Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

problem with wheel/ replacing tube

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-20, 08:47 AM
kap 7

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Hardrock XC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

I had a tube give out and completely go flat on me ... upon taking it out and inspecting it found that the valve was sliced open from rubbing on the rim. The rubber strip (sorry i don't know the tech term) that runs around the wheel is somehow shifted over from the hole the valve goes through the wheel. I tried to move the strip but it doesn't move - I then tried cutting the rubber a bit to make clearance for the valve to go through but i seemed to be getting nowhere and probably doing more damage than good. I was hoping someone here could give advice on this because I"ve never seen this before and I'm baffled what caused it or how to properly fix it.

valve hole is to right side of opening, half blocked by rubber
Old 12-13-20, 09:25 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
It's called a rim strip and those rubber ones are notorious for moving and allowing the sharp edges of the valve hole or spoke holes to rub on the tube. Replace it with a Velox adhesive cloth rim strip and you problems should be over. An addition protection for the base of the valve is to punch a small hole in the center of a tube patch and push it down over the valve stem. It will give and extra layer to keep the edges of the rim from the tube rubber.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 12-13-20, 09:33 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Is it really a cut, or has the valve stem broken loose from the tube?
IME, the latter is more common, particularly for people who don’t check tire pressure regularly.
Old 12-13-20, 10:22 AM
kap 7

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
Is it really a cut, or has the valve stem broken loose from the tube?
IME, the latter is more common, particularly for people who don’t check tire pressure regularly.
It's a cut ...a slit at the base of the of the stem. The stem is still intact with the tube.
Old 12-13-20, 10:46 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by kap 7
It's a cut ...a slit at the base of the of the stem. The stem is still intact with the tube.
Right, your stem broke loose from the tube. Like dabac said.
It doesn't have to come off. It's because the tube was under inflated and precessed with the tire, tearing the stem from the tube.
Old 12-13-20, 11:11 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
I see a lot of people's bikes that have the valve stem at an angle coming out of the rim. They should come out of the rim and point straight toward the center of the hub. This wasn't yours was it? That is a good indicator of riding with too low a pressure in the tires and the tube and maybe even that rubber rim strip "walking" or "creeping" inside the tire.

Your rubber rim strip is probably just stuck from doing what rubber does when clean and new, it tends to stick. With a little encouragement you might pull it free and get it to line up better. Rim tape will be a much better solution though. Although when done improperly it has it's own set of issues that will also let you flat.
Old 12-13-20, 12:46 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I'd replace that rubber rim tape with a better one such as the Velox brand mentioned upthread. Or you can use one of the plastic rim tapes. Be aware that rim tapes come in different sizes and make sure you get the right size one for your rim.

A BIG advantage to using Velox or any light colour rim tape is that after you get the tire and tube mounted but BEFORE you pump it up fully, you can squeeze the sidewalls of the tire towards each other and look to see if the tire is sitting on the tube anywhere. Doing that can save you from a blowout.

Cheers
Old 12-13-20, 09:04 PM
kap 7

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I see a lot of people's bikes that have the valve stem at an angle coming out of the rim. They should come out of the rim and point straight toward the center of the hub. This wasn't yours was it? That is a good indicator of riding with too low a pressure in the tires and the tube and maybe even that rubber rim strip "walking" or "creeping" inside the tire.

Your rubber rim strip is probably just stuck from doing what rubber does when clean and new, it tends to stick. With a little encouragement you might pull it free and get it to line up better. Rim tape will be a much better solution though. Although when done improperly it has it's own set of issues that will also let you flat.
There were a lot of helpful tips given here but for some reason your wording of "a little encouragement" helped! I couldn't move the rubber with my hand but after reading your post decided to find a good screwdriver and pry it up and sure enough it slid around. I was able to get the new tube in so hopefully I'm good to go. As for the valve alignment I made sure it was perfectly straight and not going into outerspace

I will be honest and say I'm very lazy about keeping up on my tire pressure so that was probably the cause :\

On a side note the new tube is sunlight (?) not familiar with the brand

Last edited by kap 7; 12-13-20 at 09:15 PM.