Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Full Fenders with Minimal Tire Clearance

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Full Fenders with Minimal Tire Clearance

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-21, 11:18 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by PeopleAreIdiots
[Update]

Been meaning to update this thread for anybody in the future who wants to do something similar. I ended up retrofitting some fenders onto the Wabi right as winter got underway. Its been serving me surprisingly well! Can't believe I didn't try it earlier.

​​​​​​I love the setup! Question? What's the chain setup for the saddle theft prevention? Anything to prevent scratching?
Old 02-11-21, 12:36 AM
PeopleAreIdiots

Bikes: Disc Brake Wabi Special, GT Pulse, Fuji Track Beater

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Senrab62
​​​​​​I love the setup! Question? What's the chain setup for the saddle theft prevention? Anything to prevent scratching?
Thanks!

Yeah that chain's my attempt at theft prevention. I actually care more about the seatpost than the saddle though haha. Wound up seatposts are really hard to come by so replacing that would be a nightmare!

You can't really see it in the picture but there's a piece of heatshrink around the bottom part of the chain where it goes under the seatstays to protect the frame. The chain is also fairly tight so scratching hasn't really been an issue.
Likes For PeopleAreIdiots:
Old 02-11-21, 01:16 AM
Mikefule

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 78 Posts
If you're riding in conditions that actually require tyres like that, then fenders (UK = "mudguards") are a Bad Thing. In fact, that small frame clearance is a Bad Thing. The tyre will pick up mud and wedge it in every gap. I've spent a lot of time on muddy tracks digging mud and grit out with a bit of stick when the wheel has jammed and stopped rolling at all. If I were to choose my fixed bike again, I would go for more clearance.

However, if sometimes you ride on the road in the rain, then fenders are a Good Thing. I use Race Blades. You need to choose the right size for the tyre section. They take a few minutes to adjust the first time but after that they pop on and off in seconds. Other brands are available. They are not "full" as they only go as far forward as the seat stays (rear) and back of the fork crown (front) but they make a big difference.
Old 02-13-21, 02:28 AM
PeopleAreIdiots

Bikes: Disc Brake Wabi Special, GT Pulse, Fuji Track Beater

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikefule
If you're riding in conditions that actually require tyres like that, then fenders (UK = "mudguards") are a Bad Thing.
I'm using these tires for winter as the steel studs are nice for added turning traction on icy roads and paths. I'm not doing much riding through actual deep snow, more like that dirty salty road slush, so I've actually not had any issues with clearance or buildup. But yeah this is definitely not the most ideal bike for fenders. Definitely took a bit of doing. Still, they keep the dirty salty gunk off the frame, drivetrain and my feet better than anything else.

As a side note, I do actually sometimes take this bike onto light trails and gravel but with different tires and no fenders. And not in winter.
Old 02-23-21, 12:07 AM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
Thanks!

Yeah that chain's my attempt at theft prevention. I actually care more about the seatpost than the saddle though haha. Wound up seatposts are really hard to come by so replacing that would be a nightmare!

You can't really see it in the picture but there's a piece of heatshrink around the bottom part of the chain where it goes under the seatstays to protect the frame. The chain is also fairly tight so scratching hasn't really been an issue.
I used to cut an old road tube and cover the chain with it. It worked really well.
Old 02-27-21, 10:29 PM
sdimattia

Bikes: Wabi Classic, Bombtrack Hook, Bombtrack Tension, Vitus Substance

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
I'm using these tires for winter as the steel studs are nice for added turning traction on icy roads and paths. I'm not doing much riding through actual deep snow, more like that dirty salty road slush, so I've actually not had any issues with clearance or buildup. But yeah this is definitely not the most ideal bike for fenders. Definitely took a bit of doing. Still, they keep the dirty salty gunk off the frame, drivetrain and my feet better than anything else.

As a side note, I do actually sometimes take this bike onto light trails and gravel but with different tires and no fenders. And not in winter.
I have a 42cm Wabi Classic, thing doesn’t even have fender mounts. I keep a SKS X-tra dry clip on over the rear year round and throw an Ass Savers Speed Mullet on the front for really wet days. The Wabi is my daily commuter but I’ve got a dedicated winter commuter for the snowy days.