Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cycling does not require skills?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-06-12, 02:09 PM
MSMechanic

Bikes: 2011 Trek 2.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was talking to my friends about skills require in different sports when we were watching the snooker world championship. One of my friend (who is not a cyclist) said that cycling, as an endurance sport, does not require much skills. Where as football, tennis...etc emphasis much more on skill levels. I didn't know what to say then. Do you think this is true?
Old 05-06-12, 02:13 PM
JustinNY

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hes right, cycling does not require much skills. But football, tennis, etc don't require much skills either.

However, to be great at any of these sports, you will need lots of skills
Old 05-06-12, 02:17 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Wow, that is just ignorant.

Out of curiosity, does this person do much cycling?
Old 05-06-12, 02:19 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Riding a bike for 10 miles on a Sunday afternoon is not rocket science.

Riding in professional race requires a great deal of skill and tactical knowledge. You need to know when to really put in the effort, you need to understand and/or motivate your team, you need to figure out how much you opponent has left in the tank, you need to know how hard you can push it without blowing up, you need to be able to descend a mountain at 50-60mph....

Football is about more than brute strength. Tennis is about more than having a good backswing. Cycling is about more than raw endurance.
Old 05-06-12, 02:20 PM
Durockrolly

Bikes: 2020 Giant Cypress DX

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
If you are an experienced road rider and you participate in club/group rides, you will definitely be able to recognize the skilled riders from the non-skilled riders.
Likes For Durockrolly:
Old 05-06-12, 02:20 PM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
To "just ride along" it does not take much skill. To become good, well that is a different story. Same way with all of the ones they mentioned. People can also just knock pool balls around on a pool table. However, when I went to Vegas to shoot it took a little bit of skill.
Old 05-06-12, 02:24 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MSMechanic
I was talking to my friends about skills require in different sports when we were watching the snooker world championship. One of my friend (who is not a cyclist) said that cycling, as an endurance sport, does not require much skills. Where as football, tennis...etc emphasis much more on skill levels. I didn't know what to say then. Do you think this is true?
I think that your friend needs to try racing.

Having the engine merely buys you a ticket. If you haven't got the bike handling skills, and the tactical ability, it won't be enough to get you the win. It's true it doesn't require the hand/eye (or foot/eye) coordination of some sports, but let's think of downhill skiing. Does your friend think that doesn't require a high level of skill? Bike racing is a bit like that with the aerobic demands attached.
Old 05-06-12, 02:26 PM
Compsci523

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe

Tennis is about more than having a good backswing.
My God how old are you? Backswing? Seriously? Tennis is much more than just having a good "backswing." When you compare Tennis to Cycling, the skill required for tennis just destroys it.
Old 05-06-12, 02:38 PM
jsutkeepspining
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Compsci523
My God how old are you? Backswing? Seriously? Tennis is much more than just having a good "backswing." When you compare Tennis to Cycling, the skill required for tennis just destroys it.
he said tennis is about more than having a backswing.... aka u need more than that.
Old 05-06-12, 03:10 PM
AddictedToMusic

Bikes: Big Wheel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I can see your friend's point for different sports emphasis on different things. In motor sport, for example, "driving skills" or "car handling skills" would be the determining factor for winning and losing; whereas In road cycling, "bike handling" might not be as critical as motor sport. However, I can imagine that in a time trail, bike handling skills is as important as the physical strength of the cyclist.
Old 05-06-12, 03:29 PM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
It takes no skills to play snooker. To play it well takes skills. Same with most other endeavors.

