Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Does a helmet mounted light cause problems? Recommended Light?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 10-10-20, 02:14 PM
hobkirk
Retired dabbler

Location: Acton, MA (20 miles west of Boston) - GORGEOUS cycling territory!

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple - 1st ride = century 9/19/2010 , Ultegra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I decided a helmet mounted light might be smart for me
  • a substitute for a flashing front PLUS a rear blinky - I find oncoming cyclists with flashing lights are MUCH more visible (at least twice) - ditto on red flashers, although the difference is not quite as much
  • and a helmet mount would probably be more visible - I am tall and rarely ride in the drops
  • I never ride more than 3 hours, so battery life should not be an issue
  • searched Amazon, checked reviews - two choices seemed OK
    • Greerride - $31
    • Topside - $39
    • I am a woodworker and workshop buy -
      • I can improve the mounting system
      • AND I could create a mounting system, so I could mount any small LED light
  • but hey, Bike Forums has always been an outstanding resource - I should see what brands they like
I searched BF - read many posts - and now I am have DIFFERENT QUESTIONS
  • Several responders said blinking lights were more dangerous - confusing and/or blinding and/or distracting to oncoming car drivers.
    • Are these realistic concerns or do they only apply to mega-power strobe lights?
Any comments or recommendations welcomed. THANKS
Old 10-10-20, 02:18 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
I don't wear a helmet mounted light, but if I were to supplement a bike-mounted light, I would probably do a blinky on the bike and solid on the helmet. The blinky will give you good visibility to others and the solid helmet mounted light would be nice for lighting up whatever you're looking at. I think that a blinky helmet light would drive me nuts.
Old 10-10-20, 02:33 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10145 Post(s)
Liked 5,836 Times in 3,142 Posts
I won’t put anything on my helmet for the road because I ride too much drop and I don’t like the idea of anything up there that might catch in a crash, but if I did it would be a 360° amber flasher.
Old 10-10-20, 02:37 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Every time I have tried a helmet mounted light I quickly change my mind. Turns out I am fairly sensitive to the weight added to my head. Sucks because I would love to have the light be directional. Many friedns do ride with helmet lights. I like to say I always know when one friend is really hurting because all of a sudden all the light will disappear. It happens when he looks down/drops his head. It's his tell and I don't even have to turn around to see it.

Old 10-10-20, 02:42 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Mountain bikers commonly use a flood on the bars and spot on the helmet. They are usually only self contained if they’re not too powerful, but many of them still have remote batteries. A blinky mode is irritating to me if it’s actually dark and I’m trying to see, but I’ll use it in the day.

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 10-10-20 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-10-20, 02:46 PM
jcro001

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use a flashing light on my helmet. I find it safer as I can look at cars and the flashing gives me confidence that the driver has seen the light. The light I use is very small and therefore I am not able to feel the weight on the helmet.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 10-10-20, 03:00 PM
ryan_rides

Bikes: 2018 Aventon Cordoba 2021 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 23 Posts
I rode with a light on my helmet for over a year and I really liked it because I could point my light in whatever direction.
Old 10-10-20, 03:08 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by jcro001
I use a flashing light on my helmet. I find it safer as I can look at cars and the flashing gives me confidence that the driver has seen the light. The light I use is very small and therefore I am not able to feel the weight on the helmet.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
If the goal is simply to put a light on your helmet, almost anything will do (if battery life isnt an issue). I use a seatpost mounted taillight on my helmet during the day (it has a rubber mounting strap) and for longer night rides, I use a light and motion headlight / taillight combo on a separate helmet for longer rides. The weight is noticable, but not a big deal really.

Dave
Old 10-10-20, 03:51 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 3,300 Posts
Probably depends on where you are riding. If I was in a car and saw your white light going crazy because you were looking behind you or blowing snot rockets, then I'm sure it might cause some confusion about what your intentions were until I figured out that you simply had a light shining aimlessly...... from my viewpoint, in every direction.

As a motorist and cyclist, I expect other vehicles to be traveling in the direction their white lights are pointed.
Old 10-10-20, 03:58 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I won’t put anything on my helmet for the road because I ride too much drop and I don’t like the idea of anything up there that might catch in a crash, but if I did it would be a 360° amber flasher.
Had a small light when I crashed

Old 10-10-20, 04:43 PM
ryan_rides

Bikes: 2018 Aventon Cordoba 2021 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by ryan_rides
I rode with a light on my helmet for over a year and I really liked it because I could point my light in whatever direction.

