Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Do you bring your helmet on long tours?

Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Do you bring your helmet on long tours?

Old 01-23-05, 07:11 AM
motion5447
Chief Wheelfoot

Bikes: kona jake, dahon boardwalk, Surly LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JimboTrek
Motion, hello again!
You NEED to read my post below. Last August, I crashed and my helmet probably saved my life.

"Why you need to wear a helmet -- NOW!" http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=73912

JimboTrek, i had read your post a while back, though not knowing it was yours, it still made a strong impression on me. How are you recovering?

To my suprise i had my first close call in about 10 years of riding some sort of bicycle. I was riding home late at night, on the sidewalk for some reason. I was spacing of to my cyclo computer, thinking i was safe. Then my front wheel went down, and lost temporary control. After i realized i was ok, i went back to see a little electric service door was open. Only about 2 inches for my wheel, but enough to toss me.

I can only imagine if i was tossed, and didnt have my helmet (which i didnt), the curb could have hurt a lot.

By this i realize i can crash anytime, and thats what a helmet is, prevention. I might not have fully realized this, and built up an arrogance about my skills. In any case, i need to get a new one before my next ride.
Old 01-23-05, 10:01 AM
tulip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My worst head injury was on a rural road with no traffic. I was wearing a helmet. I had to be airlifted to a trauma center 100 miles away. Take your helmet and wear it.
Old 01-23-05, 01:08 PM
photojtn
Treking

Bikes: Trek 520, Schwinn Le tour luxe, Schwinn High Plains, Sakkit Expedition signature.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ALWAYS,ALWAYS wear my helmet!!!
Old 01-23-05, 01:20 PM
Sebach

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take your helmet, EVERY FRIGGIN TIME! The ONE time in like 10 years I didn't bring my helmet on a ride cause I forgot it at school (going only 1.5 miles home), I had a crash! The ONE time! Whatever happened to my bike, it sent me over my handle bars at like 15mph. Luckily I was airborne long enough to tuck and pull my head under me before landing on my shoulders and rolling out, but I was still bleeding from a half dozen spots. I'm not sure what happened (hard to tell cause my bike was wrecked: everything on the front half was either bent, cracked, stretched, snapped or blown), but it looks like my front v-brakes failed and ended up in my spokes somehow. Ever since then, I bring my helmet all the time, except on 30 foot general mechanics-testing in my driveway.

Murphy works in mysterious ways. Take the helmet.
Old 01-23-05, 01:35 PM
sakarias

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We've worn a helmet on every ride we have taken since we bought helmets right after Bell first came out with bicycling helmets, 30 years ago. We wanted to grow up to be old bicyclists. We're getting there.

If you have kids, the best way to get them to wear a helmet is to ALWAYS wear a helmet yourself. (You teach best when you teach by example.)

Modern helmets are so-o-o much lighter compared to the first Bell's, so much better ventillated, you almost don't feel it, anymore. The Giro Pneumo is my choice (whenthey still came with removable visors). My wife uses a Bell Ghisalo, or an X-Ray (for the visor in rain -- we both wear glasses).

Mike
Old 01-24-05, 03:39 AM
JimboTrek
Thru-Hiker/Biker

Bikes: Raleigh MT-400

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A-OK here. I've done all the physical recovering that I can, but I still have a few permanent injuries... too bad a wasn't wearing a motorcycle helmet! It's so true what everyone is saying: an accident will happen when you least expect it. So get a skid lid and wear it even if you'll only be riding 5 feet! (I've also crashed going less than 0.25 mph!) My mom bought me that now cracked Bell Image Pro...best $75 she's ever spent!

