Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Giant Escape Off Road

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Giant Escape Off Road

Old 06-01-19, 08:12 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Giant Escape Off Road

Has anyone used an Escape on any kind of off road use? I’m not talking about serious single track, just light off road. I grew up with Eighties MTBs which were all rigid and didn’t have particularly wide tires. So I thought an Escape might make a good beater dual purpose rigid bike.
Old 06-01-19, 08:29 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Giant Escape Off Road
Originally Posted by cs1
Has anyone used an Escape on any kind of off road use? I’m not talking about serious single track, just light off road. I grew up with Eighties MTBs which were all rigid and didn’t have particularly wide tires.

So I thought an Escape might make a good beater dual purpose rigid bike.
I don't read the Hybrid Bicycles Forum but I saw this as New Post, nor do I ride off-road unless necessary. Nonetheless, I have a Giant Escape and have posted:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Help with choosing a bike.

...Now here’s where I’m coming from. I have described myself as a decades-long, year-round lifestyle cyclist, and my favored bike is a high-end carbon fiber bike costing thousands of dollars..

I also have a aluminum beater road bike costing about $1500, and for me that was a minimal road bike, to be used in bad weather.

FWIW, I also have a Giant Escape hybrid bike that I recently bought for rehabilitation, because I was having trouble with my neck and shoulders riding the drop bars.

That bike cost about $600, and IMO was a good value as an all-round bike, certainly more amenable to off-road riding than my expensive carbon fiber road bike, and sturdy for my urban commute on the mean streets of Boston.
I think my aluminum Specialized Diverge road bike, with 30C tires, would also be suitable for "light" off road.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 06-01-19 at 08:35 AM.
Old 06-01-19, 11:59 AM
EGBigelo

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
I've used my Trek FX off road when I had it, as is not maintained rails to trails. I too grew up with rigid mountain bikes too back in the 80's (and 20" BMX bikes). Of course those were steel, but I had no issues with my FX. The only thing I would have changed on it if I still had it were tires better suited for bumpy dirt and gravel trails.
Old 06-01-19, 12:16 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
The biggest liability is the tire size. I think the Escape will fit up to about 38mm tires (perhaps a few mm larger or smaller), and you'll probably want to fit the largest tires you can on it for best results. Our old rigid mountain bikes have 559mm wheels (26"), with 50mm or larger tires (2"), which provided more flotation and comfort than a narrower tire does. Other than that, it should do fine. My daughter has used her Raleigh Alysa (same concept as a Giant Escape) on light single track, and it makes it through. We do have to air the tires up to fight against pinch flats, reducing comfort, but it does work.
Old 06-01-19, 03:18 PM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
I bought my Giant Sedona last year for it's 1.95" (50 mm) wide tires I thought I needed to do some off-roading. I ride with a friend on his Garry Fisher hybrid bike with 35 mm lightly treaded tires and was surprised how well the narrow tires handled some average gravel paths. A rather challenging trail I ride, With loose stone, soft gravel, Ruts and roots required a much more aggressive tire than you can get in a 35mm,tire, And he had to walk his bike up. But we came down another trail that was perhaps average, And the narrow tire worked for him. Just not very comfortable.

If you are buying a new bike, I would not go less them 38mm for light trail riding, Like Giants Roam 3. BTY, It is a misconception that wide tires of the same design, At least up to 2" slow you down much on pavement. Giant's Sedona won't be as quick as their Escape, Even using the same tire because the rider sits more upright increasing wind resistance, Not because of the 1.95" tire width.

I think the Giant Roam I also looked at might have been a good all rounder balancing speed on paved roads thanks to a semi-tucked riding position, And reasonable stability on gravel and average trails.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 06-01-19 at 03:22 PM.
Old 06-01-19, 05:25 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
The Giant Toughroad seems exactly what you are looking for. I have 2.15" front and 2"rear. Rolls perfectly on pavement, and on gravel / off road.
Old 06-01-19, 06:55 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
I've converted my Roam to 584mm wheels (often called 27.5" or 650b) and 47mm tires, though they actually measure out to about 49mm, or basically 2". I've also had 50-622 tires on it (2" on the stock wheels). Both of these combinations are at least as fast as the stock 38mm tires. Many people like narrower tires, and that's terrific, but wider tires aren't the speed liability that most believe them to be, and they offer a ton of advantages in many areas. My MTB uses 52-584 tires (Vittoria Mezcals) and those babies are fast.

If you already have the Escape, and it's a disc brake model, you could consider swapping to 584mm wheels. I bet you could easily get a 42-45mm tire in there, and your overall diameter would be 668mm (with 42mm tires) or 678mm (with 45mm tires), which is darn close to the stock 35-622 tires (692mm).
Old 07-15-19, 01:13 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts
one can choose a bike that suits a trail, or choose a trail that suits a bike