Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

First bike in 10 years, need help!

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-18, 05:28 AM
D4L3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking for recommendations. I haven’t had a bike in 10 years, since the old Huffy that was left outside year round in Michigan at college. I haven’t ridden since then and never been on anything nicer aside from a quick ride on an old Gary Fisher.

I’d like to pick up a bike to just ride again. Subdivision, metropark, and campground will be 99% of what I’m riding for now. Almost always paved, but it’ll be rough at time. I’ll also be pulling a bike trailer for my daughter much of the time.

I’d like a quality bike that’ll last me a decade, but know I don’t necessarily need anything too fancy. Through endless research I’d landed at options from Trek being the FX1 or DS1. The local bike shop also recommended a DS1. Yesterday I went in to order one, but they no longer have the 2018 DS1 in my size. I ordered a 2019 Dual Sport 1, but it’s not the color frame I’d prefer and I left without the warm and fuzzies. Also ordered a 2018 Niko 1 for my wife as I’d like for her to have something comparable. Now I’m second guessing it, but I don’t know if it’s a little sticker shock. I know good bikes don’t come cheap, but I wasn’t planning to spend $1,100 between the two either.

Giant bikes are 15% off now, so I was considering switching to the Roam 3. Any real difference? Any other suggestions for my intended rides and hopefully keeping budget to the $350-400 range per bike opposed to $500+?

Really appreciate the help.

Last edited by D4L3; 06-20-18 at 05:37 AM.
Old 06-20-18, 06:39 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Looks like most sources sell the Giant Roam 3 for $490. In that price range you get an entry level bike with entry level components. That's not a knock on the bike, just reality. One thing I don't care for is the front suspension. At least it has a lockout so you can lock the fork in one position when you are riding on the road. The truth is that most entry level forks aren't worth very much and are there more as an inducement to buy the bike than for function. I'd rather the manufacturer put the few dollars it takes to have a suspension fork into other components that make the bike work better. What do you get for more money? Generally better components and lighter weight. I have two old but higher end MTBs, one with a Manitou suspension fork and the other with a rigid fork. It's only on rough trails that the suspension fork makes a real difference.
Old 06-20-18, 07:33 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
It sounds to me like you've already made up your mind and pulled the trigger. Whenever I buy a brand new bike, I'm second guessing my decision right up to the moment I get to ride it. Then everything comes together and I have a smile on my face. I even second guess and ask myself why I'm buying used bikes at second hand stores and garage sales when I don't even need them. That is until I get it up and running or have a table full of parts and all kinds of ideas of what to do with them and how they'll make my favorite ride even better. I guess I'm a bike addict. Gotta run, the BA meeting starts in an hour at the local bike shop.

Last edited by Bigbus; 06-20-18 at 07:37 PM.
Old 06-25-18, 05:42 AM
talphie

Bikes: Volkscycle, Trek Fx3, Specialized Hard Rock

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
A couple years ago I did a similar thing. Wanted a new bike for both my wife and I. Looked at a few brands in the style I wanted and compared prices. I involved my wife in the process since I wanted to ride with her. Test drove (rode?) a few and made the decision based on the feel of the bike and the service reputation of the bike shop since I’m not smart enough to work on it myself. My conclusion was that there wasn’t much difference between name brand bikes in the similar price range, just minor advantages/disadvantages depending on personal preferences. So, if you like the Giant and it’s discounted 15%, buy it. But, if you’re only buying it because of the discount you may regret it later when it sits in the garage unused if you really don’t like it as much as another similar bike from a different manufacturer. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-01-18, 07:11 PM
D4L3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I went to another bike shop on recommendation and they were fantastic to work with. Ended up with a pair of Specialized that we’re really happy with. Ended up paying the little bit higher price, but I was ok with that having confidence in the assistance we received and backing of the bike shop. I think our biggest turn off and questions from my original post came from the lack of help and knowledge at the previous bike shop.
Old 07-12-18, 11:04 PM
Winston15

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock 1997, 97 Lemond Chambery, Trek Madone 5.2, 98 Schwinn S-10, 2019 Bianchi C-sport 1

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by D4L3
Thanks for the replies. I went to another bike shop on recommendation and they were fantastic to work with. Ended up with a pair of Specialized that we’re really happy with. Ended up paying the little bit higher price, but I was ok with that having confidence in the assistance we received and backing of the bike shop. I think our biggest turn off and questions from my original post came from the lack of help and knowledge at the previous bike shop.
What Specialized bikes did you guys get?
Old 07-15-18, 09:43 PM
D4L3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Winston15
What Specialized bikes did you guys get?
CrossTrail for me and Ariel for my wife. Both mechanical disc.
Old 07-19-18, 06:45 PM
Winston15

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock 1997, 97 Lemond Chambery, Trek Madone 5.2, 98 Schwinn S-10, 2019 Bianchi C-sport 1

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by D4L3
CrossTrail for me and Ariel for my wife. Both mechanical disc.
Cool! Also got my wife an Ariel last month, white with hot pink lettering. She loved it!