Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Soft Bar Tape

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-19, 10:44 AM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
Soft Bar Tape

Anyone have a recommendation for a soft, comfortable bar tape,?? Also, why is it that bar tape isn't used on flat bar bikes.??

Last edited by BirdsBikeBinocs; 04-05-19 at 11:16 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-05-19, 01:08 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
All the padded tape I have is old stock so can't tell you what brands are out there now, but I recommend the padded tape. Gives a nice feel for touring, but I also still wear gloves. I think Innovations made some of what I use.

You could use tape on straight bars and some people might, but it's easier to use grips that are probably thicker and provide better cushioning.
Old 04-05-19, 01:21 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Using gel pads under standard bar tape has worked well for my wife. It gives some cushion and yet if firm. https://www.nashbar.com/fizik-bar-ge...702302/p314887
Old 04-05-19, 01:29 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2480 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts
I always leave on one layer of old tape and wrap the new tape onto the old tape.
Old 04-05-19, 01:30 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
I don't remember the brand, but the last time I re-wrapped my road bars, I left the old tape on and overwrapped it. I liked the little larger circumference it provided and it's good and "cushy" also.
Old 04-05-19, 01:40 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by BirdsBikeBinocs
Anyone have a recommendation for a soft, comfortable bar tape,?? Also, why is it that bar tape isn't used on flat bar bikes.??
Do you want to put your hands between the grips on a flat bar? Just curious, I don't know anybody who rides that way.

Grips work well on flat bars because they're easy to fit, and damn near impossible to fit for drops.
Old 04-05-19, 01:46 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Needing Peer Support?

Also, why is it that bar tape isn't used on flat bar bikes.??
It's a choice, no one will compel you to put a grip on the bars .... do what you wish..

you probably have a limit to what you see.. or saw..
Old 04-05-19, 01:47 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Cushy (aka "comfortable"?) and soft seem to be ask.. I like Fizik's tape; in your case I'd give the Tembo Bondcush Soft a shot:
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/f...t-bar-tape?s=a
Old 04-05-19, 02:11 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
I've always been happy with Cinelli cork gel tape. I also liked the Nashbar tape, but I doubt that's around anymore since Nashbar got bought out.
Old 04-05-19, 03:23 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Zipp Service course, my go to for all bikes. Great stuff and not crazy spendy either!
Old 04-05-19, 03:26 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
some of each..

And there is Under tape Gel pads ..this (Fizik) was put on my C&V road bike,

On my straight bar bikes 2 have Ergon grip/bar end setups , 1 has round grips..

Trekking bars are double layer taped...

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-10-19 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-05-19, 06:35 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Do you want to put your hands between the grips on a flat bar? Just curious, I don't know anybody who rides that way.

Grips work well on flat bars because they're easy to fit, and damn near impossible to fit for drops.
Um, no. I have no need to put tape between the grips. Why would I do that.?? I am asking why not put tape where the grips are, eliminating the grips. And no, I wouldn't put grips on drop bars.

In all due respect, after re-reading your post, I understand now what you were asking. No, I wouldn't ride with my hands between the grips.
Old 04-05-19, 06:58 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
The COOP bikes at REI seem to have some super cushion thick bar tape. I have no idea how well it performs and what happens when it gets wet. Personal choice.. I don't like super cushion tape, I end up grabbing too tight to get a good confident grip when I am riding off road or in gravel and it ends up making things worse on my hands instead of better on long rides.
I personally like Planet Bike comfort cork. It has a silicone strip back for easy rewrap and removal (website description says adhesive backed but my last two sets were just a tacky silicone strip), comfortable and it performs well wet and dry, and has a gel like feel compared to any other other cork I've tried. I put an old piece of whatever I have laying around on the outside of the drops under it, not so it is double wrapped but just some extra where the outside of my hand rests. I've seen some people do that on the flats to.

Kind of related..
Walmart.com has Fizik gel pads on clearance. Low stock but only $10.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bar-Gel-4...Tape/733036213

Last edited by u235; 04-05-19 at 07:17 PM.
Old 04-05-19, 08:34 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Um, no. I have no need to put tape between the grips. Why would I do that.?? I am asking why not put tape where the grips are, eliminating the grips. And no, I wouldn't put grips on drop bars.

In all due respect, after re-reading your post, I understand now what you were asking. No, I wouldn't ride with my hands between the grips.

It's always interesting to try to figure out why something isn't done the other way. I think there are probably two reasons tape isn't used on flat bars. First is being flat doesn't really offer a natural place for the hand to grip, so the handle grips provide an irregular surface that sort of catches the hands. With drops, you're really grasping the bars from the side, usually either on the hoods or the drops, this really allows you to grasp the bars with your thumbs opposite from the fingers. With flats, all of your digits are on the same side, so unless there's something substantial to hold onto, your hands will tend to slip. The second reason, I'm guessing, is that I think that tape is going to unravel off of a flat bar more easily than off drops.

