Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Have you made your own bicycle decals?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-21, 09:30 PM
Plainsman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 30 Posts

Looking for some best practices on making my own custom bicycle decals. I have a vinyl cutter and have made decals for cars, cups, walls, etc. Looking for suggestions on best type of vinyl, application tips, any pics (invitation to toot your own horn), etc. I’m also toying with the idea of using removable vinyl so I can experiment with different looks. Any advice?
Old 03-06-21, 09:30 AM
Whit51 

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 55 Posts
Plainsman, if you try posting this in the Classic and Vintage sub forum you might get some good responses. This comes up from time to time over there.
Old 03-06-21, 09:51 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
I have not done my own decals, but you may find some useful info at a site where I did create my own and ordered. There's some info on their vinyl choices anyway.

https://doityourselflettering.com/create/
Old 03-06-21, 11:22 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
I made stencils out of painters tape and sprayed logos onto my son’s bike, and a strider bike that we gave to a neighborhood kid. The controlling factors were the consistency of the stencils, and the quality of the paint used over the stencils (the cheap hardware store paint bled after the application).

Checkout Oldshovel on YouTube, he does his own stenciling on his restoration bikes.
Old 03-06-21, 08:08 PM
Pactin

Bikes: Allez

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Made some for my wheels, but unfortunately don't have any pics. If you've made them for cars, the same details apply (eg: make sure you apply to a clean surface, etc) except bicycles are a bit more of a complex surface than that of a car's panel.

In my experience, the metallic vinyl - from that brand that sounds like an insect - adhered much better than the regular stuff. This may be due to it being thinner and having a stronger adhesive backing.
Likes For Pactin:
Old 03-09-21, 09:54 PM
Plainsman

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 30 Posts
Thanks all.
Old 03-09-21, 10:06 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I have not done my own decals, but you may find some useful info at a site where I did create my own and ordered. There's some info on their vinyl choices anyway.

https://doityourselflettering.com/create/
​​​​​​I don't know where you'd put these on a bike but they're pretty spectacular, and she does custom sizes at a very reasonable price. Aero tubing would give you more space for something like this.

https://www.hydrascapestickers.com/store