Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Best fixie under 1200$

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Best fixie under 1200$

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-14, 11:25 AM
McRussellPants

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I jumped from a Kilo TT to a 2012 TK3.

If I had planned on keeping the TK3 stock I would have been disappointed. Open ball hubs, split seam rims, flexy ass crankset, garbage cog. The only factory part left on mine is the headset, which has held up well. That being said, I was 230lbs and really put the boots to that thing.

A TK3 with a set of 200$ Velocitys thrown on it would hit the 1000$ mark, throwing the track drops in the garbage for some road bars might cost you 20-30 bucks. That would make it my choice.

Saying Leaders hold up well when 90% of any of these Aluminum Chinese tank frames problem's are component related and they don't sell completes is kind of hilarious. Extra hilarious when the Leaders are actually known for seatpost problems.
Old 12-11-14, 11:28 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by McRussellPants
I jumped from a Kilo TT to a 2012 TK3.

If I had planned on keeping the TK3 stock I would have been disappointed. Open ball hubs, split seam rims, flexy ass crankset, garbage cog. The only factory part left on mine is the headset, which has held up well. That being said, I was 230lbs and really put the boots to that thing.

A TK3 with a set of 200$ Velocitys thrown on it would hit the 1000$ mark, throwing the track drops in the garbage for some road bars might cost you 20-30 bucks. That would make it my choice.

Saying Leaders hold up well when 90% of any of these Aluminum Chinese tank frames problem's are component related and they don't sell completes is kind of hilarious. Extra hilarious when the Leaders are actually known for seatpost problems.
I love my 2013 TK3. I have had zero issues with it since the day I got it. I am a little lighter than you at about 210 and only ride it on the street, but I have put some miles on it and experienced nothing like you have. You had flex in the cranks?
Old 12-11-14, 01:27 PM
McRussellPants

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
I love my 2013 TK3. I have had zero issues with it since the day I got it. I am a little lighter than you at about 210 and only ride it on the street, but I have put some miles on it and experienced nothing like you have. You had flex in the cranks?
The switch from factory to Omniums was pretty noticeable. Really noticeable. That and the wheels made the biggest differences.

I'm not saying its a must have, you'll really only feel it all in in clipless pedals. But, cup and cone china hubs are pretty high maintenance and split rim is hood, I'd say wheels are a must have. I dunno what years came with that wheel setup though.
Old 12-11-14, 02:14 PM
GhostSS

Bikes: 2012 Switch Performance BlackSkin LE Urban, 2013 Leader 725, 1975 Fuji America, 1990 Giant Cadex 980c, 1986 Peugeot PH10LE, 1995 Trek 2120 Carbon ZX

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by McRussellPants

Newer Leader models late 2011 onwards fixed this problem as long as you primed the seatpost. "Hilariously", the seatpost issue was resolved 4 model generations ago. I'm not trying to make you look like an ass, but it'd be a shame if you convinced someone not to get a new Leader frame based on old knowledge.

Plus isn't it better to choose components yourself? Wheels, pedals, saddles, and handlebars on a lot of new bikes just get shelved anyways. The drive train on many fixed gears are not always the geared to the rider either and end up getting changed anyways. The OP has a $1200 budget, a Leader frame with good component choices are well within that budget.

Not sure why everything is so hilarious.
Old 12-11-14, 02:51 PM
McRussellPants

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostSS
Newer Leader models late 2011 onwards fixed this problem as long as you primed the seatpost. "Hilariously", the seatpost issue was resolved 4 model generations ago. I'm not trying to make you look like an ass, but it'd be a shame if you convinced someone not to get a new Leader frame based on old knowledge.
Ah, yeah I didn't know about that. I thought that as a 'this year' thing with that double clamp.

Yeah, for some people its better to build your own bike. Probably not the people asking how to blow 1200$ on bike forums. With most of the cheapest stuff on retrogression, I didn't spend much time hunting out optimally cheap parts, I got a 2015 725 build to 990$, plus 140$ shipping, plus maybe the 20$ you'll pay a friend to build it. But if you're making a "what bike should i buy" post you probably don't have that friend so probably a local shop to assemble. Dunno if retrogression will put it together as a complete for you.

So theres 1200$, maybe more.

Theres the Felt TK3 thats about 350$ cheaper,
Damn the Langster street bike is 650$ out the door.
The Giant Omnium is $1200 with nicer everything
The Fuji Track 1.0 you could probably do for 1200 or so from Performance Bike.

So I don't see the Value, its a frame thats maybe a step better than Crew/Unknown/Submithousebrandhere and then having to deal with the markups of finding parts individually. Like, for 735 Frameset price you could buy a Yoeleo Track frame and be the king of street hipsterness if you wanted to go that route.

Thats why I think a Leader is a wack suggestion for some rando on the internet wanting to go ride with his uncle on the weekends.
Old 12-11-14, 05:15 PM
bowzette

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hairnet
#KiloTT

I would get the Wabi Lightning.
I have one and I'm happy with it, but I use it for road rides up to 100+ miles. If I were just riding in town maybe I would like something else better or as well.
Old 12-11-14, 05:53 PM
Jared.
Uninformed Senior Member

Bikes: Dolan Pre Cursa, Cannondale R400

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What? I've seen/heard firsthand 3 Leader frames up to 2014 with seatpost problems. Known problems that were warrantied.
Old 12-11-14, 06:18 PM
GhostSS

Bikes: 2012 Switch Performance BlackSkin LE Urban, 2013 Leader 725, 1975 Fuji America, 1990 Giant Cadex 980c, 1986 Peugeot PH10LE, 1995 Trek 2120 Carbon ZX

I'm not about to White Knight for Leader, but I've had no issues with mine (early 2013). Then again, I only weigh 135.
Old 12-11-14, 06:56 PM
Carcosa

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
^ I had creaking on my 2013 725, but not slippage whatsoever. Creaking went away with some grease.