As for a new brain bucket ...don't fret about prices too much. You can get a good lid from $50-100 clams. (Then again if you spend $200 and god-forbid...crash, you'll never think about how much you spent. Anyway, look for one with these features:
>Good fit: measure your head, then go to a LBS and try several on
>Lots-o-vents; the more, the better
>Visor: a must for sunny days and keeping rain rolling down your browe
>your favorite color, of course

The latest helmets are so cool looking, you'll want to wear it off the bike too!
Old 01-24-05, 04:21 AM
Trekke
Lets Ride

Bikes: Trek 1200, Lemond Sarthe, Gary Fisher Tass

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wear the helmet. Always.
Old 01-24-05, 06:43 AM
Jay H
One less car

Bikes: '08 Soma Groove (commuter/long distance tourer), '97 Lemond Zurich (road commuter/tourer),'01 Seven Axiom Ti, '03 Look KG381i, '01 Santa Cruz Superlite X

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've used some adventure cycling routes. I would take a helmet because the route isn't always the safest. Case in point. The atlantic coastal route across NY east of the Hudson between say Poughkeepsie and Millerton is not exactly the safest having you go up rt 9 for a bit and through downtown areas, however, the concern of ACA is not always just safety, its also to provide an interesting route with landmarks and sights to see on the way. By going up Rt 9 north of Poughkeepsie, you go by marist col, the CIA, Hyde Park, FDR's home, Vanderbilt Mansion, the nice town of Rhinebeck, etc. Things to do. If it wanted a truly "safe" route it could easily guide you through a lot of the backroads in Putnam/Dutchess county but it would bypass all those landmarks I've mentioned above. So, just because it's a "suggested touring route" it doesn't mean it's the safest and of course, there are some backroads around here that I would feel less safe than some major interstates with a wide shoulder!

Jay
Old 01-24-05, 06:45 AM
Applehead57
slower than you

Bikes: Gunnar Road Sport, peugeot UO-10

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Who in their right mind wouldn't wear a helmet?
When I do stupid stuff, I need that protection.
Old 01-27-05, 12:10 PM
Blackberry
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As I recall from an Adventure Cyclist tour, they required it. They also gave us a reflective triangle that we were strongly urged to wear. It was geeky, but people did it.
Old 01-27-05, 12:20 PM
denisegoldberg

Bikes: Peter Mooney (touring), Bike Friday Pocket Rocket (road), Bike Friday Air Glide (touring)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wear your helmet!

I'm lucky I always wear mine. I had a bad crash last May, and I was told by my docs that if I hadn't been wearing my helmet I would not have survived.
Old 01-27-05, 02:46 PM
darkmother
Get the stick.

Bikes: 12 Y.O. Litespeed MTB, IRO Jamie Roy fixie, Custom Habanero Ti 'Cross, No name SS MTB, Old school lugged steel track bike (soon)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let me put it this way. I have hit my head on pavement-hard- both with and without a helmet on my head. In the instances where I was wearing my helmet, I felt slightly dizzy afterwards, and thought I might be sick on one occasion, but it passed. On the one instance where I was not wearing my helmet, and smacked my head-hard-on the pavement I ended up, in no particular order: puking 1/2 a stomach full of blood(which had dripped into said organ, after sliding down my throat from my crushed sinus) all over my bedsheets; 250 stainless steel staples (to close the 180 degree surgical scar running from ear to ear accross the top of my head-makes me real popular at the barber's); Seven titanium plates, and numerious screws (installed to hold broken bones in my skull, cheekbone, and orbit together); A three week vacation at the local hospital; the bliss that can only come from spending endless hours and days in the neurological ward, surrounded by charming human vegetables who deficate in their beds more than often than I would have thought possible given how little food is poured down the tubes in thier throats; and for those of you without health care, a $63 000 dollar tab; and last but not least an extra semester in mechanical engineering to make up for the one I missed.

The choice, naturally, is yours to make but I will point out that every single one of my friends who knew me at the time of my accident now wears a helmet when riding. Always. As do I.
Old 01-27-05, 08:06 PM
axolotl

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I've had two bike accidents, both while touring overseas, and neither involved a motor vehicle. The first took place 25 years ago, when helmets were still fairly rare. I wasn't wearing a helmet. The accident was caused by a broken fender/mudguard. All I know about the accident is what my friend later told me. I went flying over the handlebars while going down a hill in western Ireland. I had a serious concussion, had amnesia for 48 hours, and was hospitalized for 2 nights. My face was stitched up in 3 places.

