Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Almost bought it today

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Almost bought it today

Old 02-27-21, 09:47 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,429 Times in 2,826 Posts
Almost bought it today

Was transiting through our small town which has no traffic lights. In town I keep the speed down to about 15 MPH while the posted speed everywhere is 25. The four way residential streets are controlled by two and four way stop signs. Never had an issue with vehicles in the past since people keep their speeds down and are courteous. I had right of way, while the cross street had stop signs. Am just entering the intersection when I see on my left a Dodge pickup blowing the stop sign. I look over seeing him not stopping, but then coming to his senses and seeing me, slamming on the brakes. He just missed my rear tire as he stopped mid intersection. I gave him the evil eye and kept going. Whew. Another cat life gone.

Old 02-27-21, 09:54 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,499 Times in 3,011 Posts
Glad you didn’t get hit. Certain roads I use to ride I quit because of careless drivers. I stick to back paved and gravel county roads. I can hear the vehicles coming from way off. I use a red blinking light on the seat post. High vis clothing. I guess there is always a risk.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 02-28-21, 07:40 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 430 Posts
In addition to bicycling, I also used to ride motorcycles. The motorcycle taught me to ride like noone was going to stop at a stop sign. Saved my butt more times than I care to count. Glad you weren't hit!!
Old 02-28-21, 09:36 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
If you were going faster you would have been far clear of the intersection.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 02-28-21, 10:43 AM
rut3556

Bikes: 2021 Giant Escape 2 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
>>Certain roads I use to ride I quit because of careless drivers<<

I've taken it one step beyond, and pretty much only ride on paved rail trails. Oh well.....
Likes For rut3556:
Old 02-28-21, 10:47 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
From the title I thought I was going to come in here and see a picture of a pretty 12,000 USD or so bike you were needing encouragement to purchase.

Glad you are okay. I'm also glad, for whatever reason, I only have this issue when I'm in a motor vehicle and better protected.
Old 02-28-21, 11:20 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Iride01
From the title I thought I was going to come in here and see a picture of a pretty 12,000 USD or so bike you were needing encouragement to purchase.

Glad you are okay. I'm also glad, for whatever reason, I only have this issue when I'm in a motor vehicle and better protected.
Sorry that I was so vague. Should have been more explicit. The irony is that vague or mis-titled titled threads drive me nuts.

I also ride a couple of MUPs, wear bright clothing and have forward and back flashing lights, but when they aren’t looking, they aren’t looking.

Old 03-01-21, 12:02 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
This happens so often in my area I run video cameras front and rear on my bikes, and recently began running video on walks and runs after nearly being hit by drivers twice last week. After the second guy nearly hit me he then threw a can at me and started shadowing me for awhile, apparently trying to work up the nerve to confront me again for simply looking at him when he ran an intersection stop sign while I was in the crosswalk.

It won't stop them from driving like negligent imbeciles, but it should speed up the legal process. I was struck and injured during a bike ride almost three years ago and that case is still dragging out because it was the one time in almost five years I *didn't* run video. If I had it would have been resolved immediately because the driver was clearly at fault.
Old 03-01-21, 08:29 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 299 Posts
Everyone's fear when getting out on the road. I second all the comments above and try and think like a motorcyclist in that all drivers out there are idiots and it's up to me to keep safe. If there's anything i will miss from 2020 was when the pandemic first hit and we were all told to stay home and most people did but cycling was allowed around here. Never enjoyed riding the roads as much as I did then.

Now I think this was a previous thread from ages ago that someone posted about what vehicles seem to be the most scary for cyclists and for some reason, pick up trucks seem to be near the top of the list.
Old 03-01-21, 12:44 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
Glad you didn’t get hit. Certain roads I use to ride I quit because of careless drivers. I stick to back paved and gravel county roads. I can hear the vehicles coming from way off. I use a red blinking light on the seat post. High vis clothing. I guess there is always a risk.
Yep, for me the pavement is just a necessary evil for me to get to fireroads and singletrack. The road is never the destination - too freakin' dangerous here in SoCal.
Old 03-01-21, 01:11 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
In addition to bicycling, I also used to ride motorcycles. The motorcycle taught me to ride like noone was going to stop at a stop sign. Saved my butt more times than I care to count.
^ This.

A very useful defensive-driving tactic. Do the same thing, myself. If I can't see a nearby vehicle coming from a different direction (side street or oncoming turn lane) show clear indications of preparing to stop for the intersection, I'll generally wait until there is clear sign. As you say: has saved my butt more times than I can count.

A handful of years ago, I began an informal count of the number of times I saw someone blow a stop light or sign. Since beginning the count, I've seen somebody disregard traffic controls at intersections on every single day driving I've been out, with the exception of but a handful of times. Plenty good reason to be cautious, right there, when such a great number of people mindlessly sit behind the wheel doing whatever alternative task it is they're doing.

Last edited by Clyde1820; 03-03-21 at 03:32 PM. Reason: spelling, grammar
Old 03-01-21, 11:00 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by gthomson
...someone posted about what vehicles seem to be the most scary for cyclists and for some reason, pick up trucks seem to be near the top of the list.
Every single issue I have had with a vehicle, except one old beater car, was a pickup, and more specifically a Dodge pickup. On a car forum I belong to, Dodge pickup owners are reserved a special degree of ‘reverence’. But then when you buy from near the bottom of the Consumer Reports least dependable, what can I say.

Likes For rsbob: