Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Problems with Wabi Cycles Sub 15 Wheelset in NYC

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-15, 03:06 PM
fubada

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

About a month ago I purchased a wabi special w/ the lighter Sub 15 wheels (Wabi Cycles fixed gear wheels) and use it as a commuter bike in NYC. So far I've had the front wheel trued twice and the rear 3 times. They arrived in bad shape - very out of true, and Richard@Wabi was kind enough to compensate me for the first truing (they did not destress the wheels). However I keep having issues and Im now considering rebuilding the wheels ($60/ea) or getting an entirely different set of wheels. I'm curious to know if anyone else is using these wheels in NYC and how are they holding up? The wabi wheels are highly rated on the forums but my LBS guys recommend purchasing a different set. Thank you.

Last edited by fubada; 09-19-15 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-19-15, 05:40 PM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Bikes: FTP

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The set that most forum members have are older and heavier than the ones you have. It is possible that wabi erred on the site of lightness with the updated version. How much do you weigh?
Old 09-19-15, 06:15 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Well, @franswa who weighs about 160 lbs reported breaking spokes on both the front and rear wheel on his, so maybe they are a bit fragile. I've had zero problems with my standard sets, which are plenty lightweight, so I have no plans to buy a set of Sub 15s.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 09-20-15, 04:43 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
My weight hovers around 165-170 lbs and I have put several thousand completely trouble-free miles on Wabi's lighter wheelset without being overly careful. They are still true too.

That being said...I (and I believe franswa as well) got mine last December when Richard was experimenting and actually building these by hand, himself.

Now he imports them pre-built, and told me that he de-stresses and retensions them as he fills orders, like he does with all his wheelsets. So what you have is actually somewhat different than mine and YMMV. It is strange that yours came to you untouched, but mistakes happen.

Let's face it - low spoke count, lightweight wheels (and light bikes) are not necessarily the best idea for heavy commuting, or if one is banging through NYC streets, potholes, etc. Maybe something more substantial would be better for you so check to see if you can return your problematic Sub 15s.

I do like my set very much - they ride fine and spin up to speed easy. Have even put off plans for an expensive custom wheel-build to stick with them for a while...
Old 09-20-15, 05:46 AM
jlafitte 
Pirate/Smuggler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by IAmSam
Let's face it - low spoke count, lightweight wheels (and light bikes) are not necessarily the best idea for heavy commuting, or if one is banging through NYC streets, potholes, etc.
Exactly. Seems pretty much counterintuitive.
Old 09-20-15, 10:07 PM
fubada

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prooftheory
The set that most forum members have are older and heavier than the ones you have. It is possible that wabi erred on the site of lightness with the updated version. How much do you weigh?
I'm usually around 215-220lbs plus my bag which is typically another 20 lbs.

If I go the new wheels route, would it make sense to reuse the hubs?

Thank you all.
Old 09-20-15, 11:08 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by fubada
I'm usually around 215-220lbs plus my bag which is typically another 20 lbs.

If I go the new wheels route, would it make sense to reuse the hubs?
Your total weight is probably too high for these wheels, and I'd go with a higher spoke count, at least 28 front and 32 rear. Using the old hubs makes no sense, since you'd still have a low spoke count, which is the main cause of the problem. The standard Wabi wheelset has 32 spokes front and rear. Also, avoid aluminum nipples, and get brass nipples instead. They are much more durable and the weight increase is very small.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me

Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 09-20-15 at 11:13 PM.
Old 09-20-15, 11:49 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
From the Wabi website

• Superlight at 1475g/set
• Silky smooth sealed bearing hubs
• Bolt on design is lighter and doesn't damage dropouts
True 410g rims- superlight and compliant for a great ride
14/17 double butted stainless spokes 20/24 (F/R)
Aluminum spoke nipples
• Hand built, finish trued and pre-stressed at Wabi Cycles
• Threading on both sides allows flip flop options (see specs below for more info)

I rode and raced in New England in the '70s. I rode ~400g sew-up rims w/ 36 4X 15-17 spokes and brass nipples. After a winter, they were trash and I rebuilt with new rims and spokes every spring. You are riding the same weight rims with similar stiffness and far fewer spokes. I highly doubt the streets you are riding are much better than the streets I rode. And you are using aluminum nipples. Brass nipples lace up better, are far stronger and allow tighter spokes. If you told a mechanic of my day what you are using he would predict exactly what you are seeing. Yes, you are riding much stronger rims, the new aluminum alloys see to that, but stronger does not mean stiffer so that isn't helping your spokes.

