Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

easy to put 11-36 cassette on this, trek 520 ?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-21, 05:25 PM
jpjuggler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi,
trek 2018 520 disc:
used bike Seller is saying the current cassette is 11-36 , but when I check 99 spokes
https://99spokes.com/bikes/trek/2018/520-disc
this website says the cassette is 11-32. So it maybe the seller is wrong, or they put on a different cassette. I really need the lowest gearing possible.

Question:
Would it be easy to put on a 11-36 cassette on this bike?
https://99spokes.com/bikes/trek/2018/520-disc This website says bike has a shimano deore/alivio groupset.

Any help would be most appreciated. (This bike would be slightly smaller than the surly disc trucker 64cm I have now, and I'm still not sure if 64cm is too big for me. add'l question: are one's arms supposed to be at 90 degrees from ones torso/shoulders? like 110/120 degrees is too stretched out?, or is that splitting hares.)

Any help would be most appreciated!!!!
JP
Old 02-24-21, 06:33 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by jpjuggler
Hi,
Any help would be most appreciated!!!!
1. did the seller put on a different cassette?

i dunno. why don't you ask the seller?

2. would it be easy to change the cassette?

i dunno. how are you with basic wrenching?

3. will this unspecified-sized bike fit better than the 64cm you own?

i dunno. go ride it and see.

4. is your 64cm too big for you?

i dunno. see #3 above.

5. should your arms be at 90 degrees, or 110/120 degrees?

i dunno. what's more comfortable for you?

6. is this splitting hares?

i dunno. why don't you ask PETA?

Last edited by saddlesores; 02-24-21 at 06:44 PM.
Likes For saddlesores:
Old 02-24-21, 07:45 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
1. did the seller put on a different cassette?

i dunno. why don't you ask the seller?

2. would it be easy to change the cassette?

i dunno. how are you with basic wrenching?

3. will this unspecified-sized bike fit better than the 64cm you own?

i dunno. go ride it and see.

4. is your 64cm too big for you?

i dunno. see #3 above.

5. should your arms be at 90 degrees, or 110/120 degrees?

i dunno. what's more comfortable for you?

6. is this splitting hares?

i dunno. why don't you ask PETA?
You win Touring this month.
Old 02-24-21, 09:15 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Yes its easy to put an 11-36 cassette onto the bike. The rear derailleur can handle a cassette that size.

Arm angle relative to torso is totally individual. There is no universal right or wrong for recreational riding and touring. Whatever is comfortable for the rider is whats right.
Old 02-25-21, 03:53 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3453 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
If you put a bigger cassette on than the bike currently has, you might need a longer chain than is currently on the bike.
Old 02-25-21, 05:21 AM
jpjuggler

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Yes its easy to put an 11-36 cassette onto the bike. The rear derailleur can handle a cassette that size.

Arm angle relative to torso is totally individual. There is no universal right or wrong for recreational riding and touring. Whatever is comfortable for the rider is whats right.
thanks!!!
Old 02-25-21, 05:26 AM
jpjuggler

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
If you put a bigger cassette on than the bike currently has, you might need a longer chain than is currently on the bike.
Thank You!
Old 02-25-21, 09:08 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
jug,
so it seems you are really in a quandary about if the LHT fits you properly and that whats this about.

just so its clear, you can drastically shorten the stem, the thing that holds the handlebars onto the bike, with no real downsides, and this will bring the bars closer to you.
On my Surly Troll, I set it up with dropbars, and from experience, ie from the measurements from my other bikes that I know work for me size wise, I put a short stem on (55mm maybe) and the thing steers perfectly well and stable.
I bring this up because you may read on the interwebness that short stems make a bike twitchy etc. The LHT is a known slow steering bike, so using that as a known factor, and my experience with my Troll (a faster steerring bike to begin with, its basically a sort of mountain bike) can show you that , yes its possible to put on a short stem on the LHT that can help you with the sizing.

but hey, what the hell do we know, you're the one with the bike.
ride it, heck, get on the bike and take a photo of yourself from the side and show us, put a bag over your head, whatever.
It'll still come down to you.

re gearing---you can easily, and I mean e-a-s-i-l-y , change the small chainring on the LHT from the 26 to a 24 or even 22, and BINGO, SHAZAM, you'll have lower gearing for going up hills, without even having to mess around with the rear cassette.
Us oldie time tourers have been doing this forever, it works and with the stock setup on the LHT, it will work fine.

