Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Double Century Bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Double Century Bike

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-04, 07:26 PM
53-11 alltheway

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Double Century Bike

What type of Bike would you use?

I was thinking of building up a Campy bike with Chorus Ergo shifters, Stronglight z'light 180mm compact crank, chorus compact front derailleur, Wheels Manufacturing 11-27 cassette (along with medium cahe rear derailleur for the extra wrap capacity).

I especially like how campy makes specific front derailleurs for compact cranks (since the radius should be smaller for the 50T ring).
Old 11-08-04, 07:32 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
I would think the frame would have a lot more to do with being able to spend 200 miles on it than the component selection. That said, if your double century route has lots of climbs and you're too tough to ride a triple but not too tough for a compact (you do realize there isn't a difference) than the compact double is a good choice. I'd throw on the biggest rear cassette I could just in case. My guess is you'll be wanting to catch your breath on the descents rather than mash down them in your 53-11.
Old 11-08-04, 07:35 PM
53-11 alltheway

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951
I would think the frame would have a lot more to do with being able to spend 200 miles on it than the component selection. That said, if your double century route has lots of climbs and you're too tough to ride a triple but not too tough for a compact (you do realize there isn't a difference) than the compact double is a good choice. I'd throw on the biggest rear cassette I could just in case. My guess is you'll be wanting to catch your breath on the descents rather than mash down them in your 53-11.
I have nothing against the gearing of the triple. I just don't like the extra complexity.

Incidentally, 34-27 is equal to 39-30. so the compact double isn't really getting me all that much lower gearing.

I could just throw a mountain rear derailleur on my STI bike and get even lower gearing, but I'm using this as an excuse to build up a specialized bike with a campy drivetrain.

Oh, and yes Northern California is not flat!!!!
Old 11-08-04, 07:58 PM
Steelrider

Bikes: Albert Eisentraut custom w/DA, Kestrel RT 700 w/Ultegra, Jamis Tangier

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 53-11 alltheway
I have nothing against the gearing of the triple. I just don't like the extra complexity.

Incidentally, 34-27 is equal to 39-30. so the compact double isn't really getting me all that much lower gearing.
You said it yourself - the point of the compact is not to get you much lower gearing, but to get you lower gearing without the complexity of the triple and without giving up too much on the top end. However, 50-12 alltheway doesn't quite have the ring of 53-11...
Old 11-08-04, 08:25 PM
Gus Riley
HomeBrew Master!

Bikes: Aegis Aro Svelte, Surly LHT, Cannondal R3000 tandem, Santana Triplet.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think I have a double century in me...really! So I'd have to say, my Gold Wing will have to do. Darn.
Old 11-08-04, 09:35 PM
53-11 alltheway

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steelrider
You said it yourself - the point of the compact is not to get you much lower gearing, but to get you lower gearing without the complexity of the triple and without giving up too much on the top end. However, 50-12 alltheway doesn't quite have the ring of 53-11...
Actually it would be 50-11......which is equal to 54-12.
Old 11-08-04, 09:36 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I would use a bike that I could feel comfortable on for 200 miles! Seriously, I would!

Good luck with your double century.

Koffee

Old 11-08-04, 09:49 PM
ed073

Bikes: Scapin EOS7 sloping, 10v Record, Ksyriums

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 53-11 alltheway
What type of Bike would you use?

A motorbike.
Old 11-08-04, 10:39 PM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I did mine on the Trek 5500 with the standard 53/39 crank and 12/25 cassette. Though it was a long day, I can't say I wasn't comfortable. The key for me was to stretch at each of the breaks.

55/Rad
Old 11-09-04, 12:13 AM
UncaStuart
Sophomoric Member

Bikes: Trek 5000, Novara Randonee, Meridian Cascade

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by koffee brown
I would use a bike that I could feel comfortable on for 200 miles! Seriously, I would!
Ditto. I don't think that this necessarily means building up a special "double-C" bike. The Meridian tandem my wife and I have used on the Davis Double and the Mount Hamilton Challenge (and assorted rides from SF to LA) is the same off-the-shelf one we've used for commuting and towing the grandkids around. But it's something we can spend 15 hours on (yeah, yeah, our motto is "we may be slow, but we're slow"), and the only thing we've done to it is get an 11-34 9-spd cassette to help us on the occasional 15% grade. That said, it never hurts to have something lighter so you're not pushing as much around all day.
Old 11-09-04, 01:57 AM
fogrider