I have a newer helmet now and the light I use(specialized lights) is not able to mount to the helmet like before so I just have it on my bars now.
Old 10-10-20, 05:11 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
I ride both in the dark and during the day. I always have a light on my handlebars. During the day it flashes and in the dark it is my spotlight. I have a Cateye, but I'm considering replacing it with the same light I put on my helmet. When I ride in the dark or during the rain, I place a Bontrager Ion Pro RT 1300 lumen on my head. I love this light! I use it on my handlebars sometimes as my flasher during the day or steady lit on my bars if I go out right before dawn. This morning, I went out at 3 AM, so I was going to ride in the dark for 3.5 hours. I had the Cateye on my bars and the Bontrager light steady on on my helmet. I NEVER have it flashing on my head. If I want to get the attention of a driver, I will shake my head left and right while pointing at the driver to get their attention. It works every time. A flashing light on my head or bars at night would drive me nuts.

The Bontrager Ion Pro RT 1300 has multiple settings: 3 for steady (I always use the lowest setting even in pitch black roads because it's so bright) and a couple o flash settings. It comes with a bars mount and a helmet magnet mount for a Bontrager helmet. I'm always paranoid about things falling or loosing them, but this doesn't move unless you take it off. It's a bit expensive, but I figure I'm worth the $100 or so.
Old 10-10-20, 05:42 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
I have the Light and Motion VIS 360. Yes, it makes the helmet heavier and you notice it. Over time I just got use to it. I like that it shines where I point my head. The rear is a flasher. I never used the light as a sole source. I still like having a front light attached to the bike and I have two flashing rear lights. Battery life is pretty good, no complaints there.
Old 10-10-20, 06:40 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I have a L&M light with remote battery pack that stays mounted to it's own helmet.

Got it originally for mtn bike night riding, but use it mostly for urban night riding in addition to bar mounted light.

The weight is not much as the battery goes in a pocket or backpack, which is a minor hassle with the cable.

The main advantage is to be able to flash drivers that may not see you, before they pull out from the side, and to to generally be seen better among all the lights, but also it's a built in back up if the bar mounted light dies. When gyms were a thing, I would often use both outbound during commute hours, but just the bar light on the return trip later with less traffic.

Flashing front lights suck- don't do it.

Edit: I have one of those cheap-o lights from Amazon, & have had good results, but mainly carry it as a spare as it is light weight.

Last edited by woodcraft; 10-10-20 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-11-20, 01:34 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Blackburn 2'Fer or similarly small, lightweight blinkies, front and rear. They weigh almost nothing and are adequately bright as to-be-seen lights. Sure seems to get the attention of drivers who were about to pull into my path, then braked hard. My cycling friends say those lights are reminiscent of emergency vehicle lights. I don't light them during group rides because they're annoying. But they do get attention without much weight.

I've also used a light about the size and weight of a Bic lighter with a 300 lumen blinker and steady high and low modes. It's no longer available but similar inexpensive lightweight lights are available as to-be-seen lights for helmets.

I don't like much weight on my head either (broken neck 20 years ago, still have pain from the deformed C1-C2). But occasionally I mount a video camera on my helmet, if I'm on a bike without front and rear mounts for my cameras. I've done a lot of physical therapy at home to strengthen the neck and it doesn't bother me as much now for rides of 20-40 miles. I wouldn't want one on my helmet for longer rides. Ideally I'd prefer mounts for each bike to save time, but while I like the Drift Ghost X cameras the bicycle mounts are often in short supply. I might improvise and find another brand mount for the standard tripod socket.
Old 10-11-20, 03:56 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
For just a be seen light a lower powered petzl or black diamond headlamp is the way to go. AAA powered means you won't throw it in the bin in 2 years when the batteries won't charge anymore. Zip tie to helmet.

I don't like the strobe modes on the super bright bike lights.
Old 10-11-20, 08:50 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I use a standard flash light (usually on strobe mode) mounted to my helmet with a nice little helmet mount called two fish lock block. (if you google it, it comes right up).
For anything but pure night riding, like dusk and dawn when I usually ride, I find that strobe is much more of an attention getter.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 10-11-20, 09:56 AM
sjh953

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
All of my riding is early morning, usually about 20 miles, and I'm home by 5:30. This means that for 90% of the year, I'm riding in pitch blackness. I pay a lot of attention to my lighting.

