Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cassette fitting to the right frame size?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-21, 11:11 AM
Seb1987

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

So I aquired a 2nd hand Scott AFD Sport 2004 and I'm going to change the wheels, tyres, brakes, and the groupset (I'm looking at the the Shimano Tiagra 4700 groupset). It was tough to find the bike's specs but I did and it says it used Shimano Sora groupset (9 speed cassette). The previous owner or even the one before him must have made some changes cause the bike has an 8 speed cassette. Me I'm looking to put a 10 speed cassette BUT will my frame accept a 10 speed cassette? (I looked online and didn't find much info on the subject even though it taught me to watch out for other stuff). I'm going for a 10 speed cassette cause the freehub from the wheels I want only accept 10 to 11 speed cassettes.

Last edited by Seb1987; 03-06-21 at 11:12 AM. Reason: I forgot to add more information
Old 03-06-21, 11:30 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
If the bike currently has an 8-speed cassette (and had a 9-speed in the past) then the rear dropout spacing is 130 mm and the frame will accept a road 10/11-speed freehub.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 03-06-21, 11:46 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Seb1987
I'm going for a 10 speed cassette cause the freehub from the wheels I want only accept 10 to 11 speed cassettes.
A wheel that will accept an 11 speed cassette will accept 7,8,9,and 10 speed cassettes as well. 8 and 9 speed cassettes will require a 1.85mm spacer behind the cassette, and a 10 speed Shimano cassette will require the 1.85mm spacer and an additional 1mm spacer that will be supplied with the cassette when you buy it. You could even install a 7 speed cassette with the appropriate spacers behind it