Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bike Flights also using UPS

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-19, 10:03 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 06-11-20 at 03:41 PM.
Old 03-30-19, 10:14 AM
nesteel 

Bikes: See the signature....

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 114 Posts
There's a reason I started using Fedex and dropped UPS like a bad habit. Bikeflights is now dead to me.
Old 03-30-19, 10:29 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
I've had terrible experience with UPS as well. YMMV.

"Best" one ever was a claim they denied on a shipment I received on a bike purchase, for "poorly packed". I agreed, but I stopped the guy from leaving as it was a UPS store that packed it. He said, "OK, we will just send it to the claim center to sort it out". ME: "And who is going to pack it for that shipment?" Him: "You." Me; "OK but I charge $75 to pack a bike, so pay me first."

At that point, stalemate.
Old 03-30-19, 10:32 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,404 Times in 1,205 Posts
Yeah, this just happened. Was in the process of shipping my bike out to Eroica Wednesday night, and the quote from BikeFlights was (gulp) $267 round trip. That's about double what I paid round trip to Palm Springs CA in February, same bag, same weight.

Called customer service and they told me they were aware that FedEx had changed rates and that there would be a change to the web site on Friday that might fix it. So I wound up shipping via ShipBikes, which was $107 cheaper (they use FedEx).

Clearly, something has changed here. I don't mind UPS, every delivery company has its horror stories. But with as much volume as BF does, makes one wonder why they would switch. Unless it's more $ for them with similar great rates for their customers.
Old 03-30-19, 11:15 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
I've had terrible experience with UPS as well. YMMV.

"Best" one ever was a claim they denied on a shipment I received on a bike purchase, for "poorly packed". I agreed, but I stopped the guy from leaving as it was a UPS store that packed it. He said, "OK, we will just send it to the claim center to sort it out". ME: "And who is going to pack it for that shipment?" Him: "You." Me; "OK but I charge $75 to pack a bike, so pay me first."

At that point, stalemate.

Could have been an instant replay of what I hade experienced.
A UPS store packed it. Poor packing job and box had truck tire marks across the side.
Old 03-30-19, 12:47 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
UPS story: A decade ago, I packed and shipped a Trek 2000 from the midwest to the east coast. Packed it myself in a sturdy cardboard bike box: foam insulation, ziptied and bubbled wrapped everything, spacers. Got a call from the buyer, who said that UPS had dumped what was left of a bike with box on his porch.

Box looked like it had been dropped off a cliff. Downtube was sliced in half, and the bike is now a collection of parts. How do you do this in shipping? I couldn't believe it. I felt so bad, I let the buyer keep the parts instead of shipping them back, as the box had been destroyed and was no longer usable. Then UPS took their sweet time (months) getting me a refund, and fought me the whole way, even with pix of a demolished box and an essentially sawed-in-half frame. That was enough to take my business elsewhere. Haven't used them since.

This is why when I ship a bike these days, it's always in a Colorado Cyclist corrugated plastic clamshell box, to prevent crush and slicing injury. I don't trust cardboard anymore, and I only use shipbikes.com.
Old 03-30-19, 02:47 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 283 Posts
My question is, how long has Bike Flights been affiliated with UPS?

My experience with Bike Flights has always been very good.

As for UPS (non-related to shipments or in regards to Bike Flights) have been poor.

With that, and until I know the answer to my question will determine any future business with Bike Flights. Again and to date, Bike Flights has been good.
Old 03-30-19, 04:21 PM
camelopardalis

Bikes: Some

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict
My question is, how long has Bike Flights been affiliated with UPS?

My experience with Bike Flights has always been very good.

As for UPS (non-related to shipments or in regards to Bike Flights) have been poor.

With that, and until I know the answer to my question will determine any future business with Bike Flights. Again and to date, Bike Flights has been good.
I think not too long. I shipped a bike frame thru Bikeflights on March 25 and it was still Fedex. I too have had some rough experiences with UPS.
Old 03-30-19, 04:53 PM
nomadmax 

Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
My wife works for UPS.

I drove 1500 miles to buy my last bike in lieu of shipping it.
Old 03-30-19, 05:02 PM
jiangshi
Banned.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
FDX or UPS doesn't make much difference as far as handling. UPS may be better, because of the way oversized and high value items move through the system.

FWIW, I just checked prices for a package (not a bike) on both. BikeFlights has lost a customer.
Old 03-30-19, 05:14 PM
nervgs

Bikes: Giant Defy Composite 0, Bridgestone RB-1 (and a spare unbuilt frame), Masi Gran Criterium & Prestige, Specialzed (3Rensho) Allez, KTM Strada SL aero (frame + fork), Freschi Super Criterium (frame + fork), a 50-60's era Follis (frame + fork)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just had a pair of wheels shipped to me via Bikeflights and they were by FedEx....... I guess I got lucky?

-glenn
Old 03-30-19, 07:58 PM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
BikeFlights is not so great. Cheap but you get what you pay for, if something happens it's a PITA. I had a bike damaged by FedEx a few weeks ago. They dont answer phones, they take a day to email back and dont answer your questions. And their communication was unclear.

