Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Where to find vintage Motobecane rear cluster sprockets

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-16, 02:47 PM
mark_m
old guy with a new bike

Bikes: Motobecane Le Champion, Specialized something or other f.s. mountain bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a '74 Motobecane Le Champion which came to me with taller than stock gearing. Just wondered if anyone has any go-to sources for such parts?
thanks,
Mark M.
Old 06-29-16, 02:52 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 312 Posts
Why not use period correct freewheels? Easily found on eBay and this forum. Check the for sale section.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 06-29-16, 03:14 PM
Slash5

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Sunrace makes 5 and 6 speed freewheels that don't look bad and shift beautifully - modern tooth profiles. Very inexpensive too.
Bearings can be iffy - had one that growled badly when freewheeling.
Old 06-29-16, 03:42 PM
eschlwc
Banned.

Bikes: '73 falcon sr, '76 grand record, '84 davidson

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
what kind of freewheel is on the op's moto?

and what cog sizes is he seeking?
Old 06-29-16, 06:18 PM
mark_m
old guy with a new bike

Bikes: Motobecane Le Champion, Specialized something or other f.s. mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking for a stock set, the largest of which has 28 teeth. Current set lowest cog is 22. I don't know the other sizes or any specifics of thread types etc., new to this. Thanks.

Originally Posted by eschlwc
what kind of freewheel is on the op's moto?

and what cog sizes is he seeking?
Old 06-29-16, 06:38 PM
mark_m
old guy with a new bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I assumed they would not be so easy to find. Did not see any in the marketplace here and not overly sure of what I need to look for on eBay...

My front sprockets are Campy 42 and 53, I think probably stock but not sure. I think the rear cluster should be Atom 14-26 (not 28 as I said earlier) and I have 13-22. Not sure what's in between. Nor do I know how much difference between 22 and 26 but I would think I could use it on hills, being an old guy just getting back into bikes since being a teenager...

Also don't know if I can just maybe replace the 22 and the next one with a 26 and something in between 26 and whatever the third one is vs replacing all of them.

Originally Posted by CV-6
Why not use period correct freewheels? Easily found on eBay and this forum. Check the for sale section.
Old 06-29-16, 06:40 PM
mark_m
old guy with a new bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
p.s. pics of the bike here but no good ones of the rear cluster. Can shoot and post if it's helpful...
1974 Motobecane Le Champion
Old 06-29-16, 06:41 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Local Coop

Originally Posted by mark_m
I guess I assumed they would not be so easy to find. Did not see any in the marketplace here and not overly sure of what I need to look for on eBay...

My front sprockets are Campy 42 and 53, I think probably stock but not sure. I think the rear cluster should be Atom 14-26 (not 28 as I said earlier) and I have 13-22. Not sure what's in between. Nor do I know how much difference between 22 and 26 but I would think I could use it on hills, being an old guy just getting back into bikes since being a teenager...

Also don't know if I can just maybe replace the 22 and the next one with a 26 and something in between 26 and whatever the third one is vs replacing all of them.
Check your local bike coop in the used freewheel bin. Bring the old one with you. French threaded hub, right? I have two sources within 25 miles of my home near DC. Possibly the same near yours?
Old 06-29-16, 06:46 PM
mark_m
old guy with a new bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That sounds great. I'm in the greater SF bay area (Petaluma) so I'm sure there would be something like that. The two bike shops in town are more about contemporary bikes. But I remember there's a small bike coop in Berkeley so if I can get down there, and probably somewhere closer - thanks
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Check your local bike coop in the used freewheel bin. Bring the old one with you. French threaded hub, right? I have two sources within 25 miles of my home near DC. Possibly the same near yours?
Old 06-29-16, 07:39 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
I think I have an Atom 5 cog 14-26 in my man cave. Problem right now, I can't go there until morning. Mrs. Robin has two or three newly hatched chicks and I won't scare her away at night. Can Robins see in the dark? Never though about it until just now.

Anyway, will look tomorrow and get back to this thread, if I have what the OP seeks.
Old 06-30-16, 09:24 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I donated an Atom 14-28T 5-speed last year to our coop.
Old 06-30-16, 12:04 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Is it a Campy hub? My guess would not be French threaded, but I could be wrong. Maybe someone else with a LC of that era will chime in. Rootboy probably knows.
Old 06-30-16, 11:02 PM
mark_m
old guy with a new bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote
Is it a Campy hub? My guess would not be French threaded, but I could be wrong. Maybe someone else with a LC of that era will chime in. Rootboy probably knows.
Campy Record hubs.
Old 07-01-16, 04:53 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
Atom, Maillard, Regina, or Everest would all be period correct and appropriately European vintage if you desire to keep it mostly original.

