Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

SON Dynamos - 28 versus "delux"

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-21, 11:46 AM
aseth

Bikes: 2011 Surly Cross Check, 1988-89 Crescent Pentasport, Generic State fixie :P

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello!

For context, I recently purchased a NOS vintage Swedish road bike from the 80s that I'm retrofitting for modern touring use with the help of my LBS. Although it breaks my heart a little, I've decided to replace the classic East German light system on the bike with something more practical (and safe), if albeit not as cool looking. This includes having my guy rebuild the front wheel with a SON dynamo hub.

Since my shop doesn't have a SON supplier, he told me to order the parts and bring them in. I'm having a little trouble picking the right model, though. The wheelset is 650B (ETRTO 584) from a (defunct?) Belgian company called "Alesa", 36 spokes.

From what I can tell, either the SON 28 or the SON Delux should work fine, and I'm struggling to really see the difference since the price point from my online retailer is the same. If I understand correctly, the Delux is more efficient in terms of power generation and lighter, which makes me wonder why anybody would choose the 28? This makes me think I must be missing something, so I figured I'd turn to those of you with a few more touring miles under your belts who can guide me to making a sound purchase. Big thanks in advance for the help!

Edit: I'm also planning on doing USB charging via a Sinewave Beacon if it makes any difference.

Last edited by aseth; 03-01-21 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Additional detail.
Old 03-01-21, 02:55 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
If you might use the hub on a Sinewave to charge up phone, GPS, batteries, etc., you want the highest rated output hub.

Pasted:
Some people want to use the SONdelux with 700c rims. Since this combination results in the hub spinning slower at a given speed than it was designed for, there will be slightly less drag, and the lights will reach full intensity at a bit higher speed. This is fine if you'll only be using modern LED headlights that reach high intensity at a very low speed. But if you ever want to use a charger to keep you phone or GPS charged on tour, you'll more power at low speeds with the SON28.

Above was pasted from this link:
https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/schmidt.php

Refer to that link for more detail.