Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What do you wear in 50-55 degree weather?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-15, 06:15 AM
snow_echo_NY

Bikes: Scott Genius, Surly Crosscheck, Yuba Mundo cargo, Specialized Dolce Triple (stolen 5/8/15)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i've had lots of days riding in 65 degree weather. lots of days riding in 40 degree weather. but somehow i can't get it right, dressing for 55. i keep overdressing.

i live in NY. today i wore:
thin microfiber pants (too hot after 5-10 min of riding)
thin wool baselayer top (also too hot after 5-10 min of riding)
thin gloves
ankle socks
cycling shoes

my hands start out cold and then quickly overheat within 10-15 min of riding. i suppose i should shed those. i'm thinking i go back to short sleeves and arm warmers. for bottoms, switch back to shorts.

i should just be riding cold, right? or are there any other suggestions?
Old 10-06-15, 06:26 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
I just use arm warmers. Commuting to work lately the mornings are more in the 45 to 50 range and I'll wear my normal fingerless gloves, a wool baselayer (SS With arm warmers or LS) and a wind proof vest. I leave the vest off coming home and half the time forget it at work so some mornings I don't have it. I'm also wearing thicker wool socks these days.

Generally I target being cold for the first 15 min or so. On chilly mornings it sometimes takes me 30 min to get warm. There isn't a big downside to wearing an extra layer, you just sweat a little more.
Old 10-06-15, 06:59 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
@snow_echo_NY,

You've discovered the enigma temperature for riding. I try to think about my extremities when things cool off. So, warmer socks in my normal shoes. A kerchief tied over my head. Thin gloves.

Yesterday was that range, and I overdressed on the top, with a long sleeve wicking tech layer, and my convertible wind vest/sleeves over top. It was too warm, and I could've left the sleeves off.

So, greg's suggestion ^ about shorts and arm warmers would also have worked with a normal short sleeve jersey and wind vest. In fact, I'm going to try that tomorrow. PG
Old 10-06-15, 07:01 AM
YogaKat
Padawan

Bikes: Orbea Mitis Dama, Bridgestone Sirius, Cranbrook Cruiser, Cheap Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not commuting, but I do my daily ride in the morning and it's been around those temps here when I head out.

I started with long leggings and a light jacket, but found that after I warmed up it was just too much.

What I've found to work for me is my bike shorts, knee socks, and a tank top covered up by a long sleeve light micro-fiber shirt.

(I'm cold natured by the way)
Old 10-06-15, 07:06 AM
snow_echo_NY

Bikes: Scott Genius, Surly Crosscheck, Yuba Mundo cargo, Specialized Dolce Triple (stolen 5/8/15)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok i'm going to switch back to shorts and a short sleeve top with arm warmers. or super thin long sleeve top, no wool baselayer until below 50.

i found this, but they're in the south. they're 60 degree weather outfit sounds like what i should be using for 50 degree.
What to Wear in Various Weather | Road Bike Rider

thanks all for the suggestions so far~
Old 10-06-15, 07:10 AM
YogaKat
Padawan

Bikes: Orbea Mitis Dama, Bridgestone Sirius, Cranbrook Cruiser, Cheap Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by snow_echo_NY
ok i'm going to switch back to shorts and a short sleeve top with arm warmers. or super thin long sleeve top, no wool baselayer until below 50.

i found this, but they're in the south. they're 60 degree weather outfit sounds like what i should be using for 50 degree.
What to Wear in Various Weather | Road Bike Rider

thanks all for the suggestions so far~
Thanks for the helpful link. This will be my first winter after starting cycling.
Old 10-06-15, 07:57 AM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thats the typical morning temperature in the Seattle area for a good part of the year.
Shorts, active wear short sleeve shirt, and my J&G jacket with all the vents open, and not zipped up all the way.
Old 10-06-15, 08:01 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 115 Posts
I don't switch out of shorts until the temps hit the low 30s. I find I lose very little heat through my legs.

For low 50s I'll switch to a long sleeve shirt, full fingered cycle gloves and a headband to cover my ears. The headband is a little much and usually gets soaked in sweat.

Remember, dress so you're chilly when you start the ride. If you start out warm you'll be too hot a couple miles down the road. If you start out chilly you'll be about right.
Old 10-06-15, 08:19 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
50-55F is my favorite commuting temperature. I wear a light t-shirt and shorts. If it is wet or damp, I may wear a long-sleeve t-shirt. I use the "10-minute rule". I dress for how I will feel once I warm up. This works out well, even in the winter. Although I carry an extra layer in case I have to stop due to a flats or mechanical problems. Even in the summer on the morning ride in to the office it may be 10-degrees warmer when I arrive. Worst case scenario, I pull over, take off my jacket and stuff it in my bag and maybe switch to lighter gloves (which I carry). Takes less than a minute and I can often do it at a traffic light. (a kick-stand helps, although I don't have one on my road bike). Of course YMMV so experiment with what works for you. Personally, I find down to 32F it's more about covering skin rather than holding in heat. A few years ago I began putting thermometers on my bikes...the cheap $2 keychain type from the camping store which were hard to read. Then I switched to a $10 digital kitchen-window type for one bike and a $5 round mechanical thermometer for the other. With my new bike, I bought a speedometer/bike computer that had a built-in thermometer ~$18. I find the difference in temperature throughout my commute routes interesting.
Old 10-06-15, 08:20 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I start out cold in that range (wearing the same as any summer day) and warm up after a few miles. But it takes me 2 or 3 miles to warm up, so if I was only going that distance total I'd have on arm warmers or long sleeve jersey, and light gloves. Or, that's a pretty good temperature to just wear street clothes at an easy pace.
Old 10-06-15, 10:26 AM
SpikedLemon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For commuting at those temps: I'll wear jeans & underarmour long-sleeve. Depends on how I feel whether I wear an underarmour cold gear or the Walmart branded stuff (which is thicker than the heat-gear underarmour and has a mock turtleneck). My commute is about 45 minutes at a light pace (I don't want to show up sweaty) and I change my shirt when I get into the office.

