Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Question on upgrading to 700c tires

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-21, 09:39 AM
Scubaquarius

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts

Giant is sold out of their Cypress bike for approximately 6 months. So I bought the next best thing a "Liv Sedona", actually very close in
many ways to the Cypress. Only thing is I would really like to have the 700c tires on the Liv (which it does not have).

Does anyone know if the 700c tires would fit on the Liv Sedona or how I can find out?

Thanks so much,
Scubaquarius
Old 02-02-21, 09:51 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Doing a quick look at spec's of the two Liv Sedona's, noticed they use 26" wheels/tires. I'm highly doubtful you can upgrade to 700c. Maybe 650b? Would suggest checking with your LBS. But these bikes seem very much designed for the 26" wheels for comfort.
Old 02-02-21, 09:54 AM
Scubaquarius

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by travbikeman
Doing a quick look at spec's of the two Liv Sedona's, noticed they use 26" wheels/tires. I'm highly doubtful you can upgrade to 700c. Maybe 650b? Would suggest checking with your LBS. But these bikes seem very much designed for the 26" wheels for comfort.
Thanks so much travbikeman,

Scubaquarius
Old 02-02-21, 02:42 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Additionally, if it's a rim brake-equipped Sedona, it's more difficult to change wheel sizes, even if the frame could handle it. There are some adapters available that relocate your brake arms, but you may or may not get those to work correctly on your frame.

If it's a disc brake-equipped Sedona (the DX model), wheel size changes are a little easier. It'll still be expensive, but disc brake 700c wheels would interface with the brakes the same as disc brake 26" wheels.

The stock tires are 26x2.3", which are about 676mm tall. A 700c tire that has the same overall diameter would be a 700x28mm (or 28-622 if using the more precise ISO nomenclature). How much extra radius do you think you could fit in the frame? Could your tire really be 1/2" taller than it currently is? If so, you might be able to fit a 700x40mm tire in it.
Old 02-02-21, 02:43 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Originally Posted by Scubaquarius
Giant is sold out of their Cypress bike for approximately 6 months. So I bought the next best thing a "Liv Sedona", actually very close in
many ways to the Cypress. Only thing is I would really like to have the 700c tires on the Liv (which it does not have).

Does anyone know if the 700c tires would fit on the Liv Sedona or how I can find out?

Thanks so much,
Scubaquarius
Why do you want to switch tire sizes?
Old 02-02-21, 06:41 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Nothing wrong with 26" tires. My mtn.bike that I'm still using has 26" tires, and it's a 98 (frame-replaced a '96 frame under warranty). You can put tires with smoother tread, all the way up to knobbie tires, for whatever riding you intend. Doubt, if you didn't know which was which, that if you rode a bike with 700c, and a bike with 26" tires, that you'd notice much, if any difference. Maybe someone with many years spent riding lots of miles on lots of bikes might notice, but don't think that's the case here. Don't worry about what you DIDN'T get! Go ride it and have some fun!!