can't be opened and you are not supposed to repair it? It doesn't have those dimples or holes on the cover that you use a punch on to remove it.
Is the ACS Paws a non-rebuildable freewheel? I have used it maybe 1700 miles, I got it back in October.
What is the lifespan of these units?
Old 01-25-21, 01:50 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4352 Post(s)
Liked 3,990 Times in 2,663 Posts
You want rebuildable get a White Industries Freewheel (or Profile Racing), you want cheap replaceable units that can sometimes frequently need replacement ACS, Shimano, Dicta...
Old 01-25-21, 02:34 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
I'm confused. you said you ride your fixed gear bike 5–7 days a week and the geared bike occasionally. how often do you ride the bike with this freewheel?

if the freewheel can be taken apart, it might have dimples for a pin spanner on the back. so you have to remove it first. if not, I'd just flush it and toss it if it keeps skipping after that.

Last edited by mack_turtle; 01-25-21 at 02:52 PM.
Likes For mack_turtle:
Old 01-25-21, 05:45 PM
5 mph

Originally Posted by mack_turtle
I'm confused. you said you ride your fixed gear bike 5–7 days a week and the geared bike occasionally. how often do you ride the bike with this freewheel?

if the freewheel can be taken apart, it might have dimples for a pin spanner on the back. so you have to remove it first. if not, I'd just flush it and toss it if it keeps skipping after that.
I'm addicted to riding SS everyday. Some people love golf and others love nightlife, and SS is my folly.
Because I have only one brake, on days its really raining heavily (which it does out here this time of year in the Pacific Northwest) I ride my geared bike, which I don't enjoy..
Old 01-25-21, 06:35 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Originally Posted by 5 mph
I'm addicted to riding SS everyday.
the confusion comes in when you talk about riding fixed gear in one sentence and then talk about a freewheel immediately after. That's a contradiction. If you have a fixed cog on your wheel like a track bike, that's what is called fixed gear. It does not allow you to coast. If it has a freewheel, it's a singlespeed, the coasting kind. Just trying to clarify that so we're on the same page.
Likes For mack_turtle:
Old 01-25-21, 07:15 PM
5 mph

Okay I understand . Ironically fixed gear may be the way to go at least temporarily.. I can't seem to find a good freewheel without at least one week shipping.
Old 01-25-21, 07:25 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

So what drivetrains do you have?
  • fixed gear-not coasting
  • Single speed - coasting
  • Multi-geared (coasting of course)
  • and just so Oscar Nunez is satisfied, there's an obscure hub that is fixed gear/ not coasting and has three internal gears, but that's unlikely.
Old 01-25-21, 10:36 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

I'm addicted to riding SS everyday. Some people love golf and others love nightlife, and SS is my folly.
Because I have only one brake, on days its really raining heavily (which it does out here this time of year in the Pacific Northwest) I ride my geared bike, which I don't enjoy..
https://i.gifer.com/ltz.mp4
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-29-21, 01:42 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Is an ACS Paws Freewheel rebuildable? What is the lifespan of these units?
Not rebuildable. Lifespan depends on a lot of factors, but generally speaking, not very long.

I can't seem to find a good freewheel without at least one week shipping.
Shop at BMX outlets, pay for faster shipping.

https://www.danscomp.com/box-two-108...SABEgI8YfD_BwE
Old 01-30-21, 11:48 PM
5 mph

Originally Posted by mack_turtle
So what drivetrains do you have?
  • fixed gear-not coasting
  • Single speed - coasting
  • Multi-geared (coasting of course)
  • and just so Oscar Nunez is satisfied, there's an obscure hub that is fixed gear/ not coasting and has three internal gears, but that's unlikely.
Sorry Mack Turtle I didn't answer sooner.
I had some pressure from work to get some stuff done.
I have a flip flop with a 16T freewheel and a 14 T cog. I was going to just get a 16 T cog , which I could find at the LBS and ride her that way.
A new 16 T freewheel was only available mail order and would take a week to ship, and I wanted to keep riding my Pista. Stores dont stock Singlespeed freewheels.
Well, I got lucky. It ended up a 16 T 3/32" 1/2" Shimano freewheel was actually available there and I bought it.
It will last maybe 4 months , so I am buying a Box Two or a White.

Last edited by 5 mph; 01-30-21 at 11:55 PM.
Old 01-30-21, 11:50 PM
5 mph

Originally Posted by Rolla
Not rebuildable. Lifespan depends on a lot of factors, but generally speaking, not very long.

Shop at BMX outlets, pay for faster shipping.

https://www.danscomp.com/box-two-108...SABEgI8YfD_BwE
Yes that's the way I am going, thanks . Found a Shimano locally but it wont last long so I will get either Box Two or White.
Likes For 5 mph:
Old 02-10-21, 12:13 AM
5 mph

My new White Industries freewheel showed up in the mail. 40 miles on it already . The thing ticks like a Swiss Watch. It was worth it!
Of course I love it so much , I pour a quart of motor oil on it everytime I use it. LOL
Seriously. Do I have to do maintainance on it?
Likes For 5 mph:
Old 02-10-21, 12:35 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Do I have to do maintainance on it?
None. Mine have lasted literally years, needing nothing more than wiping the grime from the teeth. Congrats on your new FW -- you done good!
Likes For Rolla:
Old 02-10-21, 11:58 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

My new White Industries freewheel showed up in the mail. 40 miles on it already . The thing ticks like a Swiss Watch. It was worth it!
Of course I love it so much , I pour a quart of motor oil on it everytime I use it. LOL
Seriously. Do I have to do maintainance on it?
I haven't really done much to mine either aside from cleaning. If the bearings go bad they are replaceable and if you are riding through a lot of muck you may consider removing seals and cleaning and regreasing the bearings but honestly I probably wouldn't worry too much about it.
Old 02-10-21, 03:44 PM
5 mph

Thanks!
Likes For 5 mph: