Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Should I (2015) ?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Should I (2015) ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-15, 10:40 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 763 Times in 431 Posts
Should I (2015) ?

OK, so I can't find the old thread, my search skills are poor, so I'm starting a new one.

So, should I townify my Salsa Casseroll SS with tourist bars and cork grips like I did with my Windsor Clockwork or just leave it the way it is with drops that I never use ? Also, should I leave it as a SS, or make it geared, since it already has 130mm rear dropout spacing and a derailleur hanger ?

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 01-31-15, 10:44 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
OK, so I can't find the old thread, my search skills are poor, so I'm starting a new one.

So, should I townify my Salsa Casseroll SS with tourist bars and cork grips like I did with my Windsor Clockwork or just leave it the way it is with drops that I never use ? Also, should I leave it as a SS, or make it geared, since it already has 130mm rear dropout spacing and a derailleur hanger ?
Do whatever you need to make you ride it. If you need gears, then go gears. Just ride it!!

Ok, should I part out my Jamis Sonik and sell just the stuff I don't want off of it, or should I keep it as a spare back up bike?
Old 01-31-15, 11:10 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
Do whatever you need to make you ride it. If you need gears, then go gears. Just ride it!!

Ok, should I part out my Jamis Sonik and sell just the stuff I don't want off of it, or should I keep it as a spare back up bike?
Well, I am riding it, but just mulling over possible changes to make it better. The first part is pretty much a no-brainer, since it's easy and cheap to do, but the gearing part is a bit more difficult decision, since there are downsides such as having to remove the chainguard and more difficulty in keeping it clean.

As to you question, I'm not sure if you're being serious, but I can't see any reason to part out the Sonic unless you are strapped for cash.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 01-31-15, 11:17 AM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Tourist bars on the Salsa could be fun. I rode like that for a short while to mix things up and I found it to be very enjoyable.
Old 01-31-15, 11:25 AM
TenSpeedV2

Well, I am riding it, but just mulling over possible changes to make it better. The first part is pretty much a no-brainer, since it's easy and cheap to do, but the gearing part is a bit more difficult decision, since there are downsides such as having to remove the chainguard and more difficulty in keeping it clean.

As to you question, I'm not sure if you're being serious, but I can't see any reason to part out the Sonic unless you are strapped for cash.
I apologize, I saw where you said that you never use it, meaning the drops, not the bike. I am not a fan of geared bikes any more, at least for me. Would you find it to be more enjoyable if it was geared?
Old 01-31-15, 11:48 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

I apologize, I saw where you said that you never use it, meaning the drops, not the bike. I am not a fan of geared bikes any more, at least for me. Would you find it to be more enjoyable if it was geared?
OK, no problem. The only reason for gears is that I use this bike for shopping and it's often very heavily loaded, so I have it geared very low at under 60gi to make easier to get started at traffic lights and get up hills. I also run platform pedals without straps, so I can only push down on the pedals. I've also muddled over the idea of using an IGH, which would require less maintenance and allow me to keep the chainguard.

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 01-31-15, 11:49 AM
TenSpeedV2

OK, no problem. The only reason for gears is that I use this bike for shopping and it's often very heavily loaded, so I have it geared very low at under 60gi to make easier to get started at traffic lights and get up hills. I also run platform pedals without straps, so I can only push down on the pedals. I've also muddled over the idea of using an IGH, which would require less maintenance and allow me to keep the chainguard.
IGH then. Keeps the clean look, and the ease of keeping the bike clean, along with the chainguard.
Old 01-31-15, 11:56 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

IGH then. Keeps the clean look, and the ease of keeping the bike clean, along with the chainguard.
Do you have any recommendation for a good IGH that will work with 130mm dropout spacing ?

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 01-31-15, 12:27 PM
TenSpeedV2

I was going to ask you the same thing for my next bike LOL. I know nothing of them to be honest. I am very curious about them however.
Old 01-31-15, 12:33 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

I was going to ask you the same thing for my next bike LOL. I know nothing of them to be honest. I am very curious about them however.
Yeah, me neither. My only experience is on my nearly 40 y/o Schwinn Speedster that has a SA 3-speed IGH. The jumps between gears are huge, so I'd definitely want something with more gears that are more closely spaced.

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 01-31-15, 01:04 PM
hockeyteeth

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a Nexus 7-speed hub for a couple years. It was great. I traded it to a co-worker and it's still running strong. Only had a grip shifter option though. Alfine comes in 8 and 11-speed, has a rapid fire shifter, and is supposedly made with more durable internals, plus a disc option if your frame has disc tabs. We have modern Sturmey Archer 5-speed hubs on some of the new bikes on the floor. They are nowhere near as nice as Shimano's IGH offerings. Nuvinci is interesting if you want an infinitely variable gear range. Rohloff if you're a ******!
Old 01-31-15, 01:15 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by hockeyteeth
I had a Nexus 7-speed hub for a couple years. It was great. I traded it to a co-worker and it's still running strong. Only had a grip shifter option though. Alfine comes in 8 and 11-speed, has a rapid fire shifter, and is supposedly made with more durable internals, plus a disc option if your frame has disc tabs. We have modern Sturmey Archer 5-speed hubs on some of the new bikes on the floor. They are nowhere near as nice as Shimano's IGH offerings. Nuvinci is interesting if you want an infinitely variable gear range. Rohloff if you're a ******!
Thanks for the input. What I'd really like is to use a downtube shifter, since tbe frame already has dt shifter mounts and cable guides under the bb. Is that available for any of those IGH hubs ? The less amount of cabling and clutter the better for me.