I began wearing a helmet when I returned home after that accident, and in the early 1980s, I was often openly laughed at or stared at when biking outside of North America. There was a time not too many years ago when only Americans, Canadians, Kiwis, & Aussies wore helmets.

Years later, I was descending a long hill on the Great Ocean Road in Australia, pulling a Burley trailer carrying my friends' one year old boy. At the bottom of the hill around a blind curve was a bridge with a wooden plank surface. The old planks had partially rotted away and there were many wide gaps in the road surface, one of which immediately swallowed my front wheel. I had been breaking as much as I could before my wheel was caught. I was unable to cross the bridge diagonally to prevent from getting caught in a gap because there happened to be a car coming in the other direction. I flew over the handlebars. The clever trailer hitch design worked precisely as intended and the trailer stayed upright and the toddler was unharmed. His mother told me my helmet lightly hit the side of the bridge, but I didn't feel anything, nor could I see any damage to the helmet. My front wheel was pretzeled and I had a broken rib or two, which didn't keep me from continuing the tour once I had replaced the wheel.

About 5 years ago, my helmet served me well in an unexpected way. A friend & I were touring in Tunisia. In several isolated villages in different parts of the country, young boys harassed us in different ways such as throwing stones at us, attempting to block us in the road, and even trying to pull us down while riding. In one small oasis village just north of the Sahara, a boy launched a huge date palm branch into the air, and it came down on my helmet. I was unharmed.
Old 01-28-05, 10:42 AM
bikerbob1

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro,Easy Racer Gold Rush, Norco

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wear the helmet. Life is just too short to take the chance. If you are touring with Adventure Cycling the use of the helmet is not only required but mandatory.
Enjoy the tour.
The Adventure Cycling leader I had on Northern Tour in 2003 was absolutely fantastic. I ride anywhere with him.
Old 01-29-05, 01:20 AM
Sebach

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I stepped out of the house today, all ready to go for a ride. As I was mounting my bike, a small piece of ice (about the size of a golfball I'd say) fell off the roof and hit my helmet. Wear the helmet
Old 01-29-05, 02:50 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 49 Posts
1. Check to see if Adventure Cycling requires you to wear it to ride with them. They most likely do because of insurance issues.

2. Check with the country you'll be cycling in to see if they require it. More and more countries are making it mandatory. (In Australia, they'll fine you if you don't wear it)

3. Helmets are light and comfortable. If you don't have one that's light and comfortable (i.e. made in the last 5 years) buy a new one, the one you have is too old to protect you anyway!

4. I'd be willing to bet that if you show up without a helmet, you'll be the "odd man out".

5. Disregarding all comments about accidents and safe roads and all that ... one good reason to wear a helmet is BIRDS! Birds dive-bomb cyclists when they feel their nests are being threatened. My helmet has protected me from their beaks many, many times!
Old 01-29-05, 09:42 AM
funbun
Doomsled

Bikes: Performer JC-70

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dude, take the helmet. This is not a question to ask. It's like a figher pilot asking, "Should I take a parachute?" DUH!
Old 01-29-05, 10:17 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1259 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A long time ago, I mentioned a freeway overpass in Temecula at the I -15..I was in the right bike lane...I heard a clank on an overpass rail..I looked up..A truck was speeding in the freeway's right lane.Well, a pipe wrench apparently fell off the truck over the rail of the overpass and onto the street. Must have fallen , what 50 feet.....It fell , luckily on a lane, where no traffic was ...Someone on this fourm, mentioned tools are left on truck bed surfaces all the time..
It could have fell on my helmet, if it had fallen 30 feet later..
Real story..Honest ..

Last edited by cyclezealot; 01-29-05 at 12:51 PM.