Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Swaged Cranks

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Swaged Cranks

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-16, 11:12 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Swaged Cranks

Continuing from the Free Ross thread:

Swaged cranks are two-piece and they somehow hammer the crankarm into the spider.

The 600 Arabesque crank came in both swaged and single-cast versions... probably different model years.

Is this something more than just a really tight press fit? Do they sort of deform the back side like a pop-rivet? Am I missing something?

I had a swaged crank on a Peugeot that came apart - essentially the arm and the spider were two pieces again, and not connected. Probably that was just a cheap crank. But Sheldon's site says that swaged cranks are especially problematic on fixed gears and tandems - how come?
Old 06-02-16, 11:18 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Sheldon's site says that swaged cranks are especially problematic on fixed gears and tandems - how come?
Probably because both applications create torque on the chainring in both directions (fixies from backpedal force, tandems from the other rider trying to pedal at a different rate), essentially working the swaged joint back and forth until it breaks.
Old 06-02-16, 11:29 AM
nashvillebill

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Yep, swaging is essentially deforming the material, and thus making what's hoped to be a tight press fit (an interference fit). Some minor differences: in a thermal press fit, one piece is heated and/or the other piece cooled (by dry ice for example), they are then put together with relative ease (like a shaft sliding into a hole), then the materials return to room temperature so they contract/expand forming the interference fit. Makes a very stout union. Or the two pieces, both at the same temperature, are merely forced together, for example a shaft into a hole where the shaft is a few thousandths of an inch bigger than the hole, thus binding them--usually this won't be as tight as a thermal press fit. Swaging typically involves a loose or locational fit then one piece is expanded outward or contracted inward with a die to deform the piece and thus make an interference fit --great for hydraulic hoses, or low-force applications, lousy for torque IMHO.

I'm guessing they assemble the spider on the crank, then force a tapered square die into the tapered hole to force the inside out.
Old 06-02-16, 11:58 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by nashvillebill
I'm guessing they assemble the spider on the crank, then force a tapered square die into the tapered hole to force the inside out.
One would think that if the crank arm is properly snugged down that the taper on the spindle would tend to keep everything together. I guess not...
Old 06-02-16, 01:29 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Yep, swaging is essentially deforming the material,
Thanks - that would also explain the joint's strength variability between manufacturers using different swaging techniques.

I notice that on the bottom photo of the single speed crank, there's also some kind of key between the arm and the spider to keep things from slipping.

When I broke my crank I brought it in to the bike shop and the guy said "that's what happens to swaged cranks - they suck"... I guess he should've said "cheap" swaged cranks.
Old 06-02-16, 01:39 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
I've had the spider on a swaged crank come loose and spin on the arm when I was pedaling, but that crank was already damaged when I installed it and I was actually only testing for fit. The swaged crank I replaced that one with has performed admirably ever since. I wouldn't be afraid or embarrassed to have one on a bike.
Old 06-02-16, 02:37 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Or, different price points ..

Swaging is like a Rivet heading, its hammered together, expanding the metal out as it's forced inward.

Brompton finally stopped using a swaged chainring /crank arm , and ships now with a spider crank with a 130 bolt circle

Lower picture they punched out the same chainring for a one piece crank, thats the hole's purpose.

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-02-16 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-02-16, 02:41 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
One can hammer most swaged cranks apart with a ball-peen held on the backside with the chainring supported on a bench vice or other sturdy thing and then striking the ball-peen hammer with a 4lb sledge hammer... highly suggest wearing safety glasses when doing this! I scrap them at the co-op all the time and it seems most of the ones I've broken apart have a lip that is squished down to help hold the steel ring on the aluminum crankarm. When the notches get rounded down the chainring will slip on the crankarm, usually it's just the cheaper ones that do this.

The keyhole on that chainring in the first post is for the notch (apparently called "drive pine hole")on one piece cranks, they probably just use the same rings on both types of cranks to keep costs down.
Old 06-02-16, 03:50 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 2,176 Posts
One often sees swaged sets where the crank arm has shifted slightly in relation to the spider or outer chainwheel. The shift is always from pedaling loads so the arm has invariably moved clockwise in relation to the spider or outer chainwheel as the case may be.

This Raleigh Super Course Mk II was purchased by Oaddjob2 at the Ann Arbor swap meet of 2014 and exhibits this symptom on its Nervar Sport Cotterless chainset.