Plus their website sucks.
Old 03-30-19, 08:16 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
A UPS store packed it. Poor packing job and box had truck tire marks across the side.
Wish I had a picture. UPS store had put a large "FRAGILE" sticker on the side of the box, then someone from UPS put a boot print right on top of it. Funny. Not.
Old 03-30-19, 08:32 PM
rccardr 

Interesting.
My primary exposure to UPS is in shipping wine (yes, I have other hobbies).
Not sure if any of the wine I've had shipped from coast to coast has ever gone thru FedEx.
Don't think so, pretty sure it's all been UPS.
Never had a broken bottle, missed shipment, or weirded out box.
So, there's that.
Old 03-30-19, 08:35 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by repechage
I had the same experience re: tire marks with UPS.
Old 03-30-19, 08:40 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

I bought a BikeFlights label a week ago, FedEx shipped it. IN to CA
I bought a BikeFlights label two days ago, UPS shipped it. UT to IN.
Who the hell knows? I've never had a bad experience with FedEx, but UPS, sure.
We'll see what condition my frame is in when it gets here (UPS) or the wheels to Chombi (FedEx).

Packing is still, generally, everything, but tire marks and sliced boxes; that's handling. What's funny is, a UPS plant is focused on speed and filling the trailers, not sure how something the size of a bike box gets manhandled. I used to load trucks for the now-defunct Carolina Freight, which was nationwide and a big player. A bike box would have gotten shoved up on top of a load, for sure. That's a good thing. We mangled many a fender and auto body panel, but not often anything like a bike box. Small light freight gets damaged, and things needing forklifts get damaged, and not a lot in between.
Old 03-30-19, 09:51 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I hear some companies are shipping bikes in boxes with pictures of flat screen TVs on the side so that the shippers will be more careful with them... might be worth hanging onto the box if you've purchased a big flat-screen TV lately.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-31-19, 12:14 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Ups, FedEx, they both are great and they both are horrible.
same with any small parcel or LTL carrier. R&L, yrc, odfl, FedEx priority, xpo, etc etc etc.

people swear by some of em and other swear off the same ones.
Being in the business, it's funny to hear, actually.
We all run on varying levels of confirmation bias.

speaking of- it's a shame FedEx is out as I've only had good results with them for shipping frames.
Old 03-31-19, 12:48 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
With computers the rule is to have about 2" of foam on all sides of the computer. And, nothing that can bump into anything breakable. Everything in the box is secure.

With bikes, it seems to be to just mash multi-thousand dollar bikes into a box, and complain when it is delivered battered.
Old 03-31-19, 05:27 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

The truth is, shipping bikes likely loses money, given the weight/volume and low count. As a terminal manager, I would not be sending my sales rep to get that account on a piecemeal basis. My guess is the price will eventually stabilize 25-40% higher and with 2 players.
Old 03-31-19, 06:05 AM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 86 Posts
I recently shipped two frames from western Kentucky to Chicago to my paint guy using bikeflights. Both were handled by fedex, both arrived on time and undamaged. In the past year I've had 3 complete bikes shipped to me using bikeflights, all 3 arrived undamaged. Inbetween those 3 complete bikes, I had a frame shipped to me by bikeflights. It arrived undamaged as well. Maybe I've just been lucky and the next shipment will be disastrous, but I think the odds are against it. Reality is frequently different from what I think, so there's that.

I will be curious to see what happens to shipping prices.

To be fair, I decided to drive 8 hours one way to pick up the frames after they were painted. Seeing a damaged box containing a freshly painted frame would have been nauseating. And, I needed to pay him for the work too. Yep, that's it.

UPDATE: Found this article.

Last edited by speedevil; 03-31-19 at 06:12 AM.
Old 03-31-19, 06:30 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 283 Posts
Warning.... mucho incompetence at the top - both USPS and UPS. Where's the 'checks and balances'?

LOL!!

Recent headlines

Man changed address of UPS headquarters to his own apartment

Thousands of mail items rerouted to Dushaun Henderson-Spruce’s home address in Chicago, including corporate credit cards

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...-own-apartment
Old 04-03-19, 09:29 AM
camelopardalis

Bikes: Some

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Well, I just used Bikeflights for the first time since they shifted to UPS. Box measurements are 49.5 x 10.5 x 34.5, 38 lbs.. From Peoria, Illinois to the Los Angeles area. Cost was $127 before insurance. Cost appears high to me since I haven't paid that much before. But I don't remember what the dimensions were on my previous shipments either.

And of course, it's with UPS, which I find disturbing. I priced it directly with Fedex and it was significantly higher. I should have tried Shipbikes.

I like Bikeflights. They are very responsive. It will be unfortunate if they lose business because of UPS.
Old 04-03-19, 10:21 AM
rccardr 

That's way high, should be more like 60-70 bucks based on previous BF pricing. Might take them a while to get thr prices back down, otherwise why bother?

Meanwhile, get a quote from Ship Bikes see how it compares. Bet it would be a lot cheaper.

I have been using BF ten ot twelve times a year, but will shift to another supplier if their prices remain that high.
Old 04-03-19, 10:33 AM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts
I just used bike flights to ship Cannondale from Chicago to Vegas. 63 dollars, plus 12 bucks for insurance, for $85.00 total. 9x53x29" and 35kbs.
Package arrived safe and sound, buyer is happy, I'm happy.

I'm aware of the horror stories but keep in mind a horror story is the only one you hear. "Look at this box with a tire tread over it, and the down tube sawn in half" ii IS outrageous! But that makes it an interesting anecdote. "I shipped a bike, it arrived on time and unharmed". Is BORING.

I remember in mechanics school, they tell you "an unhappy customer tells 20 people, a satisfied customer tells 1, maybe."

So for me, I'll keep using them, but for sure I'll insure!

Last edited by Chr0m0ly; 04-03-19 at 10:46 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.