When cycling around on the weekend: fleece lined bike kit (long sleeves & pants), gloves and, depending on my feet temp that morning, wool socks or low-cut socks. I'll sometimes put on an undershirt under the long sleeve jersey for added wind breaking.

I normally start our rather cool feeling but warm up within 5-10 minutes.
Old 10-06-15, 10:38 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by snow_echo_NY
i've had lots of days riding in 65 degree weather. lots of days riding in 40 degree weather. but somehow i can't get it right, dressing for 55. i keep overdressing.

i live in NY. today i wore:
thin microfiber pants (too hot after 5-10 min of riding)
thin wool baselayer top (also too hot after 5-10 min of riding)
thin gloves
ankle socks
cycling shoes

my hands start out cold and then quickly overheat within 10-15 min of riding. i suppose i should shed those. i'm thinking i go back to short sleeves and arm warmers. for bottoms, switch back to shorts.

i should just be riding cold, right? or are there any other suggestions?
Jersey
Arm warmers
Shorts
Regular riding gloves
Regular socks
Cycling shoes

That is what I wore home last night and it was 53° for my ride home. I was as close to being comfortable as possible.
Old 10-06-15, 10:40 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
A parka/anorak & the same Poly blend sweatpants as the rest of the year..

Fifty F is often the summer low and winter high temperature here.

double up sweatshirt under the hoodie under the parka and sweatpants as long johns..

cloudy means less heat loss in the night ,, today H 51, L 45... light rain..

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-11-18 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-06-15, 10:41 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
55 is still shorts and t shirt weather. 50 is where I toss on a compression top and some running shorts underneath. That takes me down to about 40, where I'll toss on a windbreaker layer.
Old 10-06-15, 11:23 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I wear a pair of REI Sahara pants that have zip off legs and a short sleeved shirt at 55, long sleeved at 50. I take both shirts with because I usually end up wearing something a little different on the way home.
Old 10-06-15, 11:30 AM
GovernorSilver

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, Jamis Renegade Expert

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Today was the first time I rode in under 60F weather - it was 52-54 F. Wore shorts, polyester t-shirt, socks, and (finally!) dry shoes, with Pearl Izumi Elite jacket on top. Turned out to be just right for me. The jacket was sufficient protection from the slightly chilly wind/breeze, yet vented enough so I only worked up a slight amount of sweat by the time I completed by 12-13 mile commute.

Took my backpack instead of a pannier. I don't think i would have sweated that much less without the backpack.
Old 10-06-15, 11:43 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
for temps in that range, i just wear shorts and a t-shirt.

below 50 i throw on a long sleeve t-shirt and gloves.

below 40 i throw on a light jacket and heavier socks.

below 30 i throw on tights, ear protection, switch to boots, and double up on the gloves.

50 - 60 is what i consider ideal riding temps, no special clothes needed and very little sweating, unless i'm pushing unusually hard.

Last edited by Steely Dan; 10-06-15 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10-06-15, 11:48 AM
wu_osiris

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had this experience just this morning. I wear my biking shorts, nike dri-fit shorts over that. Under Armour long-sleeve and half-finger gloves. I'm warmed up by mile 2 or 3 and right near sweating before I arrive at work.
Old 10-06-15, 11:56 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Very thin running tights with mt bike shorts over. Thin wool long sleeve top ( Pantagonia rules) with a short sleeve shirt over it. Headband under helmet and gloves( always)
Old 10-06-15, 12:19 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
From 50-60 degrees I wear shorts and a jersey or polyester T-shirt with a thin long sleeve jersey over top. The long sleeves have basically the same effect as arm warmers, but the extra torso layer provides a nice buffer against cold air without holding in too much heat.
Old 10-06-15, 01:00 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Depends on humidity/sun is out?/etc. But probably short sleeve jersey or tshirt and shorts.
Maybe arm and leg warmers + lite gloves that I can take off when I get warm from hills.
Sometimes the day may start in the 50's; and rise to the 60's towards the evening.

Old 10-06-15, 01:06 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
I wore bib tights over my bibshorts, jersey, and wool armwarmers. full finger gloves and wind vest. I was comfortable and did not stop to take the vest off. I did unzip some. 50F this morning. But I tend to be cold more often than a lot of the other riders in the commuting forum. I have the stuff so I am going with what makes me comfortable. I can always take off the vest or arm warmers if I want

I also take into account the humidity level and what the weather is supposed to be like at the end of the day.

Last edited by RidingMatthew; 10-06-15 at 01:10 PM.
Old 10-06-15, 01:08 PM
chefisaac

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You should be slightly cold when leaving your place. And what to wear is highly personal. For that weather, I can still go out in a jersey, shorts, bibs, gloves, Buff, socks, shoes, helmet. I might wear a thin winds breaker if needed.
Old 10-06-15, 01:12 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
I wear the same thing as I do in the 90's for the 50's. If it dips below 50 I throw on arm warmers.
Old 10-06-15, 03:01 PM
snow_echo_NY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok you guys are the best. after reading everyone's responses, i'm gonna switch back to shorts (i've been bringing shorts with me to commute home, b/c the temps rise 10 degrees here for the afternoon ride, usually 65 when i go home - so i'll just wear them the entire time) and just use arm warmers. maybe switch out to thinner mesh gloves.

hoping i get this right tomorrow!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.