Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Half link or half link chain

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Half link or half link chain

Old 02-14-21, 06:14 AM
bykemike 

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 81 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on the 16T, I ran that with 1/8" for a couple of outings and put about 120 miles on it and noticed nothing about the way it ran or sounded but ended up swapping the gearing entirely to 48/17 anyway. I'll put the 16T aside for when I go with the 3/32 chain on another rig.

These freewheel are marked "Trials" which , I imagine, is why they seem so quiet.

This was a package deal from a guy with good taste in bike parts and was making some changes (I don't pry) but I got a box parts, some never opened and it was a deal for me. 2 new seats, Thompson seat post, 2 Thompson stems, a Miche crankset, 3 White freewheels, a chain ring, bunch of other things. $350.
I have noticed though that Singles Speeds and Fixies seem hard to sell and don't seem to have much value compared to the segments of biking I am most used to which is Carbon road bikes.
Old 02-14-21, 11:51 AM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by bykemike
Thanks for the heads up on the 16T, I ran that with 1/8" for a couple of outings and put about 120 miles on it and noticed nothing about the way it ran or sounded but ended up swapping the gearing entirely to 48/17 anyway. I'll put the 16T aside for when I go with the 3/32 chain on another rig.

These freewheel are marked "Trials" which , I imagine, is why they seem so quiet.

This was a package deal from a guy with good taste in bike parts and was making some changes (I don't pry) but I got a box parts, some never opened and it was a deal for me. 2 new seats, Thompson seat post, 2 Thompson stems, a Miche crankset, 3 White freewheels, a chain ring, bunch of other things. $350.
I have noticed though that Singles Speeds and Fixies seem hard to sell and don't seem to have much value compared to the segments of biking I am most used to which is Carbon road bikes.
that’s an awesome deal for $350. You got very lucky there

“trials” are actually louder bc there’s more point of engagement compared to their standard freewheel. Maybe he did something to make them quiet?

Likes For jay4usc:
Old 02-14-21, 12:17 PM
bykemike 

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 81 Posts
In all fairness I was comparing them to my 19.00 eBay freewheel, which was like being drafted by a cement truck!
Old 02-27-21, 10:38 PM
sdimattia

Bikes: Wabi Classic, Bombtrack Hook, Bombtrack Tension, Vitus Substance

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by bykemike
This is a Lightning, there must be some dimensional differences but I can't see there is all that much. The Lightning uses a Columbus triple butted tubing and has a carbon front fork, comes delivered a pound and some lighter but seems to have all the same rear triangle dimensions. At first I thought I could get 32's in this but now I am not so sure.

I had an ass kicker of a ride on this today so I am real pleased with it right now. I am looking for some stuff to drop some grams off this little porker though, that 18 lbs seems a bit high for such a simple bike
I ride a 42cm Wabi Classic; not quite the fancy tubing you have but setup as a SS with front brakes, clippless pedals, and a mostly stock build, it weighs about 17lbs. I don’t think you can get them under 15lbs unless you run it fixed with everything carbon, other than the frame . . . But, very nice build you have there. Congrats.