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/y55eytn4mar..._0669.jpg?dl=0
Old 06-02-16, 04:04 PM
artclone

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Suberbe, '92 (German) Centurion Equipe, '85 Schwinn Peloton, 1983ish Zunow Road Racer project, '69 Squanch Super Tourer, 1980 Bianchi Super Corsa, '82 Austro-Daimler Vent Noir, '89 Miyata 914 project, 1982ish Bianchi Rallye

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
I first learned this technique during a railroad discussion - - this is how train "tires" are put on the wheels. Interference fit has very high shear strength when done right.
Old 06-02-16, 04:14 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,464 Times in 1,433 Posts
@DiabloScott, either you're very strong, or you got unlucky. It does happen, but it's rare. But with that said, it's clear enough that forged cranks are better. I'm not even sure they're still making staged cranks. Maybe just on cheap bikes.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-02-16, 05:12 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Originally Posted by noglider
@DiabloScott, either you're very strong, or you got unlucky.
I remember it well - I was first in line at a left turn lane. When I got the green arrow I attempted my usual explosive acceleration so I could get through the intersection and into the bike lane without holding up the cars behind me. Instead, I got half a revolution of the crank and then suddenly both legs were at 6 o'clock and I had no propulsion. I had to dismount and walk through the intersection while the cars behind me laughed and sneered.

It was a Peugeot P8 like this one - clearly not up to my horsepower:

Old 06-02-16, 06:35 PM
nashvillebill

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by artclone
I first learned this technique during a railroad discussion - - this is how train "tires" are put on the wheels. Interference fit has very high shear strength when done right.
Yes, a well-done interference fit with steel or iron can be quite permanent (shrink fit with heat and/or dry ice). A poorly done interference fit...like swaging aluminum crank arms...may not last.
Old 06-03-16, 02:04 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Originally Posted by artclone
There are several different processes.

Many "light rail" pubic transportation cars have aluminum alloy wheels with steel wear rings. The steel rings are shrunk fit by heating them to expand while the aluminum wheels are chilled to shrink. When the rings cool down and the wheels warm up the, joint is somewhat permanent. Worn rings are machined off so that they can be replaced.

Railroad wheels are pressed onto the axles with 500 tons of force. The bore in the wheels is smaller than the diameter of the axles so there is an interference fit. Here's a video showing this being done on an automatic machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd9x_6jy__Q

@nashvillebill gives some good explanations about swagging versus interference fits.

verktyg

Chas.

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 06-03-16 at 02:08 AM.
Old 06-03-16, 07:24 AM
NJgreyhead

Bikes: Frequently

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 131 Posts
Good stuff, Chas and Nashvillebill. Thanks.

Surprised the Simmons company has that video on Youtube showing their machine operator wearing running shoes instead of something more industrial.
Old 06-03-16, 07:34 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
I have always associated swaged spiders with cheapness and unreliability. Swaging was very common on cottered steel cranks, which is what makes the original one-piece Agrati crank/spiders that Capo used a bit special.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bikes 024 (2).jpg (68.6 KB, 198 views)
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 02-21-21, 09:47 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts

I doubt it. That square needs to be *exactly* a certain size and taper (interchangeable parts and all).

And when you look closer at the swage it very much looks as though it's a cylindrical section of the crank that fits through a round hole in the ring and then is forced outwards and over the inner edge of the ring. This makes sense, of course; even if you could push the inside outward and maintain the tolerance of the square - you would not want to force the edge of the bore *outwards*, loading the metal in tension and pruducing cracks, you want instead to squeeze the ring between two faces, one the existing shoulder on the crank, the other the inner face of the swaged part. This loads the metal in compression, and you are likely to get much more surface contact as well; rings are not very thick (even cheap ones like this).
Old 02-21-21, 11:28 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
I'm still curious as to how two crankarms can end up at 6:00, was that a cottered crank?

clasher mentioned the "notches", which I took as referring to the splines on the arm and the spider.
That's right, swaged spiders are connected via a splined interface before getting swaged onto the arm.

Interesting to see that Super Course with the yielding Nervar spider!

I've seen cottered arms where a smooth fillet braze joined the arm to the spider and I had to look at the back side to tell that it was two pieces.

Here's a swaged crankset that I've come to like, it's forged and very light!

Old 02-21-21, 11:32 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
I'm still curious as to how two crankarms can end up at 6:00, was that a cottered crank?
I hadn't considered that, I had assumed cotterless which would only make sense with a snapped axle. A cotter falling out would do it.
Old 02-21-21, 12:43 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
I have a swaged Thun (German) Coronado crank, that I like aesthetically - especially for one of several black bikes.
After reading about them I never put it on a drop handlebar bike.
I now have a city build that it is planned, but it would look better on a black bike.
Oh well, I can live with little compromises to minimize spare parts.
Only photo of Thun.

Last edited by Wildwood; 02-22-21 at 01:03 AM.
Old 02-21-21, 11:04 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
These things are endemic on kids bikes
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 02-22-21, 12:46 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3884 Post(s)
Liked 6,478 Times in 3,205 Posts
The original owner of my Miyata mounted an SR Apex swaged crank. It's really light and I liked running a 50/39.

I guess it just wasn't good looking enough. I mounted a couple different Campy cranksets after that.

It's faster now with this 53/39. It's 3 faster.
​​​​​​​