Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

has my fork been cut?....

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-03-12, 02:58 PM
miker2012

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hi

i just bot a new bike and noticed that the heigth of the stem seemed low compared to other bikes i have looked at

after checking it out, i have one big spacer and two little ones under my stem

how high should my fork protrude from the head tube?

when i take the stem off, as you will see fomr the pic, there is about 4-5cm of metal exposed

can i add a different sized spacer to raise my stem or has my fork already been cut to size?
how much fork should be exposed above the head tube on a new bike?

thanks for your input
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0247.jpg (38.3 KB, 201 views)
Old 05-03-12, 02:58 PM
miker2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Attached Images
IMG_0248.jpg (33.6 KB, 119 views)
Old 05-03-12, 03:05 PM
fstshrk

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
You can't raise the stem higher than where it is on the bike now. You have already maxed the fork steerer tube. You can put on a new stem to get a bit more height or adjust the reach though.
Old 05-03-12, 03:11 PM
bobonker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, it has been cut. Looks like you've got 1 10mm spacer and 2 5mm spacers. Most manufacturers recommended a max of 30-40mm of spacers, but you cannot do that without getting a new fork. More important, you'd also enrage the forum by running so many spacers.

Your stem is likely +6 or +7 deg. You can get the bars up higher by using a +10 deg stem. A +17 would also work, but the steep rise would look kinda funny on a race-oriented bike. (and will also enrage the forum)

Bob
Old 05-03-12, 03:12 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
It doesn't really matter whether it's been cut or not, the question is if you can be comfortable on the bike. (I guess maybe it matters if you bought it new from a shop, and they might have an uncut one to trade you.)

Looks like you're probably running a +6 degree stem; you might try a +10 or even an adjustable stem until you figure out exactly where you want the bars.
Old 05-03-12, 03:35 PM
fstshrk

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest

Looks like you're probably running a +6 degree stem; you might try a +10 or even an adjustable stem until you figure out exactly where you want the bars.
+1 on the adjustable stem until you figure out what stem configuration is comfortable for you.
Old 05-03-12, 03:46 PM
NWS Alpine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That looks about normal for a stock bike steerer. Did you buy it brand new and get a fitting? It looks like you have a short stem on the bike.

The spacers are what you would normally find but was a low profile topcap added? If anything you are still a little too high.

To give some perspective what some are mentioning https://slamthatstem.com/

Last edited by NWS Alpine; 05-03-12 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-03-12, 03:48 PM
DropDeadFred

Bikes: 2013 orca

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cut it some more
Old 05-03-12, 04:18 PM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can also go with a steering tube extender if you need to get the bars up higher.
Old 05-03-12, 05:06 PM
Triguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
say it with me now... roubaix
Old 05-03-12, 07:11 PM
miker2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes, i should have gotten the roubaix........ live and learn

here is the story, i would LOVE to hear your opinions as i am very unhappy with the fit of the bike and feel like i was sold a bill of goods by a store that really didnt have any interest in selling me a properly fitted bike

i bot the bike, they fitted me up by sitting me on the bike and that was it..... as i am a newb rider, i had no idea what size i needed so of course i took their word that i was a size small (30.5 cycling inseam, 5"5) i thought the 52cm frame was too big but i went with them... but clearly they were just trying to pull a fast one on me..... the bike they told me was a new leftover 2010 and gave me a very good deal on it (with 105 compnonents) for thousands less than a new 2012.... i was gonna get the allez but figured at this price, why not**********

so i took the bike home a couple weeks ago, did not get a fitting right away b/c i wanted to wait till i got my shoes and had a chance to ride the bike a little cause whats the point of a fitting if you dont know how the bike feels)... i have emailed them for a fitting tomorrow, of course i didnt hear back

i have never been able to get comfy on it.... firstly, i feel too stretched out and the bars feel too low... i have tried adjusting saddle (which is incorrect cause that effects how your legs move in relation to the bb) i have tried flipping the stem, tried many different positions of the bars

bottomline, the bike does not seem to fit... every other bike i have seen has a much higher amount of spacers and a much higher handlebar..... i even sat on a 54cm today and it felt better and the bars felt closer than my current bar... i will attach a picture of me on the bike to illustrate my point

i am not happy with it, i feel i was sold a frame too big and they are just going to "try and make it fit" rather than selling me the bike that would fit me.... i couldnt figure out why the bike felt weird until i looked at the stem

can i get some more opinions on the fork.... is it for sure been cut********** if it has, the bike is going back tomorrow and they will either get me a new stem or a new bike in 50cm

how many spacers come on a tarmac elite? can i get more confirmation that the stem has been cut? i will take a few more pics of it and post them up

please give me your opinions.... it would be one thing if this was a bike i had for a while but this is a new bike and was sold as a new bike and one of the most fundamental parts of new bike ownership is stem/spacer heigth

i will post a few more pics in a sec but please, more opinions to confirm for sure that it has already been cut so i can go back to the dealer tomorrow

thanks for all your help
Old 05-03-12, 07:22 PM
miker2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
here is me on the bike.... i had bushed the seat forward on this pic so disregard that.... it just feels weird, sometimes it feels to long top tube, other times my knees come close to hitting the bars... its hard for me to explain cause i am a newbie but the bars feel to be in the wrong position most of the time

everything on the bike appears stock, stem is 90mm
Attached Images
bike11.jpg (54.3 KB, 132 views)
Old 05-03-12, 07:32 PM
fstshrk

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Looking at the picture, I don't think this bike is too large for you. I think you are not used to being on a road bike. Having said that, I would not have started on this bike for a newbie.
If you are not happy with it, take it back and get a Secteur or a Roubaix. Secteur and Roubaix have the same geometry.
Old 05-03-12, 07:40 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by miker2012
here is me on the bike.... i had bushed the seat forward on this pic so disregard that.... it just feels weird, sometimes it feels to long top tube, other times my knees come close to hitting the bars... its hard for me to explain cause i am a newbie but the bars feel to be in the wrong position most of the time

everything on the bike appears stock, stem is 90mm
That looks ballpark.