I really hope you can figure out what bike works for you, we can give pointers, but we aint there, so we aint magicians.
Old 02-25-21, 03:41 PM
jpjuggler

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
jug,
so it seems you are really in a quandary about if the LHT fits you properly and that whats this about.

just so its clear, you can drastically shorten the stem, the thing that holds the handlebars onto the bike, with no real downsides, and this will bring the bars closer to you.
On my Surly Troll, I set it up with dropbars, and from experience, ie from the measurements from my other bikes that I know work for me size wise, I put a short stem on (55mm maybe) and the thing steers perfectly well and stable.
I bring this up because you may read on the interwebness that short stems make a bike twitchy etc. The LHT is a known slow steering bike, so using that as a known factor, and my experience with my Troll (a faster steerring bike to begin with, its basically a sort of mountain bike) can show you that , yes its possible to put on a short stem on the LHT that can help you with the sizing.

but hey, what the hell do we know, you're the one with the bike.
ride it, heck, get on the bike and take a photo of yourself from the side and show us, put a bag over your head, whatever.
It'll still come down to you.

re gearing---you can easily, and I mean e-a-s-i-l-y , change the small chainring on the LHT from the 26 to a 24 or even 22, and BINGO, SHAZAM, you'll have lower gearing for going up hills, without even having to mess around with the rear cassette.
Us oldie time tourers have been doing this forever, it works and with the stock setup on the LHT, it will work fine.

I really hope you can figure out what bike works for you, we can give pointers, but we aint there, so we aint magicians.
Thanks for the info! I didn't know it was so easy to change the small chain ring to 24 or even 22. Good info. Btw, I did indeed buy the 60cm trek 520. I think it fits better and I'll probably sell the LHT. I really appreciate all the advice!
Old 02-25-21, 03:51 PM
jpjuggler

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks again for all your help everybody!. I ended up buying the 60cm Trek 520. I'll part with the 64cm LHT. the Trek has the older rear cassette so I will swap from 11-32 to 11-36. The handlebars/Stem configuration was lower than I would have liked... it was below the seat level... so I bought a stem raiser. It makes it a big ugly in my opinion, but much more comfortable for me in the more upright position. It makes the handlebars even or slightly higher than my seat. I'm including pics below for what its worth. Just idle curiousity, but on your touring bikes how many of you like to have your handlebars higher than your seat in order to be more upright? I find there is less neck strain for me.

Old 02-25-21, 04:30 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3453 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
Thanks for the info! I didn't know it was so easy to change the small chain ring to 24 or even 22. Good info. Btw, I did indeed buy the 60cm trek 520. I think it fits better and I'll probably sell the LHT. I really appreciate all the advice!
It depends on the crankset. The older triples usually had a five arm 74mm bolt circle diameter for the smallest chainring, those are available in 24 but no smaller.
https://sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-bcd.html
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 02-25-21, 09:09 PM
djb

Ya, he will have to check the specifics of the trek crankset, I know the deore 48/36/26 one that was stock on trolls can be changed to a 22, but again, he'll have to confirm what's on this bike.

jp, your position looks very reasonable, but really, you're the final judge on what feels best for you, so I hope that living with this bike will show if any further changes need to be made.
Likes For djb:
Old 03-02-21, 06:37 AM
jpjuggler

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Ya, he will have to check the specifics of the trek crankset, I know the deore 48/36/26 one that was stock on trolls can be changed to a 22, but again, he'll have to confirm what's on this bike.

jp, your position looks very reasonable, but really, you're the final judge on what feels best for you, so I hope that living with this bike will show if any further changes need to be made.
Thanks for the feedback on the position. it feels better than the surly. I appreciate your help!
Old 03-02-21, 07:06 AM
djb

Thanks for the feedback on the position. it feels better than the surly. I appreciate your help!
no problem. Sometime last year maybe there was a thread where people put photos of themselves riding when the topic of riding position came up, but I have no recollection of what thread it was, it may have even been in another one that got off track.
No matter, if you feel better on this bike then thats all that matters, and with time you can always make small changes with other stem changes etc if you feel the need.
I hope you can tour on it at some point.
Likes For djb: