Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone lifting iron?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Anyone lifting iron?

Old 02-08-21, 01:03 PM
biketom5
Roadie

Bikes: 1996 Basso Gap, 2011 Ritchey BreakAway (steel), 2011 Trek 6.2 Project One, 1990 Paramount PDG (using with my indoor trainer)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Absolutely!

I am 66 and retired 2 years ago (Jan. 4,2019). I used to lift at a fitness center that was provided free by the company I worked for. The fitness center was in the same building...very convenient.
Since retiring, I have set up an area in my basement that includes a half rack with an Olympic bar w/300lbs. of plates, a curl bar (w/separate plates), Bowflex adjustable dumbbells (these are great) and an adjustable bench.
I would post some pics, but I haven稚 met the minimum 10 posts as yet.
Old 02-09-21, 11:48 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4388 Post(s)
Liked 4,499 Times in 3,011 Posts
Finding recovery an issue so I’m going to try the push, pull, legs split. Full body too much in one session. In my younger days no problem and I’m not trying to be Hercules , build and retain lean body tissue and burn off some fat.
Old 02-09-21, 12:06 PM
billmckay

Bikes: Specialized Allez Pro(2003); 1994 Cannondale R 800

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I am 78 and just before covid arrived I tore a tendon in my left shoulder lifting. Wasn't even using a whole lot of weight. The arm doc said it happens all the time. More light work was recommended. Since then I bought a good set of bands and do a routine pretty similar to what I did at the gym, but no weights. I save a gym membership and can listen to NPR while I am working out.
No waiting for the machine to free up.
Old 02-09-21, 12:49 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

The older I get the more NPR becomes interesting I like their to the point approach with no drama.
Old 02-09-21, 02:21 PM
rlmalisz

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 35 Posts
The author of "Younger Next Year" put it pretty well: aerobics keep you alive, weight-lifting keeps life worth living. He and the doctor who co-authored the book go into some length about how weight work not only improves muscle, but also bone, tendons/ligaments (which tend to crap out with age), nerve function, balance. He doesn't advocate hurting yourself, but does think that challenging the body with some weight work helps keep it tuned up.

And he had a real-life experience a while back: https://www.youngernextyear.com/cras...t-year-heaven/

Up and walking two days later, back in the saddle two weeks later. Sign me up!

--Richard
Likes For rlmalisz:
Old 02-09-21, 07:46 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

I love bike riding so cardio is covered as those endorphins get released. I give myself the flexibility of 3-5 sets of 10-12 reps with enough weight to feel challenged. Last few weight sessions have been 4 sets and that is doing it for me. I’m afraid to find my max on the main lifts because something might break A few years back I did Wendlers 531 workout plan with success.
Old 02-09-21, 11:05 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Although I lifted in Army gyms and did Olympic weight work when I was young, I quit for a long time and didn't get a gym membership until 1979. I started riding again in '95, which changed my interest in lifting - I wanted to get faster on the bike. So I bought Friel's Cyclist's Training Bible and had at it. What worked for me starting back at it from a different perspective, was 3 sets of 30, circuit style, 7 lifts, all sets same weight. Didn't take me long to get the weights set so that I'd fail before I got to 30 on the last set. I did that twice a week for a couple years, worked like a charm. I've done a lot of different programs since then, but I don't think anything has worked better. Only drawback is that 90 reps for 7 lifts takes a lot of time.

Current practice for cycling performance improvement is lifting heavy, starting at say 10 reps and working down to 3 sets of 4, of maybe 4 lower body exercises with ever increasing weight of course, so that one stays near failure. One doesn't get bigger lifting heavy. One gets bigger by eating more. If you do more than this, it cuts into your riding energy. That didn't seem to matter in my 50s but it does now.

I did a thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/training-...e-athlete.html
that's complete with periodized programs for the whole year. I did that for years before Covid. I'd still be doing it if I had the bucks to spend on equipment. As it is, I'm doing one-legged work with dumbbells, Ok, but not the same as lifting heavy.
Old 02-10-21, 12:09 AM
5 mph

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 50 Posts
You'll be thankful for lifting the next time you take a fall. Having some muscle tone for some reason has kept me from really bad injuries.
Old 02-10-21, 05:42 AM
SurferCyclist

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF 9.0 Di2, Cannondale CaaD 8, Diamondback MTB(ancient)

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 22 Posts
Yep I train with weights and always have done. I have a good set up in my garage with free weights and lat pull down, chin up bar etc. As surfing is my main sport I'll only do weights if not riding or surf no good so I might only do a couple sessions a month or it might be several a week. Depends on what else I'm doing.
I enjoy hitting the iron so don't find it a chore at all, it keeps me in excellent condition so what's not to like. 62 BTW.
Old 02-10-21, 07:53 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 299 Posts
I lifted weights consistently for about 10 years and it all came to a halt in March of 2020 and haven't touched a weight since. I would do chest day, arm day, core day and then reluctantly - leg day ha ha. I have problems with my legs for some reason and take too long to recover. I even did cross fit a few years back but I think that was a mistake which led to a torn shoulder which has never recovered.

Since March, I have done nothing but ride - outdoors and Zwifting and then every other day I do yoga. I've lost about 10lbs of muscle, which helps speed up my cycling and I don't have the constant pain in my shoulders and chest that I used to have from lifting weights. I do miss it and can see my muscles deteriorating but can't see myself getting in a gym any time soon with the pandemic.

You are using other muscle groups (core, triceps, fore arms, etc...) when cycling just not for the purpose of building muscle or increasing strength.
Old 02-10-21, 10:56 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson
I lifted weights consistently for about 10 years and it all came to a halt in March of 2020 and haven't touched a weight since. I would do chest day, arm day, core day and then reluctantly - leg day ha ha. I have problems with my legs for some reason and take too long to recover. I even did cross fit a few years back but I think that was a mistake which led to a torn shoulder which has never recovered.

Since March, I have done nothing but ride - outdoors and Zwifting and then every other day I do yoga. I've lost about 10lbs of muscle, which helps speed up my cycling and I don't have the constant pain in my shoulders and chest that I used to have from lifting weights. I do miss it and can see my muscles deteriorating but can't see myself getting in a gym any time soon with the pandemic.

You are using other muscle groups (core, triceps, fore arms, etc...) when cycling just not for the purpose of building muscle or increasing strength.
Every day after your yoga, try a set of pushupe to near failure and plank for 2'. That's my minimal upper body & core, works. I'm just doing legs with the dumbbells now. I did upper body along with my legs through December.
Old 02-10-21, 01:00 PM
BadGrandma

Bikes: Surly Cross, Franklin tandem, Culprit Jr., BMX racer

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
I went back to the gym after working out with my trainer in my little living room using a few dumbbells. The lack of weight progression was discouraging. At the gym I wear a heavy dust mask with an inner gasket, and a thinner mask on top. Ohio has its own Bubbas and Bubbetts.

My trainer seems a lot happier,too, as I can now say, "This is too light.".
Likes For BadGrandma:
Old 02-10-21, 05:50 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Ohio Bubbas and Bubbettes ... every state has them, they breed everywhere Buckeye Bubba and Buckeye Bubbette.. I remember we had a buckeye tree in the yard when I use to live in Ohio. I saw one of our local invisible lats guy at the grocery store all pissed because they made him wear a mask while in the store. Bragging he could bench a tractor but can’t handle a 2 ounce mask
Old 02-14-21, 10:08 AM
flan48

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 2

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by 5 mph
I built my own Gym in the Garage when we had the recent crisis.
I purposely limited the amount of weights I bought...
I don't want to build big muscles , I just want them to work.
Having some muscle tone helps in falls and accidents.

I avoid lifting heavy weights for these reason.. I personally know of case about an older guy who was in great shape who collapsed while he was lifting really heavy weights from some type of cardiovascular event (stroke or heart attack)
I've also read stories about older former football players having some unfortunate results from using the same weights they used in their playing days.
This is my opinion only People say 60 is the new 40 and 80 is the new 60, but personally I am cautious. I try to do a lot of repetitions with light amounts of weights and to be careful. Its very
easy for us to forget our Age and get carried away.
Your approach is right on point, IMHO. As my family doctor told me, working out with weights as one gets older, is not a problem for muscles. After all, they just respond to the stimulus. It's the tendons and ligaments that lose elasticity and can "snap", strain, tear, etc. So keeping it lighter with more reps is indeed the way to go.

Best regards
Old 02-14-21, 10:20 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I'd love to but I don't have a garage or empty room, and the gym is still spawning 'rona. I know, "get some dumbbells" but that's so inconvenient.
Old 02-14-21, 12:32 PM
Elbeinlaw

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 68 Posts
Fatal accidents and weightlifting

Originally Posted by rlmalisz
The author of "Younger Next Year" ... real-life experience
--Richard
Quick comment: in the article, there's a picture of the place where the author crossed the road (to get to the other side), and it's elegantly eloquent. The picture shows a car parked in the shade, which is dark compared to the bright sun. And the sun and shade are dappled. All of which make anything in the road harder to see. This is the most dangerous possible condition, even worse than driving into sun.