Bikes: Ron Cooper, Time VXSR, rock lobster, rock lobster, serotta, ritchey, kestrel, paramount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UncaStuart
Ditto. I don't think that this necessarily means building up a special "double-C" bike. The Meridian tandem my wife and I have used on the Davis Double and the Mount Hamilton Challenge (and assorted rides from SF to LA) is the same off-the-shelf one we've used for commuting and towing the grandkids around. But it's something we can spend 15 hours on (yeah, yeah, our motto is "we may be slow, but we're slow"), and the only thing we've done to it is get an 11-34 9-spd cassette to help us on the occasional 15% grade. That said, it never hurts to have something lighter so you're not pushing as much around all day.
I have a davidson tandem that davidson calls the double century...I must say I've only ridden a century on it. I haven't ridden a double c since 1987...but I am building up a century bike and yes componets are not my first priority. carbon is the first on my list. carbon frame and fork! comfort, comfort and did I say comfort! I'm going with a standard 53/39 cranks (I have a bike with compact cranks which I use for hilly courses...mt. tam, diablo, santa cruz, hamilton, etc) but the kestrel will be have a 12x28 rear cassette which will put me pretty close, but keeps my top end speed. I'm trying to get a fizik arione seat...again, comfort. I've got a ti seatpost, but does anyone think a carbon seatpost will add to the comfort?
Old 11-09-04, 02:04 AM
pedal
Real riders break wind.

Bikes: Norco CRR two, Devinci Sydney, Norco Team DH, Norco Kris Holm Unicycle, (BMX was stolen).

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd ride my bike this Friday! (OK I'm a bit excited about the ride)

52/42 crank 12/23 crank, CF Fork and stays, 23c tires.
Old 11-09-04, 08:54 AM
teamawe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You ride the same bike you ride every day, you just carry an extra tube with you.
Old 11-09-04, 10:11 AM
bikerski

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tour easy recumbent. Can ride as long as the legs hold out.
Old 11-09-04, 10:33 AM
pedal
Real riders break wind.

Bikes: Norco CRR two, Devinci Sydney, Norco Team DH, Norco Kris Holm Unicycle, (BMX was stolen).

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pedal
I'd ride my bike this Friday! (OK I'm a bit excited about the ride)

52/42 crank 12/23 crank, CF Fork and stays, 23c tires.
I meant 12/23 cassette. I was tired...
Old 11-09-04, 01:02 PM
Charles

Bikes: Seven Alaris, Cannondale, Pro Flex 856

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are going to do the Davis Double the climbs are not very hard. I don't think you will need a compack crank.I used to do the Davis every year untill I got sick of the rout and my low gear was a 39-26 and it was low enough.
Old 11-09-04, 01:31 PM
cchandler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are going to need some really big gears to go 200MPH. The wimpy 55-11 will not be enough.
Old 11-09-04, 03:58 PM
53-11 alltheway

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fogrider
Ihave a 12x28 rear cassette which will put me pretty close,:
12/28.....You talking about the IRD cassette?
Old 11-09-04, 04:07 PM
mrballistic
Boo-ya!

Bikes: Handbuilt steel with Ultegra10/FSA parts; a fully customized Bianchi Pista with phil hubs, carbon fork, king headset, etc. it's tough.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
53-11.... using a 12x27 is cheating, right? shouldn't you do the whole thing with an 11x21? and a steel bike? and a big, heavy anchor connected via a big chain to your seatpost? then you'll really be doing a double century.

i'd also look into disabling your fd so that you force yourself to stay in the 53t.

t
Old 11-09-04, 05:21 PM
K&M

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A few years ago I did five of the Northern CA double centuries. I used an inexpensive steel Look frame (w/CF fork) built up with the moderately priced Veloce group and workhorse Campy Montreal wheels. Rear cluster was 28X13. It may not have been the lightest or fastest bike around, but the comfy steel ride kept fatigue at bay and I had no difficulty finishing most doubles in around 11 hours on it.

On the other hand, if I get back into riding doubles this year it will probably be on a tandem. Some companionship is nice on a 200 mile ride.
Old 11-09-04, 06:31 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
A lot of peeps are still upset that you want a gear (53x11) you won't spin out. Hey everybody get over it! On the other hand, you are building up a lot of bikes or at least always "thinking of building up" another. I think you probably have a bike or several that will go the distance. The one with the least steep seat tube angle probably best for long ride. How about a Saddleco Flow saddle to keep your bum happy? Check the review at cyclingnews dot com. It sounds like a really comfortable seat for a long day in the saddle.
Old 11-09-04, 06:55 PM
53-11 alltheway

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrballistic
53-11.... using a 12x27 is cheating, right? shouldn't you do the whole thing with an 11x21? and a steel bike? and a big, heavy anchor connected via a big chain to your seatpost? then you'll really be doing a double century.

i'd also look into disabling your fd so that you force yourself to stay in the 53t.

t
NO!!!!!!!! I am using 11-27 wheels manufacturing Conversion cassette. Thereby giving me 50-11 top gear (equal to 54-12).

I would never use an 12 tooth cassette. Period!!!!!!

P.S. On a 200 mile ride I don't need to break any speed records. Top Gearing quivalent to 54-12 is sufficient!

Last edited by 53-11 alltheway; 11-09-04 at 07:07 PM.