Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Lightweight aluminum frame

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-21, 06:26 PM
Tiestotti

Bikes: Mercier Kilo WT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 5 Posts

Hello all.

I am looking for suggestions and recommendations for a lightweight aluminum fixed gear frame, for a new build. I already own a Kilo, and I love it to death. Just looking to maybe start a new project, using a light frameset.

thank you for all your recommendations!
Old 03-05-21, 07:29 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 3,986 Times in 2,661 Posts
Does it have to be 'loominum? If it were me I would go titanium, fairly light, durable a heck and no need to paint or worry about scratches. This is my attainable dream bike: https://www.rencycles.com/yarak

You can also get custom geometry from him for not a ton of money but with a ton of quality.
Old 03-05-21, 08:54 PM
bykemike 

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 81 Posts
Vegan, is Ren still building? After seeing the link to them I sent an email the next day saying I was interested in a Yarek frame but , so far, no reply. I may try again tomorrow just in case. That is a beautiful frame
and it satisfies my need to almost always acquire bicycles and motorcycles that I can't ever possibly use to even a fraction of their potential, it's a sickness.
Old 03-06-21, 12:15 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
If aluminum is your plan, this one is worthy of discussion.

https://allcitycycles.com/bikes/thunderdome
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 03-06-21, 07:31 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Aluminum - smart choice. Light, strong, cheap - pick three. If I were you, I'd keep an eye on the Random Bike Parts site for frames, although track frames don't come up often.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 03-06-21, 11:47 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by bykemike
Vegan, is Ren still building? After seeing the link to them I sent an email the next day saying I was interested in a Yarek frame but , so far, no reply. I may try again tomorrow just in case. That is a beautiful frame
and it satisfies my need to almost always acquire bicycles and motorcycles that I can't ever possibly use to even a fraction of their potential, it's a sickness.
I don't see why not! He might be busy as he has a multitude of different companies. The Yarak came out mid last year so I doubt he would cancel right away. Most companies right now especially smaller ones and single occupancy deals may not be able to get back right away. Responding to lots of emails cuts a big chunk out of the day and when you are doing so much it might be tough.

Also just of not Yarak no e.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-08-21, 02:20 AM
Tiestotti

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Does it have to be 'loominum? If it were me I would go titanium, fairly light, durable a heck and no need to paint or worry about scratches. This is my attainable dream bike: https://www.rencycles.com/yarak

You can also get custom geometry from him for not a ton of money but with a ton of quality.
a good titanium bike would be great, as long as I can afford it lol I came across a raw State Bicycle frameset today, which would also eliminate the worry for scratches, I hope?
Old 03-08-21, 02:22 AM
Tiestotti

Originally Posted by TugaDude
If aluminum is your plan, this one is worthy of discussion.

https://allcitycycles.com/bikes/thunderdome
what a beautiful frame. thanks!
Old 03-08-21, 08:58 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by Tiestotti
a good titanium bike would be great, as long as I can afford it lol I came across a raw State Bicycle frameset today, which would also eliminate the worry for scratches, I hope?
The Yarak isn't too bad it is around 2k and for a MUSA Titanium bike that isn't just Lynskey or Lightspeed is pretty damn good. This isn't some bargain basement builder either this is someone who has been in the industry for a long time and does a lot with more than just bikes. Dave is a nice guy and make some excellent parts.

If you can save up a little money I would go for it. If you are worried about scratches and damage and things like that titanium is hard to beat. Go for and achieve your dreams. I plan on doing it maybe not this year but probably next year (I just made my big bike purchase this year and it is a dooooooozy and I am financing it so I can afford it but it is a big big big purchase and probably won't need anything else this year)
Old 03-08-21, 09:22 PM
bykemike 

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 81 Posts
What did you get this year Vegan? You have some nice stuff in your forum list.

I think the only way I could afford a Yarak this year is frame only and build it up in stages, it is a stunning looking design and Ti is a forever frame.

I often run into a guy with a Lightspeed road bike, fairly vintage judging from the components, he is over 80 and bought this bike new and expects it will see him through just fine.
Old 03-09-21, 12:41 AM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts

That’s a gorgeous bike
Likes For jay4usc:
Old 03-09-21, 06:54 AM
rewop12

Bikes: Dolan Pre Cursa

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dolan Pre Cursa, really nice frameset and it's $400 new
Old 03-11-21, 04:40 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by bykemike
What did you get this year Vegan? You have some nice stuff in your forum list.

I think the only way I could afford a Yarak this year is frame only and build it up in stages, it is a stunning looking design and Ti is a forever frame.

I often run into a guy with a Lightspeed road bike, fairly vintage judging from the components, he is over 80 and bought this bike new and expects it will see him through just fine.
Thanks, I enjoy having and building up nice bikes. They bring me joy like people who own other fancy things.

This year I got the ultimate driving machine: https://www.r-m.de/en-us/bikes/super...00466_04022629. I plan on doing a lot of commuting on it and also some solo touring because my time is limited and being able to go further and carry more is nice. I have honestly not been riding quite as much as I want and really not commuting often so this a way to get me back on it. Plus with this I can explore new routes to and from work and carry a ton of groceries home with me as well so I don't have to make additional trips and such.

I have also always kinda wanted a Rohloff hub and this is an excuse to get one and the E-14 system is quite nice. I don't plan on getting rid of any of my main bikes I just want something different and fun and this is a bike I have ridden a bunch in the past at work and have sold quite a few.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-12-21, 07:04 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Thanks, I enjoy having and building up nice bikes. They bring me joy like people who own other fancy things.

This year I got the ultimate driving machine: https://www.r-m.de/en-us/bikes/super...00466_04022629. I plan on doing a lot of commuting on it and also some solo touring because my time is limited and being able to go further and carry more is nice. I have honestly not been riding quite as much as I want and really not commuting often so this a way to get me back on it. Plus with this I can explore new routes to and from work and carry a ton of groceries home with me as well so I don't have to make additional trips and such.

I have also always kinda wanted a Rohloff hub and this is an excuse to get one and the E-14 system is quite nice. I don't plan on getting rid of any of my main bikes I just want something different and fun and this is a bike I have ridden a bunch in the past at work and have sold quite a few.
Would love for you to do a separate thread on that bike! Wow, it is interesting to say the least. That is all.
Old 03-12-21, 07:31 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
Would love for you to do a separate thread on that bike! Wow, it is interesting to say the least. That is all.
I look forward to seeing something like that too - in the Rolhoff E-bike Forum
Old 03-13-21, 03:20 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by IAmSam
I look forward to seeing something like that too - in the Rolhoff E-bike Forum
Thanks, I will do a thread on it when the bike comes in and is ready to go. It will take some time to come in but people will likely see it around here and will certainly have something in the e-bike sub-forum. Though no Rohloff specific sub-forum but not advocating for that we could discuss Rohloff most anywhere though technically here would not be ideal in the SS/FG sub-forum but we that is fine as I still love my fixed gears.

It is an awesome bike. Love 'em or hate 'em e-bikes are the future and if it is getting me commuting by bike more again and getting me out in more weather conditions I am down to clown.
Old 03-26-21, 08:59 AM
BikeEthics
Bike Ethically

Bikes: Fixed Gear, MTB

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Currently, I ride State Bicycles' Undefeated II Black Prism Edition. It is the best fixed gear frame I have owned so far! You cannot go wrong with that one.