Great frame that can be had a great price these days.
Old 12-11-14, 07:07 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
I'm not about to White Knight for Leader, but I've had no issues with mine (early 2013). Then again, I only weigh 135.
Yeah, that's about my weight too. Maybe that's why I haven't broken the carbon seatpost in my 2010 Leader 721tr.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 12-11-14, 07:19 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
This is not 100% accurate.

The slippage issue with the pre-2011 integrated seatpost clamp system could be worked around by priming the clamp prior to installing the seatpost but ham-fisted lunkheads kept stripping the threads and ruining their frames. The next version (initially called the '2012 Mid') had a separate seatpost collar but the round sleeve welded into the aero seat tube was well-known for creaking if even one of the internal welds let go, which was common because again, the ham-fists were overtightening the ever-loving crap out of their seatpost collars and weakening the welds (however, I had two extremely creaky 2012-2014 Leaders and am always extremely careful to not overtighten things). This problem continued until late 2014, when they switched up the design for the two-bolt/cutaway system seen on the 2015 frames.

At any rate, the majority of "known issues" with Leader frames stem from people being dumb.

Last edited by Scrodzilla; 12-11-14 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-11-14, 07:36 PM
GhostSS

Yeah, that's, uh, what I meant to say.
Old 12-11-14, 07:43 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Old 12-11-14, 08:25 PM
GENESTARWIND

Bikes: purty blue undefeated II 57cm

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
So I'm assuming since most of the issues come from user error a warning now comes with leader frames explicitly stating torque specs must be followed?
Old 12-11-14, 08:35 PM
GENESTARWIND

Bikes: purty blue undefeated II 57cm

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I mean I've never stripped anything on my bike or on cars I've worked on before but then again I'm not an idiot and don't ham fist things and follow specs or use good judgement. Note: my drinking is completely unrelated and acting a fool and knowing what you're are doing are two different things.
Old 12-11-14, 08:57 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by bowzette
I have one and I'm happy with it, but I use it for road rides up to 100+ miles. If I were just riding in town maybe I would like something else better or as well.
My Wabi Lightening might just be my favorite bike, but I am more of a distance than a city rider. It will also be over $1200 all-in. For the city I would probably get something a little more "urban".
Old 12-11-14, 09:18 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Originally Posted by GENESTARWIND
So I'm assuming since most of the issues come from user error a warning now comes with leader frames explicitly stating torque specs must be followed?
Surprisingly, the frames come with no such warning or printed specs.
Old 12-11-14, 09:42 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
This is not 100% accurate.

The slippage issue with the pre-2011 integrated seatpost clamp system could be worked around by priming the clamp prior to installing the seatpost but ham-fisted lunkheads kept stripping the threads and ruining their frames. The next version (initially called the '2012 Mid') had a separate seatpost collar but the round sleeve welded into the aero seat tube was well-known for creaking if even one of the internal welds let go, which was common because again, the ham-fists were overtightening the ever-loving crap out of their seatpost collars and weakening the welds (however, I had two extremely creaky 2012-2014 Leaders and am always extremely careful to not overtighten things). This problem continued until late 2014, when they switched up the design for the two-bolt/cutaway system seen on the 2015 frames.

At any rate, the majority of "known issues" with Leader frames stem from people being dumb.
Most of the issues with bikes stem from people being dumb.

Customer: "Uhhh I got a flat somehow"
Bike Shop Employee: "when was the last time you pumped it?"
Customer: "uhhhh well uhhhh probably uhhh you know not that long ago"
Bike Shop Employee: "did you jump over any curbs?"
Customer: "well not really...I mean I did maybe once but really carefully, my friend at a bike shop said it was ok"
Bike Shop Employee: "you should pump your tires more often and check them before you ride and maybe not jump over curbs which can cause flats especially in under inflated tubes"
Old 12-11-14, 09:45 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
It isn't even funny how often I have to tell customers to pump their tires so that they don't get another flat.
Old 12-11-14, 09:47 PM
Flatulentfox

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Most issues in life are from people being dumb and doing stupid things...
Old 12-11-14, 10:10 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatulentfox
Most issues in life are from people being dumb and doing stupid things...
So we've progressed from people overtightening seatpost bolts, to a philosophical treatise on human nature.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 12-11-14, 10:25 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Yes. The human race is doomed and it started right here on Bikeforums.
Old 12-11-14, 11:57 PM
Wspsux

Bikes: Waterford, Salsa, Rivendell

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Will my bread get soggy if I use the toaster in the bath?
Old 12-12-14, 12:25 AM
neamatoad
forever shiny and chrome

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hairnet
It isn't even funny how often I have to tell customers to pump their tires so that they don't get another flat.
reminds me of a college student that brought in a bike 4 times within a few months with rear pinch flats despite me telling her to keep her tires inflated
Old 12-12-14, 12:28 AM
McRussellPants

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

3/8th impact > 1/4 drive adapter > 6mm allen socket. sup.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.