I have seen tube stuff that was supposed to take the place of bar tape, but not in a few decades. Basically, it was foam rubber grips, kind of like pipe insulation.
Old 04-05-19, 10:16 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts

I dont have a close up of the new tape but it feels good to me.

On my Raleigh I wrapped Brooks leather over some cork tape, not sure of brand. It looks kinda fat, but feels good.

I just put on this red Fizik 2mm tape. The old cloth stuff was on its 4th year, and I don't like shellac, so it was getting pretty dingy. This was after unwrapping and throwing in the washing machine. I started wrapping over the cloth, but thought it looked too fat, so I wrapped it over bare bars.

Last edited by Slightspeed; 04-05-19 at 10:21 PM.
Old 04-05-19, 10:30 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
Zipp Service course, my go to for all bikes. Great stuff and not crazy spendy either!
+1, although I've learned that there are two types: "Road" and "CX". The former is pretty conventional foam-based tape, but not bad. The CX tape is the good stuff: thicker and "rubberier" in a comfy and durable way. And the white tape cleans up surprisingly well.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-05-19, 10:43 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Originally Posted by livedarklions
It's always interesting to try to figure out why something isn't done the other way. I think there are probably two reasons tape isn't used on flat bars. First is being flat doesn't really offer a natural place for the hand to grip, so the handle grips provide an irregular surface that sort of catches the hands. With drops, you're really grasping the bars from the side, usually either on the hoods or the drops, this really allows you to grasp the bars with your thumbs opposite from the fingers. With flats, all of your digits are on the same side, so unless there's something substantial to hold onto, your hands will tend to slip. The second reason, I'm guessing, is that I think that tape is going to unravel off of a flat bar more easily than off drops.

I have seen tube stuff that was supposed to take the place of bar tape, but not in a few decades. Basically, it was foam rubber grips, kind of like pipe insulation.
I understand what you're saying. On the flatbar Schwinn that I ride I am often placing the heal on my hands on top of the widest point of the bars. Sort of like having those bar end grips that are slighly vertical. And almost like gripping hoods on drops but there is nothing to hold onto. My fingers and thumbs are free from gripping anything. So any control that I have is conducive to the heals of my hands.
I have a new bike coming with drops. I love the bike but the tape is rather thin promoting a hard surface while gripping the corners of the dropbars. I haven't spent a lot of time on the bike but that's my initial thought, feel. I hope to have the new Specialized E5 Comp paid off in a couple weeks. Looking forward to that bike. Aluminum with a 105 groupset.
Old 04-05-19, 11:01 PM
Mitkraft

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
I have actually done everything listed in this thread I think.

As for soft bar tape my two favorites are Profile Design and Specialized gel tapes. I also like the planet bike gel pads for extra comfort. My current method is to use my old wrap as a tight base layer, then put the gel pads on, and finally wrapping with the new tape. The result is a very cushy bar.

I have also wrapped a flat bar. Before recently making some upgrades to my mountain bike I had some really cheap bell ergo grips combined with some bar extenders. I used some inner tube to make the bars kinda even all the way from the grips to the end of the bar extenders. Then I wrapped them with bar tape. It worked ok but I know it probably looked funky and I decided not to redo it after some upgrades.
Old 04-05-19, 11:11 PM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Cannondale Synapse tape is $20 and is cushiony. Maybe not as cushiony as some of the Fizik 3.5 thick tape, but it's less expensive.
Old 04-07-19, 11:47 AM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
I lucked out, went into a sporting goods store early in the season, before the hockey coaches could buy out the entire stock( like they usually do), it's for hockey sticks:
Hockey Tape
Old 04-07-19, 04:00 PM
ChinookTx

Bikes: Lynskey GR270

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
I like Lizard Skins DSP bar tape. The 2.5 or 3.2 is very comfy.
Old 04-07-19, 06:43 PM
Drago1010

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4 Comp Disc.Cannondale Synapse, Fuji Tread 1.0, Marin Larkspur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
S-Works Roubaix tape - ~$30, w gel pads. Very comfy.
Old 04-10-19, 04:19 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I'm a late in life convert to more expensive, soft bar tape after buying a Trek Domane that came with Bontrager Double Gel Cork Handlebar Tape. I've found it very comfortable, and durable. It is on a bit of a sale right now via Trek - look here.

They have some slightly less expensive, less padded similar tape in more colors, as well.
Old 04-10-19, 06:58 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,396 Times in 1,930 Posts
why is it that bar tape isn't used on flat bar bikes.??
Flat bars generally only have one hand position, so a hand grip is usually sufficient.
Old 04-10-19, 08:41 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
I bought my Roubaix used and it had gel pads under the tape. I hated the feel. Took it off and replaced with a fizik bar tape. Don't recall which thickness but it wasn't the thickest. Big improvement for me. So many choices out there you just need to pick something and give it a try. It's not a huge investment so if it doesn't work out, get something else.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.