Oh, I weighed 150 pounds and was not hard on wheels. I suggest you ride rims closer to 500 grams with at least 32 spokes for commuting and save these for weekends and good roads.

Ben
Old 09-21-15, 10:52 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by fubada
I'm usually around 215-220lbs plus my bag which is typically another 20
+

Originally Posted by 79pmooney

True 410g rims- superlight and compliant for a great ride
14/17 double butted stainless spokes 20/24 (F/R)
= problems
Old 09-23-15, 12:49 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I'm not too happy with the set I got yesterday. There were several issues, none having to do with spoke count or broken spokes.

To be fair, my lower end Bianchi frame may be part of one of the issues. The bike has stamped dropouts and the wheels do not fit. The proprietary bolts/bezels don't close enough to be able to clamp each dropout. The video below is with the bolts tightened all the way on both sides.

Wabi stated that the wheels were designed for a bike with "more substantial dropouts, in the 8 - 10 mm range" and that he has never encountered this issue. Richard suggested that I use washers or file down the axles on the rear wheel - I'm really not into having to do either on a brand new set of wheels and they agreed to take the wheels back if that is what I wanted. Be forewarned if you have stamped dropouts - these wheels probably are not for you.

The website says they are supposed to come with a lockring but it wasn't included. One is being shipped.

I also wonder about quality control on the hubs. The cog/lockring threads look like they weren't deburred at all. I don't know what all the black fibers are about in the picture but you can see all the metal trash on the threads, really sloppy. Both sides are the same. I used some light machine oil and a scotchbrite pad to deburr it myself.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 09-23-15 at 01:20 PM.
Old 09-25-15, 12:55 PM
Onfixiate
ABQ

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Joytech hubs are not typically known for high quality...
Old 09-25-15, 02:49 PM
Dave1978

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got a State Undefeated and these wheels were recommended across the board for a good budget upgrade over the stocks. I weigh 154 and use my bike for exercise and joy riding on bike paths and stuff. I don't commute with it. I don't need the super light sub set, just the regular set is fine. The frame has stamped dropouts that are just over 6mm thick. Is this still a good option?

Last edited by Dave1978; 09-25-15 at 03:07 PM.
Old 09-25-15, 02:57 PM
Nagrom_
Fixie Infamous

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Yes.

OP is a Clydesdale commuting through NYC and is surprised his sub 1500g wheelset isn't holding up. Beats me.
Old 09-25-15, 03:35 PM
cDiff Notorious

Bikes: Wabi Classic, Schwinn Madison

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The old wheelset is good.
Likes For cDiff Notorious:
Old 09-25-15, 04:02 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
I believe the expression is, "Lightweight, durable, cheap -- pick two."
Old 09-30-15, 07:29 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I wanted to follow up on this thread... Not so unhappy any longer...

After about 150 miles of suburban Atlanta roads, the Sub 15 wheels are out of true just a little and they are going to the shop next week. Hopefully they will stay true after the initial break in. Time will tell. FTR, I weigh 185.

These made a huge difference on my bike - down from 21.6 Lbs to 19.8 Lbs - and I'm really happy with the way they ride. The biggest difference is climbing. Now I can get over some of the nasty hills here without running out of gas.

On a side note, I switched from 25mm tires to 23mm but could feel the deformation of the sidewall - a squishiness - right away. Definitely more rolling resistance with 23's. In spite of the wheels being only 18.2mm wide I switched back to 25mm tires after a few rides and can feel a positive difference in both speed and quality of the ride.

I've ditched the stubby 15mm combination wrench and now carry 2x 5mm hex wrenches in my saddle bag instead, one long and one short. Yes, the wheels do use 5mm bolts.

Originally Posted by Dave1978
The frame has stamped dropouts that are just over 6mm thick. Is this still a good option?
The wheels did not work with the stamped dropouts on my Bianchi Pista because they were too thin and so I used two washers, I think they were size M10. Tightening the bolts was a pain with the washers behind the bezels because the washers caused the fasteners to walk all over the place, sliding back and forth as they were tightened. It took multiple tries to get the wheel centered and the chain tension right - wasn't looking forward to dealing with this on the side of the road trying to repair a flat. It held, but I really didn't like it at all.

What worked really well are the stainless Dropout Protectors from Wabi. They were about $12 after shipping and arrived USPS in two days. If you have stamped dropouts and are concerned that they will not be thick enough for the fasteners to bite then you would do well to order these too. These make the installation nice and clean and I was able to get the wheel centered and chain tension correct on the first try.

Wabi Stainless steel rear axle washer

Before...

After...

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 09-30-15 at 07:55 PM.