Have you removed the current freewheel yet? If so the Atom freewheel should give away its threading, i.e. British or French.

Best of luck and happy riding!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 07-01-16, 05:23 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
I have a brand new Regina Oro 14-28, if you decide you want to go new, close to perios , and ...em...expensive.
Old 07-01-16, 07:48 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/562617-were-all-campagnolo-record-hubs-italian-threaded.html
Old 07-01-16, 09:36 AM
brianinc-ville

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Welcome aboard! This article should get you up to speed on the theading standards and terminology: Traditional Thread-on Freewheels

If the threads are French, get one of these on eBay (or local bike co-op).

If the threads are English, Sunrace 5-speed or 6-speed (which will probably, though not certainly, fit in your rear spacing, and will offer you slightly less jarring jumps between gears).

If they're Italian, you probably won't be able to tell the difference from English -- see Sheldon's note. Good luck!

If you're struggling to tell the difference, take the wheel to your local bike co-op and ask the grizzled old dude with the big beard and the sandals. He'll be sure to help. (But really: find yourself a standard English freewheel and, following Sheldon's cautionary notes, see if it fits).

It's totally worth it for you to buy the appropriate Park Tools freewheel removers (again, see Sheldon's article) -- they're cheap and last a lifetime. Though, actually, if you just walk in with the wheel in hand and ask, a bike shop will usually remove a freewheel for you, free of charge.
Old 07-02-16, 01:37 PM
mark_m
old guy with a new bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the information! I'm injured and can't ride right now so I might as well take the freewheel off, or have a shop do it for me, lacking any special tools. Will report my findings - thanks again everyone.
Old 07-02-16, 02:07 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
... Or you mean Helicomatic, the Malliard attempt at a Freehub?
Old 07-09-16, 06:56 PM
mark_m
old guy with a new bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, $15. & 20 seconds for the local shop to pull the freewheel... Anyway it's a Regina CX, 5-sprockets. The guy pulled out some Shimano freewheels and said they'd fit. But then he questioned whether such a thing as French threads exists. So...

I see no other markings and the hubs are Campy Record so maybe Italian threads? In my understanding stock was the Campy hubs with Atom 14-26 freewheel, but the chart above (thanks shows no Italian-threaded Atom freewheels. No reason to think my hubs are the original hubs really, would Campy Record hubs have been made with different threads?

I'd be happy to take randyjawa's or rootboy's offerings if I knew which would fit. From the sound of things maybe Italian? Is there a way to measure? Only about 8 turns on there to measure but I could put a slide caliper to it...
Old 07-09-16, 08:05 PM
mark_m
old guy with a new bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK so I see what I think is the groove in the flange on the back adjacent to the threads, indicating a newer freewheel with English threads? It's in the same piece of steel as the threads i.e. the inner flange rather than the outer.

And if that's the case I'm tempted to assume someone cross-threaded English onto Italian, does that sound probable? Which I would consider unfortunate...
Old 07-09-16, 08:13 PM
icepick_trotsky 
Aspiring curmudgeon

Bikes: Guerciotti, Serotta, Gaulzetti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
English and Italian threading on freewheel hubs is so close that it's interchangeable. It'll fit fine. My two cents, use the Shimano one. They shift like a dream, much better than the period correct ones.
Old 07-09-16, 10:57 PM
mark_m
old guy with a new bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you think they make a 5-speed cluster?
Originally Posted by icepick_trotsky
English and Italian threading on freewheel hubs is so close that it's interchangeable. It'll fit fine. My two cents, use the Shimano one. They shift like a dream, much better than the period correct ones.
Old 07-10-16, 06:49 AM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Every Campy Record hub I've seen specifies the threading on the threaded flange - see, for example Campagnolo Record Hub Low Flange Rear 28h French Thread 126mm Vintage Bike | eBay - if you magnify the first image, you can see 'FRANCE', and you can almost see some numbers. If you don't see 'FRANCE' on yours, you should see either '1.3470" x 24 TPI BSC' (British) or '35 x 24 tpi ...ITALY' (you guessed it - Italian). My bet is that yours is French and needs a French-threaded freewheel.

If you want a French hub or freewheel, you can probably get it from France way cheaper than the pb'bikes, the owner of which I hope has learned to digest metal....

I haven't seen Sunrace or Shimano freewheels from the US in French threading.
Old 07-10-16, 07:04 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Well...maybe. The earlier 70's Campagnolo Record hubs were not marked like that, to make it so easy.
Note the small flange hubs in the auction were later models, with the curved skewer handles.

If the bike is a '74, the hub may not be marked. But I'll wager it isn't French threaded. Could be. But I'll bet it's Italian. Especially if it had a Regina CX freewheel on it. Still, one must be careful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.