Don't adjust the saddle to fit you upper body. Start your fit from the feet, to the legs, to the saddle and once that is sorted adjust bars/stem to fit the upper body.

Old 05-03-12, 08:00 PM
miker2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i am posting a link to my photobucket... more hq pics of my stem... as you can see from the pics, there is wear on either side of the tube suggesting it has been cut

in the last pic, i laid the stem on the head tube and it shows the amount of adjustment i would have with no spacers..... does that seem like stock?

i really hope the stem has been cut cause that then i can go back to the lbs and force them to gimme a new fork or a new bike

its hard to tell but if you look at the pics, you can see the edges of the metal look worn and its not a sharp edge

again, anyone else wit ha 2010 tarmac 52cm... how hi was your stem? how many spacers come stock on the bike? mine came with two tiny spacers and 1 larger one

also, if you look at the pic where i put the stem on, there is just a bit of expposed tube, not really that much it would seem to me the bike would come stock wit h more adjustment than this

can anyone confirm?

thanks

https://s730.photobucket.com/albums/w...ker2008_photo/
Old 05-03-12, 08:48 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

OP,

A few things.

1. The bike is NOT to small for you. It looks like the correct size.

2. You fork is CARBON not alloy.

3. With a CARBON fork the manufacturers state that you can't have more than 30~40mm of spacers below the stem or else you risk damage the steerer (fork). This means that the assembly factory cut the fork NOT the shop.

4. As a newb, the last thing you should be doing is pulling your bike apart. Do you know (really know) how to properly re assemble it? Do you have a torque wrench?

Put your bike back together, get the shop to check it and go for a ride. If, in a few weeks it still feels off have the stem swapped for a higher rise stem as other have suggested.

Old 05-03-12, 09:05 PM
miker2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the posts... much appreciated

i have heard from others too that 30-40mm is the max for risers..... right now i have one 10mm riser and 2 5mm risers for 20mm total=

does anyone know if that is stock for a 52cm frame?
Old 05-03-12, 09:25 PM
Triguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike size doesn't look so bad. Hmmm, time and a better fit might be the answer.
Old 05-03-12, 09:26 PM
Durockrolly

Bikes: 2020 Giant Cypress DX

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
Go to the Specialized site for the correct year of your bike and check it out. You can zoom in on the spacers and see how many/what size they are.
Old 05-03-12, 09:26 PM
Triguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, I wouldn't get caught up on the steerer cutting thing. Who knows who or when it was cut. Even if it was the shop, thats how you bought it.
Old 05-03-12, 09:35 PM
mechBgon

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Furthermore:

1. that actually IS an adjustable stem. It uses a shim with an offset bore for the steertube. From the photo that shows the stem alone, I see you've got it set for the lower ride height in that picture.

2. corrolary to #1: the top cap is directional. Which way it should be rotated depends on whether your stem's shim is rotated to the higher or lower ride height.

3. the steertube's internal reinforcement plug is very important. It should be tightened to spec and NOT MESSED WITH.

4. your riding position is quite upright for a road-racing bike. If you still feel too stretched-out when you're that high... Roubaix. Heck, I'm more stretched-out than that on my mountain bike.

5. a 52cm for someone 5'5" is reasonable for a road-racing bike, it certainly isn't screaming "TOO BIG!" from your photo. Maybe you just need some time to acclimate.

how many spacers come on a tarmac elite?
According to Specialized's site, the 2010 Tarmac Elite came with 20mm of spacers.

can i get some more opinions on the fork.... is it for sure been cut**********
That looks like the factory cut to me. If you look over the Tarmacs listed at Specialized's site, you'll see more of the same. It's a race bike, it's intended to put you down in an aerodynamic riding posture.

Last edited by mechBgon; 05-03-12 at 09:47 PM.
Old 05-03-12, 09:47 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Originally Posted by Triguy
Also, I wouldn't get caught up on the steerer cutting thing. Who knows who or when it was cut. Even if it was the shop, thats how you bought it.
It was cut at the assembly factory based on specs from the brand.

Old 05-03-12, 10:03 PM
Pain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get a shorter stem with more rise, but keep that stem because by the end of the summer you might want to switch back.
Old 05-03-12, 10:20 PM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://slamthatstem.com/ (only half joking...)

Dang, you look like a windsail on that bike... The solution is to ride more because there's NO way that bike is too big for you. Good luck and enjoy it!
Old 05-03-12, 11:02 PM
lungimsam

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
You could also rotate the bars up a bit. That will help you feel less stretched out. Right now, it looks like the top of the bar slopes down to the brake hoods. Try to rotate the bars up several degrees and see if it feels better for you. Works for me on my bike. Later, you may want to rotate it back down again as you get used to the feel. Try to get the top of the bars level to the ground. When you go for the fit at the shop, they can help you with this, as well as moving the brake levers to a better place on the bars for you so the top of the bars, as well as the profile of the brake hoods are level and on the same plane. Like this:

Hoever: If you have a carbon stem or handlebar, don't do it yourslef unless you know the torque rating for the bolts or you could crack parts = danger.
Here's my bike with the level bars and the level hoods+shorter stem with rising extension = feels good.

Last edited by lungimsam; 05-03-12 at 11:09 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.