Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Gear shifting technique

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Gear shifting technique

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-19, 03:17 PM
Oso Polar

Bikes: Trek 3500, Jamis Renegade Escapade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 43 Posts
It is still not tuned right. If it is really a brand new bike with a current Shimano 105 groupset it is not supposed to drop chain, not supposed to shift slow and definitely not supposed to shift on its own.
Old 05-11-19, 05:51 PM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Princess_Allez
I'm new to cycling so this is a possibility. I bought my bike brand new. I did only a few miles before the chain fell off the rear. I took the bike in to have it adjusted and everything seems fine. However, when I shift the front chainring it takes a little longer than expected (at times). The rear seems to be inbetween gears when I'm in the largest cog, and sometimes will shift down when I pedal out of the saddle. It's kinda annoying that my bike has suffered superficial marks because it hasn't been tuned right.
Front shifts are slower than the rear because there is a larger jump in gear size and because the derailleur is shifting the tension side of the chain (the rear derailleur is moving the slack side of the chain) You can help by easing off the pedals somewhat while shifting the front and that is easier on the parts as well. But, when properly adjusted, the chain should never drop off either side of the chainrings and what you describe in the rear is not right either.

I would take it back to the shop again and tell them exactly what's happening. Any competent bike mechanic should be able to fix that quickly. Another option if you are comfortable is to learn how to do it yourself. I'm sure Youtube has many videos on how to adjust derailleurs plus there is a bike mechanics board here on Bike Forums. If you are somewhat mechanically inclined tuning a bike drivetrain isn't that difficult.