Now, as to weight-lifting ... when the gym closed, I too, took up cycling again. Recently I've added back in resistance exercises. But I'm using tubes. I don't have room to store or to use weights, but my resistance station takes four hooks in a 2x4 stud in the basement and a place to hang the tubes. I added a mat to do my stretching. A full gym in about 9 square feet, and it could be less if i needed it to be. I've lifted weights for years--fitness training, not body building--and I find the tubing to be much more effective. In part because I can vary the resistance infinitely by moving closer or further from the hooks.
Old 02-15-21, 08:15 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

9 degrees outside record cold. 11 in the garage so no weight training today... I’m way down south what is this global warming?

Old 02-15-21, 03:21 PM
Elbeinlaw

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 68 Posts
Powder/Power

Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
9 degrees outside record cold. 11 in the garage so no weight training today... I知 way down south what is this global warming?

That looks a lot like. My parents' place in Wimberley.

My son's in Austin. The ""rolling blackouts" in his neighborhood turn out to be Rawhide Blackouts (rolling rolling rollin') ... estimate is 24 hours! Guess you guys aren't cycling!
Old 02-15-21, 06:59 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Wimberley very similar terrain.. No blackouts here so far and I am surprised. Any type of weather the electricity goes.. Cold all week I guess I will adapt and wear some warm clothing to lift some weights.
Old 02-16-21, 04:46 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Haven’t lifted this week when it is 11 degrees in the garage I would never warm up. 30 degrees still too cold I can handle mid 40s and warm up enough to where something won’t snap. So I guess this will be a de load which I could use anyways. Trying to heat garage doesn’t do anything then again this weather is rare here so soon will be back on schedule. We need to improve our power grid down here in the worse way. Luckily no power outages but there have been many without electricity or water.
Old 02-17-21, 07:36 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 299 Posts
Haven’t lifted this week when it is 11 degrees in the garage I would never warm up. 30 degrees still too cold I can handle mid 40s and warm up enough to where something won’t snap. So I guess this will be a de load which I could use anyways. Trying to heat garage doesn’t do anything then again this weather is rare here so soon will be back on schedule. We need to improve our power grid down here in the worse way. Luckily no power outages but there have been many without electricity or water.
A colleague of mine lives in KY and has been out of power and water for over a week now, crazy! Bizarre weather happening around the world these days. The UK has been enjoying an almost unseen amount of snow this year and providing many with their first rides in the snow.
Old 02-17-21, 09:14 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Seeing how the vulnerable the power grid should be a wake up call to address the weaknesses. I’m going to invest in a generator and have a better cache of basic supplies stored. The snow has been fun since I have a 4x4 pickup and I got to go snowing instead of mudding. We had warning so most people stocked up but this 2 day adventure has turned into a week and most of Austin and San Antonio has lost power. 60-70 degrees by the weekend so the end is near.
Old 02-17-21, 09:43 AM
D@vid

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Pull up bar, gymnastics rings dumbell weights and a weight belt, works for me.

If you have somewhere to hang the rings you don't even need the pull up bar. And if it's a nice day you just hang them outside and exercise in the fresh air.
Likes For D@vid:
Old 02-17-21, 01:14 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,120 Times in 744 Posts
Have my own home gym - its my “man cave” so i splurged.

Rogue Fitness power rack, lots of bumper plates, - one fully adjustable York bench with spotter stands and one non adjustable for dumbbell work .

now that ive had a knee replacement and a rotator cuff repair, i find myself using TRX bands strapped to the power rack more than anything else

i too, have a full set of cast iron dbells, but use the BowFlex adjustable ones a lot more for convenience.

most of my exercises now mimic the movements i used to do in physical therapy for my ailments, rather than the heavy olympic lifting i had in mind when i built the gym
Old 02-17-21, 10:41 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
Seeing how the vulnerable the power grid should be a wake up call to address the weaknesses. I知 going to invest in a generator and have a better cache of basic supplies stored. The snow has been fun since I have a 4x4 pickup and I got to go snowing instead of mudding. We had warning so most people stocked up but this 2 day adventure has turned into a week and most of Austin and San Antonio has lost power. 60-70 degrees by the weekend so the end is near.
Glad to hear you are doing well.
Likes For big john:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.