I've attached photos of the light mounted to my helmet. It's bright, and cheap (4 lights for $8). Has a flashing mode, which is what I use. The loops are trimmed off with scissors, and the light mounted using zip ties. It weighs practically nothing.

My reason for adding this light is that parts of my typical routes are through residential areas, which means lots of cars, SUV's, and trucks parked along the streets. After a few close calls, I realized that as I rode along these streets, my bike headlight was low enough that the parked cars blocked any cars wanting to enter "my" street from quickly seeing me. They'd do a quick stop at their stop sign, then pull in front of me. By adding the helmet light, I have a bright, flashing light above the roof line of most cars, which gives me a better chance of being seen. So far, so good.

Here's a link to the lights on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bike-Tail-L...K/174370346807

I like these lights because:

** Can be seen from front, rear, and from sides.
** Bright. If you decide to go with these, make sure you get white light color. I have some red versions of these same lights, and they are much dimmer than the white.
** Come with CR2032 batteries. I have some other lights with same basic design, but which use some sort of "hearing aid" type battery. The 2032's are common, and cheap.

In addition to the helmet light, I also use two headlights: a weaker one in flashing mode, and the brighter in constant "On". The flashing light is meant to make it easier to be seen; the constant on light is to illuminate the road. I've tried using a single light in flashing mode, but didn't like the strobe effect.
Old 10-11-20, 10:00 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10145 Post(s)
Liked 5,836 Times in 3,142 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
AAA powered means you won't throw it in the bin in 2 years when the batteries won't charge anymore.
NiteRider will do a full overhaul for 25 bucks, including return shipping. I assume other high-end makers will do the same and generic battery stores will do it too. My Norelco shaver is on its 3rd battery.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 10-11-20, 03:05 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,470 Times in 4,179 Posts
Cyclists with lights on their helmet who ride busy MUP/trails at night are da debil!
Its blinding to cyclists coming the other direction. Its like driving around with high beams on.

Whatever you buy, point it down.
Old 10-12-20, 01:36 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Cyclists with lights on their helmet who ride busy MUP/trails at night are da debil!
Its blinding to cyclists coming the other direction. Its like driving around with high beams on.

Whatever you buy, point it down.
Can't stand it when other riders coming the other way complain. 1. It is pointed down. 2. Don't stare at it.

Old 10-12-20, 01:45 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Strong helmet mounted lights or head lamps are very annoying if there is moisture in the air. They make a "cone of light" right in front of your eyes that obscures your vision. For that reason I much prefer handlebar mount.
Old 10-12-20, 01:59 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
I have a rear light that uses a velcro strap, intended to go around a frame tube, but I was able to run the strap through my helmet vents to mount it on the helmet. Works pretty well, but only a single LED and battery life is limited. I was able to source some LR2032 rechargeable coin batteries for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
helmet-light.jpg (41.5 KB, 60 views)
Old 10-12-20, 01:59 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,470 Times in 4,179 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Can't stand it when other riders coming the other way complain. 1. It is pointed down. 2. Don't stare at it.
Well yeah, if its pointed down, then cool. It its pointed out, thats lame.
Dont be lame.
Old 10-12-20, 02:02 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Every time I have tried a helmet mounted light I quickly change my mind. Turns out I am fairly sensitive to the weight added to my head. Sucks because I would love to have the light be directional. Many friedns do ride with helmet lights. I like to say I always know when one friend is really hurting because all of a sudden all the light will disappear. It happens when he looks down/drops his head. It's his tell and I don't even have to turn around to see it.
Same here. I can and do wear a really small blinky on the back of my helmet (Knog Blinder mini). The rubber strap fits though my helmet vents and requires no additional mounts. No desire for a blinky on the front of the helmet and no way I can do the weight of any light that would qualify as a light bright enough to ride at night. I do see the need for a head mount light and being able to turn your head and see where you are about to go but the added helmet weight is too big a negative for me, I'll just slow down on the tighter corners. My night rides are mostly rural and effectively zero light. Unless the moon is out, I wouldn't see my own handlebars with no lights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.