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 05-06-12, 03:30 PM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by AddictedToMusic
I guess I can see your friend's point for different sports emphasis on different things. In motor sport, for example, "driving skills" or "car handling skills" would be the determining factor for winning and losing; whereas In road cycling, "bike handling" might not be as critical as motor sport. However, I can imagine that in a time trail, bike handling skills is as important as the physical strength of the cyclist.
When coming up to the line for a sprint finish with five people rubbing elbows handling is pretty important as well. Not to mention 60 mph descents.
Old 05-06-12, 03:37 PM
HokuLoa
Blissketeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LowCel
When coming up to the line for a sprint finish with five people rubbing elbows handling is pretty important as well. Not to mention 60 mph descents.
That's what I was thinking as an easy example for a noob. Tell the friend, "true if you mean just pedaling casually along the street but not true if you really ride the road extensively and/or aggressively. Try following me on a hairpin descent at 45-60mph if you think cycling takes no skill... Oh and BTW you might consider a bump in your health insurance and maybe even a life insurance policy..."
Old 05-06-12, 03:39 PM
AngrySaki
Socrates Johnson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree that cycling takes less skill than some sports, and more skill than others (like running). Generally, I would say the more physically demanding the sport, the less skill it requires. Even within cycling, i would rank different events something like this: time trialing < road cycling < mountain biking < bmx
Old 05-06-12, 04:25 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
It may be true to an extent. I'm not sure what significance that fact would have.

You'll never hear of a champion bike rider called "Minnesota Fats", so I think it's reasonable to say that bike riding requires more fitness than pool and some other activities.

In any race-type activity, if you could only go 5% faster than anyone else out there without wrecking, it wouldn't take much skill otherwise. But since that is seldom the case at a high level, presumably skill enters more and more into it.
Old 05-06-12, 04:33 PM
EventServices
Announcer

Bikes: More than I need, really.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
.... when we were watching the snooker world championship.
This is where you lost me.
Old 05-06-12, 04:48 PM
AddictedToMusic

Bikes: Big Wheel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EventServices
This is where you lost me.
still more interesting than golf
Old 05-06-12, 05:00 PM
abstractform20

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
meh. MMA requires the greatest level of skill.
Old 05-06-12, 05:20 PM
phee

Bikes: BMC RM01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by abstractform20
meh. MMA requires the greatest level of skill.
Nah, I can get hit in the face at work without even trying

To the OP, I think your friend is right in a way. I love watching basketball, but can not play the game to save my soul. The skill level is just way too high and I would need to practice for hours upon hours to get even half as good as I would wish to be. Cycling on the other hand is downright hard. One of the hardest sports I have ever participated in, but as far as skill level goes it just doesn't seem to be in the same league as other sports. That isn't to say that there aren't skills in cycling. I love to watch videos of Cancellara descending, but other than bike handling there aren't a lot of what I would consider skills to be applied.
Old 05-06-12, 05:24 PM
Triguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dstrong
It takes no skills to play snooker. To play it well takes skills. Same with most other endeavors.
This is about right, what most people who do in the 41 takes little "skill." To do what Taylor Phinney, Cav or or other people who make money riding bikes do, takes a **** ton of skill. From descents, to lead outs, to cornering without losing speed, to time trial(pacing, staying aero, picking lines) and even the little things like receiving first aid while hanging on to a car door, weaving through cars back up to the peloton, eating while riding.
Old 05-06-12, 05:40 PM
on the path
Señor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
One of my friend (who is not a cyclist) said that cycling does not require much skills.
I wouldn't want to follow his wheel..
Old 05-06-12, 05:43 PM
Walter
SLJ 6/8/65-5/2/07

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
Others have implied but it might as well be said straight out: To excel at any sport requires superb skill. To participate in any sport; not so much
Likes For Walter:
Old 05-06-12, 06:02 PM
abstractform20

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by phee
Nah, I can get hit in the face at work without even trying

To the OP, I think your friend is right in a way. I love watching basketball, but can not play the game to save my soul. The skill level is just way too high and I would need to practice for hours upon hours to get even half as good as I would wish to be. Cycling on the other hand is downright hard. One of the hardest sports I have ever participated in, but as far as skill level goes it just doesn't seem to be in the same league as other sports. That isn't to say that there aren't skills in cycling. I love to watch videos of Cancellara descending, but other than bike handling there aren't a lot of what I would consider skills to be applied.
you don't have to put on the red light...
Old 05-06-12, 06:06 PM
abstractform20

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Walter
Others have implied but it might as well be said straight out: To excel at any sport requires superb skill. To participate in any sport; not so much
depends on the talent pool...although, absolute events like powerlifting, running, etc. will ultimately come down to genetics. this however, does not take away from the amazing fact that some human beings can pick up 1000lbs w/o external assistance (...ok, maybe lifting suits).

Attached Images
Old 05-06-12, 06:37 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Snooker? Really?

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.