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 01-31-15, 01:40 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

A quick google search tells me there aren't any compatible matches for dt shifters and igh hubs besides what SA offers in 3 speed.
Old 01-31-15, 02:40 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by hairnet
A quick google search tells me there aren't any compatible matches for dt shifters and igh hubs besides what SA offers in 3 speed.

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 01-31-15, 02:59 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

What about their thumbie shifter? I always found thumbies to be more aesthetically pleasing than trigger shifters for the style of bike you have, if you go for the tourist bar. SLC50 ? Sturmey Archer
Old 01-31-15, 03:13 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by hairnet
What about their thumbie shifter? I always found thumbies to be more aesthetically pleasing than trigger shifters for the style of bike you have, if you go for the tourist bar. SLC50 ? Sturmey Archer
Yeah, I saw that, but it only works with a 5-speed IGH and still requires running a cable and housing all the way from the hub to the handlebar with a lot of mounting clips and whatnot. I suppose I could use a cable housing stop on the dt shifter mount and the housing stop on the rear of the chainstay to minimize the amount of housing at least.

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 02-01-15, 02:06 AM
TenSpeedV2

Being just a hair over the qualifications for being a clyde, should I get a Tioga Twin Tail saddle?
Old 02-01-15, 05:28 AM
AristoNYC

Bikes: AristoNYC's PedalRoom

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I am looking to get an aluminum frame to use on the track but also ride on the street occasionally.

I would ideally like to keep the frame and fork cost below $700.
What would you recommend?
Here are the 3 I was looking at:
Dolan Pre Cursa (60cm)
Dolan Track Champion (60cm)
All City Thunderdome (61cm)

Last edited by AristoNYC; 02-01-15 at 07:04 AM.
Old 02-01-15, 06:15 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Yeah, I saw that, but it only works with a 5-speed IGH and still requires running a cable and housing all the way from the hub to the handlebar with a lot of mounting clips and whatnot. I suppose I could use a cable housing stop on the dt shifter mount and the housing stop on the rear of the chainstay to minimize the amount of housing at least.
You could always use a Sturmey-Archer "Duomatic" 2-speed hub. You shift by back-pedalling (like the old Bendix 2-speeds), so no cables or housing. Available in a variety of widths and with or without a coaster brake:

Products ? Sturmey Archer
Old 02-01-15, 07:51 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
You could always use a Sturmey-Archer "Duomatic" 2-speed hub. You shift by back-pedalling (like the old Bendix 2-speeds), so no cables or housing. Available in a variety of widths and with or without a coaster brake:

Products ? Sturmey Archer
Thanks for the input, but it doesn't seem worth the trouble for just two gears, and I'd want at least 5 gears. Also, that hub w/o a brake is only available with a dropout spacing of 110mm or 120mm, and the dropouts on my Salsa are spaced at 130mm.

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 02-01-15, 07:57 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by AristoNYC
I am looking to get an aluminum frame to use on the track but also ride on the street occasionally.

I would ideally like to keep the frame and fork cost below $700.
What would you recommend?
Here are the 3 I was looking at:
Dolan Pre Cursa (60cm)
Dolan Track Champion (60cm)
All City Thunderdome (61cm)
I have a Dolan Pre Cursa, and it's a great value as a basic track frame with good track geo and stiffness. I ride mine only on the street with a road fork that is drilled for a front brake.

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 02-01-15, 08:04 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Being just a hair over the qualifications for being a clyde, should I get a Tioga Twin Tail saddle?
I'm not sure if it could handle your weight, but I have one and it's absolute torture after a very short time, so I wouldn't recommend it regardless.

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 02-01-15, 09:05 AM
AristoNYC

Bikes: AristoNYC's PedalRoom

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I have a Dolan Pre Cursa, and it's a great value as a basic track frame with good track geo and stiffness. I ride mine only on the street with a road fork that is drilled for a front brake.
Thanks.
Aside from the bit of weight savings (300 grams) and slightly different geo, would the double priced Track Champion be that much better?
Old 02-01-15, 09:13 AM
TenSpeedV2

I'm not sure if it could handle your weight, but I have one and it's absolute torture after a very short time, so I wouldn't recommend it regardless.
Thanks for the input. Do you ride with a chamois? I do, and I would like to break that habit, but I can't seem to do it. All year round I wear one because I like the added comfort. I admit, I am drawn in by the look of it, but worry about the reliability of it.
Old 02-01-15, 10:12 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Thanks for the input. Do you ride with a chamois? I do, and I would like to break that habit, but I can't seem to do it. All year round I wear one because I like the added comfort. I admit, I am drawn in by the look of it, but worry about the reliability of it.
I can't even imagine riding that saddle w/o some sort of padding, but routinely ride other saddles in just cotton briefs under my shorts or pants. The best saddle for this is my Brooks Pro. When I was using the Tioga, I only rode with padded chamois bibs and still suffered mightily. I replaced it with a Charge Knife, which is almost as lightweight, and vastly more comfortable.

Originally Posted by Dcv

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.