Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

[Claris R2000] Is shifting to the big ring supposed to be this stiff?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-21, 10:35 PM
djdelarosa25

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Hi! My road bike has a Claris R2000, and I set up the front derailleur by following the Shimano Dealer's Manual in the steps detailed below:

1. Shift to smaller chainring.
2. Screw in barrel adjuster until it stops turning, then back off a few turns.
3. Unclamp cable bolt and derailleur bolt.
4. Make sure the derailleur cage is aligned properly (few mms above the larger chainring and parallel). Reclamp bolt.
5. Pull cable tightly, clamp and tighten bolt.
6. Shift to largest rear cog, adjust L-limit screw so inner cage has a gap of a mm to the chain.
7. Shift to larger chainring, then perform trim.
8. Use barrel adjuster to create 0.5 mm gap between chain and inner cage.
9. Shift back to larger chainring (no trim) and smallest rear cog.
10. Adjust H-limit screw so outer cage has a gap of a mm to the chain.

And that's it. However, I notice that it takes significant effort to shift into the big ring when out riding. I'm a pretty small guy (165 cm, 60 kg) and whenever I want to shift up, my whole arm position would change just to add some leverage. I also noticed the lever motion is not like a smooth shifting motion, rather I have to press hard on the lever until it snaps suddenly, then it shifts. Is this normal behavior?

P.S.: The bike is a month old and I've seen how the mechanics at our shop tune these things, they don't compensate for trim. While I personally don't use trim, I'm led to believe that proper cable tensioning is established in the trim position. Hence, why I do the adjustment myself.

Last edited by djdelarosa25; 03-05-21 at 10:40 PM.
Old 03-05-21, 11:18 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
"this stiff" ..

well, the devil is in the detail. It may not be claris or not claris, or your adjustment that is the issue. Its may be cable friction and/or the geometry of the cable pull. I have to different bikes, both with tiagra 4700. One is much stiffer than the other for no apparent reason. The stiff one have external cables under the bottom bracket and the other have the cables routed in thin tubes. The angle of the cable pull appear a bit different too. Seems to make a lot of difference.
Old 03-06-21, 09:24 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
I don't know how stiff "this stiff" is but I think there is good reason that Shimano abandoned the long arm design. It's supposed to, as you noted, start off hard and then snap into the shift. This prevents partial shifting. However, depending on the geometry of the cabling, the torque effectiveness of the cable might be lower on your bike than on others. So the initial cable tension might be just compressing the arm rather than actually moving it.

Maybe the cabling/anchor angle can be changed? Not sure. You can also increase the cable tension a bit.
Old 03-06-21, 09:46 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
I have a hunch you are pushing against your limiter. Try backing off of it. Obviously, don't back off of it so much you dump your chain.
Old 03-06-21, 10:17 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
I also have to think that you are simply bumping the limit. Whether it's the low limit on the rear or the high limit on the front, it can be one of two things.
  1. Your cable is to short in the hold fast. Your chain goes in that last gear but you find the cable tension gets greater before the shifter clicks. Simply turn any barrel or inline adjuster on that cable to lengthen it. (screw it in) Or reset the cable in the holdfast to give it a tad more length.
  2. Your limit is ever so slightly to far in. If your cable tension increases prior to the chain fully moving to the big cog when shifting the rear or to the big ring on the front, then you need to move the limit just enough to relax the tension and all the shift to complete both for the chain and the shifter.

Last edited by Iride01; 03-06-21 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-06-21, 12:12 PM
Jack Tone 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
If your cable goes through a plastic guide under the bottom bracket, make sure it's clean and put a drop of lube on it.
Old 03-07-21, 11:24 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Did you use the converter tool to gauge where to set the position of the converter switch?

https://si.shimano.com/api/publish/s...001-01-ENG.pdf

page 14.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-07-21, 12:39 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
I concur with Iride01
I had/have a fancy race bike & the shop that built it placed the cable on the wrong side of the adaptor at the fixing bolt. I had to try to shift so hard I feared breaking the shifter...then it would snap into place, shifting instantly.

The solution was to take the shift cable from the less vertical position where it pulled nearly straight in-line with the derailleur hinge points/pivots to a slightly more vertical configuration where the cable pulled more offset or across the hinge pivots.

You'll need to disconnect the cable & remove the fixing bolt to turn around the little plastic selecting block with the metal pin in it.

Edited.

Last edited by base2; 03-07-21 at 02:24 PM.
Old 03-07-21, 07:43 PM
djdelarosa25

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for all your replies.

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I have a hunch you are pushing against your limiter. Try backing off of it. Obviously, don't back off of it so much you dump your chain.
Unfortunately, I don't think this is the case. I have backed off the H-limit screw as far as it could go and the shifting performance is the same.

Originally Posted by Jack Tone
If your cable goes through a plastic guide under the bottom bracket, make sure it's clean and put a drop of lube on it.
I'll do that, thanks! Would chain lube be enough?

Originally Posted by Iride01
Did you use the converter tool to gauge where to set the position of the converter switch?

page 14.
My bike is a built bike so I think the manufacturer (Giant) has already set the optimal converter position.
Old 03-07-21, 08:15 PM
iterax

Bikes: CAAD8, Giant R1000 (steel)

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Also, lube the "hinges" of the FD. Don't know if this will help as yours is a new bike.
Old 03-08-21, 09:51 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by djdelarosa25
Originally Posted by Iride01

page 14.
My bike is a built bike so I think the manufacturer (Giant) has already set the optimal converter position.
Well in your OP you said you had to set up the DR. So I wouldn't assume anything about what the manufacturer might have done. Bikes get shipped to the bike shops and have to be assembled. To what degree I'm not really sure. But if you got a bike and had to assemble it yourself, I'd be looking for that tool to assess which way to flip the converter switch.

On some bikes it's a toss up which way it needs to go and possibly either is okay. On other bikes, they'll need the switch in a particular position. And mistakes happen even at the manufacturer or bike shop. So simply check it and find out.